6 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2015 5:57 AM by RjL190365

Intel i3 4030u vs Intel Pentium N3530 for Video Editing

skygalaxy

Hi, I am looking to buy a new laptop. There are two laptop that I am interested in. They have Intel i3 4030u processor and Intel Pentium N3530. Now according to Passmark cpu benchmark i3 4030u ranks higher than N3530 but it has two cores while N3530 has 4 cores so my question is which is faster processor for video editing and rendering considering both laptop have same amount of RAM?

I have read that more cores are better for video editing but looking at Passmark benchmarking N3530 ranks lower.

N3530 has higher clock speed and cheaper as well.

Thanks

Passmark benchmarking:

CPU                               Passmark Cpu Mark          Rank

Intel Core i3-4030u @ 1.90GHz                  2700                           732

Intel Pentium N3530 @ 2.16Ghz                1929                           951

• 1. Re: Intel i3 4030u vs Intel Pentium N3530 for Video Editing
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Video editing is very demanding.  I would not recommend either of those two weaklings for Adobe Premiere Pro, if you do not mind using something like Premiere Elements they might work.  It really depends a lot on your media..   I use a quad core i7 that is delightful for editing of AVCHD 1080 with typically three cameras.

Here is a minimum configuration for Premiere Pro, it is a refurbished Asus Gaming laptop.  Also Laptops really only work for video editing if they are AC powered because on battery operation they slow down immensely.  Look at our Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) web site 

• 2. Re: Intel i3 4030u vs Intel Pentium N3530 for Video Editing
            skygalaxy Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I know this is not within top range of the model. I have used Adobe Premiere Elements on my core 2 duo desktop pc with 4GB of RAM and it did the job fine. I have done two hours of full hd mts video and created blu-ray disc with it. Only thing it took around 12-14 hours for rendering. Those two mentioned processors should at least be better than my core 2 duo desktop pc. I don't do much video editing so time is not an important factor for me. Just need a mid or low range laptop for average use and occasional video editing maybe few times a year.

So which one is better processor of those two for Premiere Elements and probably Premiere Pro?

• 3. Re: Intel i3 4030u vs Intel Pentium N3530 for Video Editing
              cc_merchant Level 4

Your desktop is slow. The laptops you are looking at are much slower, because of the very low clock speed. If you want a machine, slower than molasses in winter, go ahead, but I advise against both.

A CPU passmark score of only 2700 is terribly slow and incomparable with a score of over 16000 for a decent 3 year old system, so you are warned...

• 4. Re: Intel i3 4030u vs Intel Pentium N3530 for Video Editing
                RjL190365 Level 4

I believe that Premiere Pro CC requires a CPU clock speed of 2.00 GHz or higher just to even install at all. But practically speaking, even the 2.16 GHz nominal clock speed rating of the Pentium N3530 is much too low to run Premiere Pro even satisfactorily, let alone smoothly. These pro-level programs really need a nominal CPU clock speed of 3.50 GHz or higher to run to most people's comfort level. Unfortunately, to conserve power laptop CPUs tend to run at far lower clock speeds - in fact, some are so low that Premiere installation will return an error message that your CPU does not meet minimum requirements to run Premiere Pro.

• 5. Re: Intel i3 4030u vs Intel Pentium N3530 for Video Editing
                  skygalaxy Level 1

My desktop pc has Intel Core2 Duo E7300 cpu with 4GB of ram. These two cpu's still ranks higher than my six years old desktop pc so I thought the performance would be better than my desktop pc. I have no problem working with Premiere Elements on my desktop except rendering takes really long time. Okay I guess its the clock speed that matters most even though those two cpu's rank higher than my old desktop pc cpu.

I may go ahead with Pentium N3530 laptop as I don't do much video editing.

Thanks.

-----------------------------------------

My desktop pc passmark benchmark:

CPU                               Passmark Cpu Mark          Rank

Intel Core2 Duo E7300 @ 2.66Ghz             1743                      1025

• 6. Re: Intel i3 4030u vs Intel Pentium N3530 for Video Editing
                    RjL190365 Level 4

It also depends in large part on the other components of a given system. If for example your old desktop has 8GB of RAM, a decently fast disk system and a decent discrete GPU but the new laptop that you're considering has only 4GB of RAM (and can't be expanded any further), a slow 5400 RPM disk and non-upgradable integrated graphics (in this case, Intel HD Graphics), the new laptop may very well be slower overall than your current desktop.

Remember, component balance is very important in an editing system! It's a shame that many systems (both desktop and laptop) come equipped with high-end CPUs but insufficient RAM, woefully inadequate graphics and an outdated disk system.