7 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2015 2:23 PM by A.T. Romano

New Computer: Uninstall/Reinstall?

Leslie Denise

I had been using Elements 12 on a 2010 MacBook Pro, and recently migrated that computer's content to a newer 2012 iMac. But Elements will not launch on that newer computer. Do I need to uninstall from the old computer and do a complete reinstall on the new one?

• 1. Re: New Computer: Uninstall/Reinstall?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Leslie Denise

What program are you using Photoshop Elements 12 Mac or Premiere Elements 12 Mac? If you have Photoshop Elements, you have posted in the wrong forum. Somehow your thread got posted in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum.

Adobe allows for the purchased activated serial number to be installed on no more than 2 of your computers. If you try to install that serial number on a 3rd computer, you will be forced to deactivate Premiere Elements 12 on one of the two computer where Premiere Elements 12 is already installed.

Otherwise you do not have to do anything with Premiere Elements 12 on the old computer.

Are you getting any error message associated with the program's failure to launch?

Latest version of QuickTime installed on the new computer? Running the program as administrator? Problem exists with and without antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

Please review, consider, and supply more details. Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: New Computer: Uninstall/Reinstall?
            Leslie Denise Level 1

Thanks so much for your reply, ATR. It is indeed Premiere Elements 12 that I am talking about here. And it won't launch on my newer target computer, nothing happens at all.

Part of my dilemma is that my new iMac does not have a CD/DVD drive, so I can't reload the software from the original disks. I'm wondering if there is some way I can download it from the Adobe website. I have all my original disks and purchase documentation.

When I try to open the application I get the following message, 'The alias “Adobe Premiere Elements 12.app” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found.' I've tried both Deleting and Fixing the Alias, and neither work. I have my Firewall turned off.

And I now have QuickTime 7 installed.

Thanks again for your time and help!

Leslie

• 3. Re: New Computer: Uninstall/Reinstall?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Leslie Denise

Thanks for the follow up with the important additional information.

At the onset, assure that the problems exist with and without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled. Depending on that result...

I think that the best course of action would be

uninstall using whatever the usual Mac computer way is

do a free ccleaner run through

CCleaner for Mac OS X

reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled

If you have the purchased serial number, several places to download Premiere Elements 12 Mac installation files

(a) See link in the Adobe document

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/other-downloads.html

(b) Use the following web site...but be sure to follow carefully the web site's "Note: Very Important Instructions"...what you do is download the free tryout of Premiere Elements 12 Mac and insert your purchased serial number into them during installation

Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 Direct Download Links, Premiere too | ProDesignTools

Some find this the better route. The better route is what works for you.

Just a reminder...latest version of QuickTime needs to installed on your computer and you must be running the programs as administrator (even if you are the only one who uses the computer).

We will be watching for your progress.

ATR

• 4. Re: New Computer: Uninstall/Reinstall?
                Leslie Denise Level 1

ATR,

Your instructions worked beautifully! Just finished the process, and my software is now resident on my new iMac, and is operational. Thank you!

One problem, however. The projects I had previously created don't load. The captions come through, but none of the actual camera footage comes through. I just get a red screen saying the Media is Offline.

Is this a permissions problem of transferring from one computer to another?

Thanks again,

Leslie

• 5. Re: New Computer: Uninstall/Reinstall?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Leslie Denise

Great news. Great job.

Did you bring along project file and its media to the new computer?

When you import source media into a project, all you get in the project are copies of the originals which are stored on the hard drive. But the project needs to trace back to the originals stored on the hard drive. If you move, delete, or rename files and folders that went into the project after the project's save close, you are going to get Media Offline messages.

These should be "Where is the file_____?" messages. Each message names a specifically named file that it is looking for? To do the file reconnect, you point each message to the save location where you know the named file is. That is for each message. If you get lucky, one message might trigger the reconnect for more than one missing file?

In your case, you are going to have to know where the missing media are, and, for each "Where is the file _____?" message, point the message to that specifically named file.

How many of these previously created projects do you have? If you still can, you might want to save each of the projects under Project Archiver/Copy Project, transfer the resulting Copied Folder to a USB Flash Drive, and then use that USB Flash Drive to transfer the Copied Folder to the new computer. In the new computer, open the Copied Folder, right click the project file, and select Open with Adobe Premiere Elements 12. The Copied Folder contains copies of the source media and copy of the project file. In this feature, the project file travels with the needed baggage of its source media to which it can refer to.

Archiving projects

I am strictly an Elements Windows user who tries to find common ground between Premiere Elements Mac and Windows. Please let us know if the above works for you.

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: New Computer: Uninstall/Reinstall?
                    Leslie Denise Level 1

Thanks for this good explanation, ATR, which I had never understood before.

I deleted the raw material video clips as soon as the movies were completed in order to conserve disk space, which was running low. This may be my problem.

Fortunately, I have the completed movies on DVD, so I can always load them back onto my computer should I want to engage in further editing.

I will remember your explanation as I engage in further video work.

Thanks again, ATR.

Leslie

• 7. Re: New Computer: Uninstall/Reinstall?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Leslie

Thanks for the follow ups.

Sounds like you have all under control. Great job.

Just let me know when and if you need assistance with your Premiere Elements workflows.

Best wishes

ATR