2 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2015 11:17 PM by Eugene Tyson

end notes from Word to Indesign CS5

agora1234

I would like to know why when I import a document done in Word, containing different endnote numbers for each  "section break" (i.e. section 1 - endnotes 1, 2, 3; section 2 - endnotes 1,2,3), Indesign combines them and runs them consecutively through out the document... in this example they would show as 1,2,3,4,5,6... it would not be a big deal if I only had six, but the book I am working on, has 332 end notes, in about 50 chapters. Does any one know how to avoid this trouble and having to change it manually, one by one? Thanks for you help.

p.s.

The only solution I have found is to separate the sections by saving them as individual word documents, and then importing each individually.

• 1. Re: end notes from Word to Indesign CS5
          Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

I would strictly avoid to import section breaks into InDesign, as section breaks (from Word) are not an InDesign concept.

InDesign knows about break options and different stories and documents.

Before importing a DOC or DOCX I remove consequently all section breaks and manual page breaks, as these are often causing problems.

InDesign knows also sections, but there is no direct or indirect relation to Word sections.

It is not a bad idea from you to separate documents in several files, I would do the same.

• 2. Re: end notes from Word to Indesign CS5
            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

InDesign has no limited support for End Notes.

Can you clarify on your workflow and how you're importing?

Would it be possible to split your book into different files rather than different sections?

You could then use the Book feature in InDesign to compile the sections.