8 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2015 10:46 AM by ssprengel

RAW images .. in Lightroom ..

marvboater1

I have a Nikon D810 camera and shoot RAW images .. in Lightroom when I loaded the file from the memory card it looked as shot ..

then when I clicked on 'develop' the onscreen image became 'dull' .. ? .. I use the 'tools' to recreate the image but it is never like the original image ..

what am I doing wrong ? ..

Marv .. marvboater1@aol.com

• 1. Re: RAW images .. in Lightroom ..
          dj_paige Level 9

You're not doing anything wrong. That's how Lightroom works.

For a few seconds, it shows you the JPG preview (which has been edited by the JPG algorithm in your camera) and then when Lightroom has a chance to render the actual RAW image, which is completely unedited, you then see the rendered RAW which may indeed look "dull". It is then up to you to edit as appropriate.

You might want to take a look at Lightroom 5 - Create Stunning Images | Getting Started with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV

• 2. Re: RAW images .. in Lightroom ..
            marvboater1 Level 1

thanks for your response to my post ..

question - how can I set up my Lightroom to manage my Nikon RAW images ? .. can you walk me thru the set up ? .. step by step ? ..

Marv ..

Marv ..

sent from my iPad 2 air ..

• 3. Re: RAW images .. in Lightroom ..
              dj_paige Level 9

question - how can I set up my Lightroom to manage my Nikon RAW images ? .. can you walk me thru the set up ? .. step by step ? ..

That's an extremely broad question ... I don't know what you mean specifically by "manage" ... however Adobe TV has a lot of tutorial videos that you should watch

Getting Started with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 | Adobe TV

• 4. Re: RAW images .. in Lightroom ..
                marvboater1 Level 1

ok .. I use Lightroom when I copy my raw images from my memory card to my external hard drive .. when I go to develop in LR to crop etc my image goes from clear to dull .. and then I have to use the LR tools to recreate the image ..

question - is there a pre set up in LR that I can use when I copy to the drive so LR will not make the images dull ? ..

Marv ..

sent from my iPad 2 air ..

• 5. Re: RAW images .. in Lightroom ..
                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Generally speaking, raw images will have to be processed. In my owners manual for my camera it specifically states that if you shoot raw images they will need to be processed. This is because different camera makers store settings differently. And many of the settings that you see in the image on the camera's LCD screen will not be read by Lightroom. The LCD screen shows the JPEG preview, not the raw image data.

My approach was to take a typical image that I had newly imported and make all the adjustments necessary to get the image to what I wanted it to be. Then I saved new camera defaults. Those settings became the ones that are applied when I import new images, or when I reset images that have already been imported. That doesn't mean that every image is perfect when you first imported, but I have a good starting point.

Other people like to create presets for different types of images and apply those presets during import. Either way works well. Saving new camera defaults can be ISO-specific if needed. Saving new camera defaults is always camera model specific and file type specific.

• 6. Re: RAW images .. in Lightroom ..
                    trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

marvboater1 wrote:

question - is there a pre set up in LR that I can use when I copy to the drive so LR will not make the images dull ? ..

Try using the 'Camera' profiles, which can be found at the bottom of Develop module panel under 'Camera Calibration> Profile, rather than 'Adobe Standard:

This may be helpful: https://photographylife.com/how-to-get-accurate-nikon-colors-in-lightroom

• 7. Re: RAW images .. in Lightroom ..
                      bob frost Level 3

Yes, try clicking on 'autotune'. Not perfect, but often a good starting point.

Bob frost

• 8. Re: RAW images .. in Lightroom ..
                        ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The initial image you see is the camera’s raw conversion as programmed by Nikon embedded as a JPG preview in the raw file.  There are various camera settings that change how the camera-jpg looks, and it will look markedly different than Adobe’s if you have various auto-fix options turned on like Active-D-Lighting and such.

Adobe has no idea about any of what Nikon is doing with the raw data to product the camera-jpg—they are separate corporations in different countries and their processing methods are non-disclosed to each other or the public—so Adobe’s raw conversion in LR (and other products) starts from a set of Adobe default settings, which won’t really have anything to do with Nikon’s (or Canon’s or Sony’s or Panasonic’s or whatever camera manufacturer your camera is from) settings applied in camera to the camera-jpg.

If you use an Adobe products, you’re in charge of developing the raw files to your tastes using Adobe adjustments.  Other contributors to this thread have mentioned a few things they do to get a better image, quickly, but none of it will have anything to do with how the camera is set for Nikon’s raw conversion so the sooner you learn to ignore what the camera is doing and the sooner you turn off the camera’s auto-fix things (ADL, etc), the better.

I usually take pictures on walks with my dogs so they aren’t controlled studio lighting scenarios and can easily have non-optimal exposure and non-optimal contrast depending on whether my lens is facing more toward the sun or away or if it’s cloudy.

My routine process for each image is to do Auto Tone, double-click Exposure to set to back to zero and perhaps adjust it a little, then sometimes drag the Highlights slider down quite a bit more or all the way to -100, then adjust the Clarity and Vibrance, and finally double-click the Blacks and Whites sliders to set them according to how the rest of the image has been adjusted.