5 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2015 4:43 AM by Just Shoot Me

Lightroom 6 upgrade - folder help!

davevaller

Hi, I've just updated to Lightroom 6 and I didn't really realise it was a separate application, rather than an installed update. Maybe i'm confused...  Anyway, if I open the new application (version 6) then all of my photos are there on the drive, but the folder names I had in v5 are gone and just default to the year (see attached image). Feels like the catalog is completely separate for the 2 apps, but my filter presets are there and all my edits and Snapshots are there for each photo.

How do I get v6 to see all my top level folder names? I have a main folder called 'Photos' and inside I have folder names for each shoot. So in v5 for example:    

Photos > Bluebells > 2015-05-07   

Now in v6 it's just:

2105 > 2015-05-07

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Dave

Screen Shot 2015-05-14 at 22.43.30.png

• 1. Re: Lightroom 6 upgrade - folder help!
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Try right clicking on your 2TB WD 3 drive and selecting Show parent folder.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 6 upgrade - folder help!
            99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

During installation you normally get the option to upgrade an existing catalog. It normally gets re-named e.g. MyCatalog-2 or whatever you called your LR5 catalog with -2 appended.

Did you choose to upgrade your catalog or did you re-import?

• 3. Re: Lightroom 6 upgrade - folder help!
              davevaller Level 1

Thanks Just Shoot Me,  I don't seem to have that option though when right click (see attached). Can't find it in a menu either.

Thanks 99jon - I didn't do anything like that. Lightroom kept telling me there was an upgrade available and when I clicked download, it took me through to the main Lightroom website where you can download the standalone app. Rather than do it that way, I went into my Creative Cloud toolbar and downloaded the 2015 version from there. So it's a separate application to the version 5 app and I can open both at once. The new version never asked me to updated catalog or anything.

I don't really want a separate app, I would prefer to just install an update to the version 5 app that I have and keep everything the same. I'm not sure why that doesn't happen.

Thanks

Dave

Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 10.39.39.png

• 4. Re: Lightroom 6 upgrade - folder help!
                99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Each version of LR is a separate application. It is not a problem, you can simply get your previous catalog which is normally stored by default in the Pictures folder. Use the top menu:

File >> Open Catalog

Then navigate to and choose the .lrcat file for your LR5 catalog.

See this link:

Lightroom catalog FAQ

Once you have LR6 working correctly you can send LR5 to the trash.

• 5. Re: Lightroom 6 upgrade - folder help!
                  davevaller Level 1

Thanks 99jon  That's really helpful to know. I've gone ahead and done that now (It probably did happen during the install and I didn't pay attention)

The folders did all come back with the just year again, but I just realised there was a little drop down next to the plus arrow where I could select 'Path from Volume' which must have been what Just Shoot Me was referring to. In the end it was that simple setting which is what i needed. Version 6 view option defaults must be slightly different from v5.

Thanks both very much for you help. Problem solved!

Cheers

Dave

Screen Shot 2015-05-15 at 11.08.53.png

• 6. Re: Lightroom 6 upgrade - folder help!
                    Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

Yeah I'm using Windows and you are on a Mac. Slightly different options in that drop down menu.