4 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2015 1:34 PM by aliogul

Air for iOS settings doesn't show

aliogul

Hello,

Flash Pro CS6

When I click Edit App settings icon, nothing happens.

The only way to fix is the move the provision file somewhere else or change its name.

I got tired of doing this every time I want to bring the window.

Is there any solution for this?

• 1. Re: Air for iOS settings doesn't show
          Colin Holgate MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I see things worse than you do! Even deleting the app descriptor doesn't let me edit the settings. The file gets regenerated, but no dialog box comes up. I can't remember the problem or a solution to it. Some reporters of the problem seemed to resort to editing the XML externally.

There have been so many fixes in the three years since CS6, you may at some point need to think about using a more recent version.

• 2. Re: Air for iOS settings doesn't show
            aliogul Level 1

well, I don't know why you are facing this, but I put the provision file into a file, and change the file name each time I want to access the dialog box.

Flash for iOS is an amazing feature, especially for those who have been using Flash for years, but I believe it must get better than it is. I faced tons of issues while trying to finish a simple app.

I would like to believe that this issue, and the grayed out simulator option issue are the last issues.

• 3. Re: Air for iOS settings doesn't show
              sinious Most Valuable Participant

As said, CS6 is very outdated. I expect the only reason they're even continuing to update it (several versions later, CC, CC 2014, CC 2014.2) is a combination of the last outright purchasable suite as well as AS2.0 support for older projects.

I grew up using Flash IDE for graphics and Flash Builder for actually coding/testing my apps. In builder, you edit all your own XML. Since AIR updates quite frequently and the default app XML file is updated fairly frequently with new necessary features, I've never managed the apps XML file from Flash Pro's panel. The file is far less intimidating than it may seem. It comes with a ton of options most people don't need or use as well as verbose comments on each attribute.

What I would highly suggest to you is that you get used to the relevant AIR and iOS settings your app actually needs and manage that XML file by hand yourself, always. When you get used to the file you will be able to remove 80-90% of it and you can see just the parts you need to compile on a single page, no scrolling. Basic app description, orientation, fullscreen, icons, device specific settings and native extensions cover the overwhelming majority of my tiny XML files.

The continuous regeneration of the file is annoying but my simple trick is getting an editor (like FlashDevelop) that opens the XML file and does not auto-update the file, rather, it notices the file has been generated again by Flash and asks you if you want to update. You simply say no and re-save your document so it's back to normal. So after a ton of changes and testing, I only need to go to FlashDevelop once, deny updating and save the file and I don't need to mess with the filesystem, change file names, duplicates, etc. Just hit save right before compiling.

The one thing to look out for is when new devices release, Apple/Google/etc may make a change on their side, almost always regarding a new icon size or device permission. After that happens, AIR updates and may include a sample of these new items. So you should locate where your AIR SDK is installed and take a look at their default template descriptor file (or make a new Flash iOS project and examine the generated XML file). Just look for any changes (both in your devices change notes, and the AIR default file).

The Flash Pro CS6 panel has never kept up with much of anything. You'll be a better developer understanding the file for yourself.

• 4. Re: Air for iOS settings doesn't show
                aliogul Level 1

hello,

thank you for the detailed reply, but I don't want to use the XML, it would be the same. Every time I want to change something, I would need to open XML.

the problem is not me not knowing how to do settings on XML, it is there is available dialog box named "settings for iOS" which aims to do settings in an easier way for developers/designers, and that dialog box does not show up.

I am tired of changing the provision file name in order to bring that dialog box.

If it does not work well on CS6, then there is should not be such option in CS6, it is that simple.

I had to install CreativeCloud and things work in CC, but for those who have the same issue and using CS6, the only thing I can say is GOOD LUCK.

thank you.