8 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2015 1:32 PM by Steve Grisetti

Is there a frame blend mode when exporting video?

CarlCrumley

I bought a Panasonic FZ1000 camera that records 4K video and has a "4K Photo" option which records the video at a high shutter speed so still images taken from the video don't show any blur. The stills that I get seem very good, however the downside is the video that's output isn't nice, smooth 1/50 or 1/60 shutter speed video I'm used to. I read somewhere to output the video at 24 FPS and use the "frame blend mode" to smooth the video, but I can't find an option for frame blending. Does it exist in Premier Elements 13 or only in Premier?

• 1. Re: Is there a frame blend mode when exporting video?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you're asking if Premiere Elements can take in 50p or 60p video and output it as 24p video, yes it can.

Which video format are you trying to output and what do you plan to do with it? That will determine which format and bit rate setting you use.

• 2. Re: Is there a frame blend mode when exporting video?
            CarlCrumley Level 1

Thanks for the response, Steve. I'm planning to use the video for general viewing on my computer and to upload to YouTube. My concern is the video isn't smooth in appearance since the camera uses a 1/2000 shutter speed in the 4K Photo mode so that stills I extract from the video are sharp. While that's my main use of the camera (taking stills from video) I'd like to also have watchable video from the camera, and I've heard that the "frame blending" option in the output is helpful in making the video smoother. I'm trying to find if I can do that in Premiere Elements 13 or if that's a Premiere Pro feature only.

• 3. Re: Is there a frame blend mode when exporting video?

I'm not clear, Carl. Your 1/2000 second shutter speed is for your still photos. It's not the frame rate for your videos. Your video is more likely being shot at 50p or 60p (50 or 60 frames per second). And Premiere Elements can certainly work with 4K XAVC video at 50p or 60p.

So are you talking about using photos or video in your movies?

Premiere Elements will automatically blend your frames, if necessary, to go from an input frame speed to a different output frame speed.

Your photos, however, will be down-resolutioned also -- and photos used in a video can never look as "sharp" as, say, a 4k photo. Even if you do output 4k video from Premiere Elements, the compression used to create that video will reduce some of the sharpness.

That said, you can output very high quality video for YouTube using Publish & Share/Computer/XAVC using the MP4-H264 3840x2160 23.76p preset. The MP4 the program creates is not going to look quite as clean and clear as your original videos -- particularly once YouTube re-encodes it to its playback quality -- but it still should look excellent!

• 4. Re: Is there a frame blend mode when exporting video?
                CarlCrumley Level 1

Steve, the Panasonic FZ1000 can record 4K video at normal shutter speeds like 1/50 or 1/60, but when in the special 4K Photo mode I manually set the shutter speed to 1/2000 to ensure motion-free still images. The still images extracted from the video are the equivalent of an 8 megapixel still camera shooting in burst mode at 30 frames per second. The extracted still images are 3504x2336 pixels. The resulting video however, while usable, is staccato in nature and I'm trying to figure how to smooth the video to make it more pleasing to watch.

• 5. Re: Is there a frame blend mode when exporting video?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

CarlCrumley

I have not found an export Frame Blending option in Premiere Elements. There is one in Premiere Pro but even there its indication for use appears to be the want to achieve video smoothness when video input frame rate is different than video output frame rate. From the description of Premiere Pro export Frame Blend Mode

Using the Export Settings dialog > Exporting Frames, Clips, and Sequences in Adobe Premiere Pro CS5

I am not seeing how that is applicable to your Timeline still setup even if it were an option in Premiere Elements.

If I am understanding your project description, you are dealing with high resolution stills and the transitioning between them is not smooth. Assuming that you are not having a computer resource issue, what are you using for video transitions in this project? And, have you applied video transitions between the stills and edited the transitions with regard to duration, alignment?

Out of curiosity, have you ever used successfully Premiere Pro with its export Frame Blending option for the project that you are trying to do in Premiere Elements?

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Is there a frame blend mode when exporting video?
                    CarlCrumley Level 1

ATR, thank you for your reply. This isn't a still image timeline but rather video that was captured at a high shutter speed. I think you've answered my question since you say the frame blend mode feature that's available in Premiere Pro isn't available in Premiere Elements. Thanks for your help.

Carl

• 7. Re: Is there a frame blend mode when exporting video?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Carl

Thanks for the reply and pointing to the video rather than still nature of your Timeline.

I have been working with Premiere Elements versions for over 10 years and have not seen an export Flame Blend option for user selection in any of the versions including the current one 13/13.1. I am not affiliated with Adobe in any way and have no insider information on its products. All that being said....

Back in post 3, it is written

Premiere Elements will automatically blend your frames, if necessary, to go from an input frame speed to a different output frame speed.

That sure sounds like the definition of the export frame blend mode as can be user selected in Premiere Pro. Perhaps insider information is behind that? I do not have any evidence to support this Premiere Elements 13/13.1 automatic export frame blend that is being referred to for export. The frequency of the Adobe presence in this forum is not defined. But, it would be interesting if PRE_help would insert a comment on this in your thread.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: Is there a frame blend mode when exporting video?

I see that ATR has once again stepped into the conversation. It's up to you if you choose to proceed with his line of questioning or mine.

Meantime, I was going to speculate that the 4K video is too challenging for your system. It is, after all, a pretty massive amount of video data! Though if you post it to YouTube, it should play just fine after Youtube encodes it for online playback.