2 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2015 12:57 AM by koenraad.bats@ds-n.com

Find/Change by List script in character style subfolders, InDesign CC

koenraad.bats@ds-n.com Level 1

I'm trying to replace a text from one Character Style into another Character Style (both in subfolders), using the Find/ChangebyList script in InDesign CC (9.3), but I can't make it work.

After reading related discussions and after many trial+errors, I ended up with this :

grep{findWhat:"(MRP-Rs.\\s*\\d+\\-)"}{appliedCharacterStyle:app.activeDocument.characterStyleGroups.item("Niet aankomen").characterStyles.item("IndiaDetails")}{changeTo:"$1"}{appliedCharacterStyle:app.activeDocument.characterStyleGroups.item("Extra").characterStyl es.item("MRP")}{includeLockedStoriesForFind:false, includeLockedLayersForFind:false, includeHiddenLayers:false, includeMasterPages:false, includeFootnotes:true, kanaSensitive:true, widthSensitive:true}//MRP bold 16pt

But still, nothing happens. So now I got stuck.

My GREP statement looks ok but I can't get the JavaScript to find Character Style "IndiaDetails" and replace it by "MRP".

I'm new to JavaScript, can anyone help me with this?

• 1. Re: Find/Change by List script in character style subfolders, InDesign CC
          S Hopkins Adobe Community Professional

I can see that you are having difficulty. Let me steer you away from using the Find/Change by List script. This script is intended for instances where you have a number of find/changes to perform. Find/Change by List just makes the process more confusing if you only need a simple find/change. For your purpose you only need one find/change. So to simplify the process, script the find/change directly as shown below. Notice in the sample code following how the character styles are referenced as parts of the character style group. (If not part of a character style group, just remove the style group "dot" portion of the reference.) Notice that I named my styles a little different than yours simply because I never use spaces--it's just a personal preference. Hope this helps.

//Find/Change Character Styles

main();

function main(){

var myDocument = app.activeDocument;

//Define the character styles

var findCharacterStyle = myDocument.characterStyleGroups.item("Niet").characterStyles.item("IndiaDetails");

var changeCharacterStyle = myDocument.characterStyleGroups.item("Niet").characterStyles.item("MRPBold_16pt");

/*define text object that will be target of find/change; expects text selection*/

var textRef = app.selection[0].texts.item(0);

//define find change options

var findChangeOptProps = {caseSensitive:false, wholeWord:false, includeFootnotes:true, includeHiddenLayers:false,

includeLockedLayersForFind:false,includeLockedStoriesForFind:false, includeMasterPages:false};

//define the attribute(s) that need to be found/changed

var findAttrib = {appliedCharacterStyle:findCharacterStyle};

var changeAttrib = {appliedCharacterStyle:changeCharacterStyle};

//call the findChange_Attribute function

var foundSet = findChange_Attribute (textRef,  findAttrib, changeAttrib, findChangeOptProps);

alert ("" + foundSet.length  + " instances changed");

}

function findChange_Attribute (textRef,  findAttrib, changeAttrib, findChangeOptProps){

//initialize text preferences to nothing

initPrefs();

//set properties for find text preference

app.findTextPreferences.properties = findAttrib;

//set properties for change text preference

app.changeTextPreferences.properties = changeAttrib;

//set properties for find/change text options

app.findChangeTextOptions.properties = findChangeOptProps;

//perform the change

var foundSet = textRef.changeText();

initPrefs();

return foundSet;

//initialize text preferences

function initPrefs () {

app.findTextPreferences = NothingEnum.NOTHING;

app.changeTextPreferences = NothingEnum.NOTHING;

}

}

• 2. Re: Find/Change by List script in character style subfolders, InDesign CC
            koenraad.bats@ds-n.com Level 1

Hi S Hopkins, many thanks for the effort!

But I can't make it work :-(

InDesign gives me following error :

Screen Shot 2015-05-18 at 09.44.41.png

Off course, I changed the names of the desired Character Styles en Style groups on line 11 and 13.

What did I do wrong?

Actually, I do have a number of find/change instances; I just didn't add them because I expected to be able to fix them as well when this problem would be solved.

Also, implementing all these instances in a JS would be great. But, as you might have noticed, my knowledge of JS is poor.

About the use of spaces in styles : I'll change that, I think you're right about it.

Further on, I am wondering if this JS will change only the desired part of the text (MRP-Rs.\s*\d+\-)?