4 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2015 7:54 AM by rob day

indesign captions: can you show placed .pdf dimensions in inches?

Kirsten Hopperstad

I have 200+ .pdf's to place into InDesign using the handy, dandy ImageCatalog.jsx, then will generate captions.

But I get <No data from link> when I choose "Dimensions" in Caption Setup. I know it will show pixels dimensions for .jpgs, etc., but what about .indd or .pdf dimensions?

Or does that metadata even exist for InDesign's caption generator to reference?

• 1. Re: indesign captions: can you show placed .pdf dimensions in inches?
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Neither PDFs nor INDDs have a fixed value for resolution in a file as there are several values possible.

PDF is a container format which contains pixels, vectors and text. The size of PDFs is not measured in pixels as it would be with image files, it is measured in length measures like mm, cm, inch, etc. If you scale a placed PDF to 100% you get the same size as the original file.

• 2. Re: indesign captions: can you show placed .pdf dimensions in inches?
            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I think Dimensions refers to the pixel dimensions that's located in the Meta Data, captions only pulls in info from the Meta Data.

You'd have to open view the files in Bridge or other program to see what dimensions are displayed there and I don't think there is an option to choose inches rather than pixels.

However, there is this script which might help... https://www.rorohiko.com/wordpress/otherproducts/sizelabels/

• 3. Re: indesign captions: can you show placed .pdf dimensions in inches?
              Kirsten Hopperstad Level 1

Thanks guys, and that little script is cool.

But I'm looking for InDesign captions to show me the page dimensions of the original placed .indd or pdf, like 8.5x11" or 24x32".

I'm thinking the meta data is just not accessible to the InDesign caption setup?

• 4. Re: indesign captions: can you show placed .pdf dimensions in inches?
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't think there's a way via default metadata to get page dimensions. You could manually add them to the description field of the PDF or ID file's info and caption from the description.

The script Eugene linked to gets the page item's dimensions, but a similar script could calculate the actual output dimensions of a placed file for the label text. I can't do it in JS, but this is an Applescript (OSX only) that copies the dimensions of the selected image, PDF, or ID file to the clipboard.

The actual width would be width/(horizontal scale/100).

---------------------------------------------------------

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2014"

tell active document      

set clist to {imported page, PDF, image, EPS}

try

if class of selection is in clist then

set hs to absolute horizontal scale of selection

set vs to absolute horizontal scale of selection

set {a, b, c, d} to geometric bounds of selection

set w to d - b

set h to c - a

set ow to w / (hs / 100)

set oh to h / (vs / 100)

set labl to ow & "x " & oh as string

set the clipboard to labl

--delete this line to skip the dialog

display dialog "Actual Dimensions:" & return & labl

else

display dialog "Please Select an Image"

end if

on error

display dialog "Please Select an Image"

end try

end tell

end tell