8 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2015 10:29 AM by Jao vdL

How do I lock (point x,y) view of RGB data WHILE moving sliders.

Berend0000

Hi, is there a way to Lock/view the RGB data "under the histogram" of an exact spot "x,y point" in my photo WHILE adjusting the sliders. As soon as I move to my sliders, the data RGB of that spot disappear and I need to move the cursor to the point again to view the new RGB Data.

I need to fix view the RGB data of a x,y spot while adjusting the sliders. Hope it make sense.

Thank you.

O, I use Lightroom 4

• 1. Re: How do I lock (point x,y) view of RGB data WHILE moving sliders.
          Berend0000 Level 1

I do not know how to ask the question in the search to get to the answer I want?

• 2. Re: How do I lock (point x,y) view of RGB data WHILE moving sliders.
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Berend0000 wrote:

I need to fix view the RGB data of a x,y spot while adjusting the sliders. Hope it make sense.

It might help if you told us exactly what you are trying to adjust and why one x.y pixel value. The White Balance dropper is useful for measuring small areas and it has a Scale adjustment to set the sample area size. If that doesn't work try the Crop tool, which can be sized and positioned to a specific area, make your adjustments, and then Reset the Crop.

• 3. Re: How do I lock (point x,y) view of RGB data WHILE moving sliders.
              Berend0000 Level 1

Thank you for the response. I want to create an easy (no cost) way to solve a problem that all our photographers struggle with. Color balance calibration. (I have a gray card and not satisfied)

PLAN

1 Create an image in Photoshop with “True” Red Green and Blue values.
              2 Load image on iPhone
              3 Take photo of scene with iPhone image in it.
              4 I lightroom Fix dropper on the x,y point of e.g. red and adjust sliders till RGB values = Red
              5 The same with other colors. (G & B)

This is why I need to look at the locked xy point while using sliders.

I know it will not be perfect because of the screen brightness and reflections, but I think it will at least give me a better color balance from RAW to final. I spend way to much time in post editing.

If Lightroom cannot do it then I suggest it. I am dreaming of an image that I can download to my phone from adobe site that will be able to calibrate in lightroom (without these expensive color cards that not all of us can afford.)

• 4. Re: How do I lock (point x,y) view of RGB data WHILE moving sliders.

Your procedure as outlined allows "color correcting" image files in LR so that the pictures look correct on the iPhone and ONLY on the iPhone. Even for that purpose it probably won't work very well for numerous reasons as you've mentioned.

If you are interested in "color calibrating" your iPhone's camera (or any other camera) I can highly recommend the ColorChecker Passport.

http://www.amazon.com/X-Rite-MSCCPP-ColorChecker-Passport/dp/B002NU5UW8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8 &qid=1431784762&sr=8-1&keywords=colorchecker+passport

Berend0000 wrote:

Thank you for the response. I want to create an easy (no cost) way to solve a problem that all our photographers struggle with. Color balance calibration. (I have a gray card and not satisfied)

What issues are you having and manufacturer's model gray card are you using? The White Balance Eyedropper works very well with larger sampling areas that Adobe has implemented based on my Feature Request here:

Lightroom: Add options for larger sample sizes for White Balance Eyedropper Tool

• 5. Re: How do I lock (point x,y) view of RGB data WHILE moving sliders.
                  Berend0000 Level 1

Thank you for the response.

Please note: I do not want to calibrate my iphone's camera.

My iphone must only act as n self maid "SpyderCheckr Colour Reference Card" by placing it in the photo like you would be doing with a SpyderCheckr card.

Then calibrate Red Green & blue (presented by the iphone inside the images) in lightroom afterwards.

My Gray card is limited in function and when shooting a room (I do tourism photography e.g. hotel rooms) with sun, energy savers bulbs, different lights, LEDs, certain glares, reflective surfises, plus, plus ... I struggle much to log to get the colors to where they must be even with my gray card.

I use a 7D Mark II with my wide angle shooting interior mostly.

• 6. Re: How do I lock (point x,y) view of RGB data WHILE moving sliders.

Berend0000 wrote:

My Gray card is limited in function and when shooting a room (I do tourism photography e.g. hotel rooms) with sun, energy savers bulbs, different lights, LEDs, certain glares, reflective surfises, plus, plus ... I struggle much to log to get the colors to where they must be even with my gray card.

I use a 7D Mark II with my wide angle shooting interior mostly.

OK, I now understand the issue. You are shooting with "mixed" color temperature lighting. If some areas are lit by daylight and others by artificial lighting then LR's WB sliders and other Global controls can only correct one area.

I suggest that you shoot raw CR2 file format with the 7D MKII and use the Adobe Standard profile inside LR. Using flash-fill bounced off the ceiling and/or a wall would help a lot. If you can't do that then you will need to use LR's Local control Temp and Tint sliders with the Adjustment Brush, Radial Filter, or Graduated Filter to paint correction in areas that have different lighting. Set the Basic panel WB sliders for correct white balance in the largest area of the image. Then use the Adjustment Brush for the other areas to "paint" in the Temp, Tint, Exposure, Highlights, and Shadows to correct the light level.

It's not as hard as it sounds, but does take some time. That's why I mentioned using some flash-fill, which will even out the color temperature and overall lighting. Google real estate photography.....here are a few:

Too Dark Interiors: Solutions for Real Estate Photographers

5 Tips For Better Real Estate Photography — We Are SO Photo

Strobist: One-Light Real Estate Photography

• 7. Re: How do I lock (point x,y) view of RGB data WHILE moving sliders.
                      Berend0000 Level 1

I thank you for your professional assistance to my problem.

In wisdom instead of helping me with my solution you guided me to the right solution. I can humbly say that I knew and practice about 80% of what was said in your linked topics. It is however the 20% that will really help me to up my work and for this I am REALLY thankful.

I hope someone pays you for your help.

Thank you.

• 8. Re: How do I lock (point x,y) view of RGB data WHILE moving sliders.
                        Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My iphone must only act as n self maid "SpyderCheckr Colour Reference Card" by placing it in the photo like you would be doing with a SpyderCheckr card.

Then calibrate Red Green & blue (presented by the iphone inside the images) in lightroom afterwards.

Note that this will absolutely not work for what you want to do as the iPhone has its own light source and you'll simply be color correcting for the iPhone's backlight source, not for the room lighting. A color reference card only works correctly with reflected light for this purpose. There is no shortcut for using an actual color checker unfortunately. That said, most of the time trshaner's procedure should work just fine and you shouldn't need much more than a grey card in the largest area of the picture and definately controlling the light yourself with strategically placed and gelled flash is a really good idea but takes some extra work.