8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2015 9:03 AM by David A Green

MP4 Codec

fraserian

Good day, I'm battling to import an MP4 clip into Premiere Elements 10.

It says "this type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed". 

I've searched forums and the "community" and people with similar problems did not get an answer or any solution. 

I've tried installing different codecs without success. 

Can someone please help me with this. 

Thanks...

• 1. Re: MP4 Codec
          A.T. Romano Level 7

fraserian

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 10. And, what video card/graphics card does that computer use?

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer and are you running the programs as administrator?

1. What are the properties of this .mp4 file. If you do not know, then brand/model/settings of camera that recorded the video would give us important information in order to proceed.

2. How are you importing this .mp4 into Premiere Elements 10 Timeline workspace...Get Media from where/and then what?

Please download and install the free codec utility named GSpot and let us know the readings for Video Name, Codec, Status as well as Audio Name and Status.

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

Let us start here and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On....In my reply, I have assumed that your file has a .mp4 file extension (you did not mention the video compression). But, on reflection, I would ask....when you refer to MP4 clip, are you referring to a MP4 video compression or MP4 file extension. Two different things.

• 2. Re: MP4 Codec
            fraserian Level 1

Hi ATR,

I run Windows 8 64 Bit.  I have a GeForce GTX 880M graphics card.

I do have the latest version of Quicktime installed, but the MP4 file also plays in Windows Media Player without any issues.

I am importing it into Premiere Elements by:

- Clicking Get Media

- Select Files and Folders

- Select the file and click open

- Then I get the message "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed".

Right clicking on the file and selecting properties only says that it's an "MP4 Video (.mp4)".

I downloaded GSpot and opened the file but I don't know what to look for, how it works, or what to run.

Ian

• 3. Re: MP4 Codec
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Ian

Knowing the properties of that source file is going to be important to determining the cause of the issue.

For your problem file, let us try to get the video name, codec, and status information as well as the audio name and status information from the GSpot readout.

When you open GSpot are you seeing (the red check marks were put there by me for demonstration purposes).

GSpotDialog.JPG

You want to go to the GSpot File Menu/Open/ in order to open to the "Select file(s) to be checked" dialog. Find your problem file and select it.

When it opens in the GSpot dialog whose screenshot you see above, what is listed in the fields that contain my red check mark. There are times when a video will not give us any information in those fields, but most of the time it does.

Also of great help, knowing the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded this file with the .mp4 file extension.

Please review the above and let us know if it works for you. If problems, please let me know, and I will go over the areas that you need more clarification on.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: MP4 Codec
                fraserian Level 1

Codec: H264

Name: H.264/AVC

Audio: Blanc

The MP4 file is the format in which the video clip is exported from my CCTV DVR (HikVision).

Ian

• 5. Re: MP4 Codec
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

fraserian

Thanks for the information.

But, I need to back up on the details.You say that you have Premiere Elements 10 on a computer that uses a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card. Is your Premiere Elements 10 having problems with other than this video audio file from the CCTV DVD (HikVision)? There is a serious known issue with Premiere Elements 10 on a computer that uses a NVIDIA GeForce video card/graphics card. The problem involves display issues and other unexplained project issues. The fix is to roll back the driver version to May 2013. In the case of the Windows 8 or 8.1 64 bit users, this is a no win situation, since the older NVIDIA GeForce driver versions do not go back far enough. This may be the stopping element in the troubleshooting.

If we take that out of the troubleshooting equation (although I do not know if we can).....

I was hoping that we would get the audio information from GSpot. Curiously the GSpot readout for the audio properties are not displaying if you have Audio field blank. Do you have any idea what audio format that the CCTV DVR (HikVision) is using. I have looked through its user manual and have not found mention of audio format. The manual does give H.264 as the video compression. Can I assume that  your video is the 1920 x 1080p30?

Let us try converting the file to H.264.mp4 in HandBrake to see if what goes in will come out in a form that will import into your Premiere Elements 10.

https://handbrake.fr/

If you need any help with HandBrake, please let me know.

Please review and consider the above and then we can decide the possible what nexts.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: MP4 Codec
                    fraserian Level 1

I have no problem with any video files except for all MP4 files exported by the CCTV DVR.

The CCTV cameras don't have a microphone, hence no audio.

If I convert the MP4 to any other file type, then I can import it into Premiere Elements.

The problem is that this takes time and is unnecessary if it's possible to import it directly to Premiere Elements without converting it.

• 7. Re: MP4 Codec
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

fraserian

Thanks for the reply.

Please return to the GSpot readout, and let us know what is in the Frames field....we know that your video compression is AVCHD and AVCHD.mp4 should be compatible with Premiere Elements. But, I am wondering about the frame rate - variable or constant. From GSpot, the readout will just give us a number which may or may not help. We would have to go to MediaInfo to determine the variable or constant. Variable frame is a problem for Premiere Elements...symptoms can range from audio out of sync to not being able to import the video at all. We do not have to worry about the audio part in your case.

Without committing completely to the idea of converting your .mp4 from CCTV DVR to another form, let us consider and try putting one of the problem files through the HandBrake program to obtain a H.264.mp4 file with a constant frame rate. You should be able to import that H.264.mp4 file with a constant frame rate into Premiere Elements with Premiere Elements Add Media/Files and Folders. If conversion is required, HandBrake is quick and does offer batch conversion.

If the conversion does not help matters, then we need to consider what next.

Are you OK with setting up HandBrake for this task? If not, please let me know, and I will offer some how to information.

Thank you.

ATR

• 8. Re: MP4 Codec
                        David A Green

Hi ATR,

I have a similar problem importing Hikvision video into Premiere Pro but I guess it is similarly related.

Hikvision mp4s cannot be directly imported into APP but Hikvision do have a converter on their web site and also filters for Media Player.

I've installed these and they will now play on Media player ok.

I would still like to import them directly into APP rather then having to convert them - but it does work.

I have no idea how to use Handbreak but have it installed, so any help to get to the bottom of this would be much appreciated.

In googling I have come up with some sites that suggest it has to do with variable frame rates and the DVR that is recording the videos has some settings which I have tried but have not come up with anything useful. Although I thing it is more likely to be a problem with the bitrate than the frame rate which is set to 25.

Any ideas as to what I could try to set the bitrate to?

Interestingly some of the videos streams that have been recorded with sound upload to youtube without a problem but some that do not have sound, because it is only a camera throw an error uploading and stop. If that helps point to the problems.

I would love to be able to import directly to APP so any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Dave