6 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2015 7:21 AM by Bo LeBeau

Saving for web

stamcisco

Hello,

I'm having some problem in creating jpegs through "Save for Web" in Photoshop CC. (MAC platform)

I start with an Indesign file then export as jpeg at 300 dpi at Maximum. Then I open jpeg in photoshop, set it to maximum and 2550 x 3300 pixels.

Screen Shot 2015-05-14 at 2.47.41 PM.png

Once I have the created jpeg, take the same jpeg just to confirm the size is correct, photophop image size dialogue display 35.417 x 45.883 but at 72 dpi which isn't what I want to achieve. Screen Shot 2015-05-14 at 2.49.24 PM.png

I would like retain the size as 8x5" x 11" at 300 dpi.

Does anyone know why the resolution and measurements changed once I place it in photohop?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

stamcisco

• 1. Re: Saving for web
          Bo LeBeau Level 4

Save for Web in Photoshop doesn't save the metadata of the resolution since on the web the pixel dimensions are the important element, not the resolution.

You shouldn't be saving a jpg from InDesign because it makes lousy jpgs.

Export the page as a PDF and open it in Photoshop to rasterize at your desired resolution.The quality is much better.

Then use Save As a jpg rather than Save for Web. Save As will save the resolution.

What is the reason you are saving full page jpgs?

If this is going to be printed, you should just use the PDF. Saving as a jpg rasterizes all vector elements including text.

This is NOT recommended for a print workflow at all.

• 2. Re: Saving for web
            stamcisco Level 1

Thanks Bo for your advice. The reason I save a version based on 2550 x 3300 px @ 300 dpi mainly for  uploading to a posting site for work. This asset (really used as template) is uploaded for our consultant to use and if he/she wishes could download to print via copier hence, quality should be good enough to print and small enough to upload. Jpeg is not intended for commercial printing.

I've tried saving as hi-res pdf in Indesign and went through the same steps in Photoshop as I mentioned previously but still getting the large measurements.

• 3. Re: Saving for web
              Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Why are the printing JPGs? Wouldn't it be much better to print a PDF?

• 4. Re: Saving for web
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I've tried saving as hi-res pdf in Indesign and went through the same steps in Photoshop as I mentioned previously but still getting the large measurements.

Save For Web always sets the resolution to 72ppi and resizes the output dimensions. If you want to maintain the output res and size use Save As and choose JPEG or JPEG 2000 instead.

• 5. Re: Saving for web
                  stamcisco Level 1

Jpeg helps to keep reduce size for faster upload.

Sent from my iPhone

• 6. Re: Saving for web
                    Bo LeBeau Level 4

Rob Day and I have both mentioned the solution to your problem.

. . .Then use Save As a jpg rather than Save for Web. Save As will save the resolution.   (Save for Web will NOT save the resolution)