9 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2015 2:28 PM by john beardsworth

Photo Sharing Help - Moving from Aperture

brentm47422149

I am a long time Aperture user and considering the change to Lightroom 6 CC.  I'm currently using the trial an have successfully imported all my photos using the plug-in. 

One of the simple features of Aperture that I've enjoyed is the ability to publish using iCloud photo stream.  Very simple to move to a photo stream and incite others to view and download.  Is there anything comparable I can use with Lightroom CC?  I have tested the sync to the cloud and then sharing the link; but it doesn't seem that A recipient of the link can download the photos.  It is very frustrating to me that Apple has made the sharing feature so simple and easy; but has now replaced Aperture with something signifcantly lacking.  Conversely, I need to be sure that I can do what I need with Lightroom CC before I fork over the monthly fee.

As additional background, I am an amateur that greatly values the ability to get photos to friends and family to download for their enjoyment.  I very much like my editing/organizing experience thus far with Lightroom; but have to solve the sharing before I can make a move.

• 2. Re: Photo Sharing Help - Moving from Aperture
          brentm47422149 Level 1

Thank you for the links.  The "share files & folders" link took me to a page I have never seen before.  Although I have not yet tested, it appears that I would drag files and folder to this CC location.  Is there a way to share directly from Lightroom with this same functionality?  Maybe I'm thinking about this workflow incorrectly because I've been so wrapped up in Apple's world for the past 5 years (funny how you stop thinking).

Ultimately my typical "workflow" is:

1. Take photos of an event (typically kids sporting, family, etc)

2. Download and edit

3. Share edited photos with a group of friends and family so they can download the ones they want

4.  Remove photos "album" from stream (usually after 60 days)

5. Repeat

In Aperture this seemed seamless.  Does Lightroom with CC allow me to keep the workflow above?  Is it seamless?

Thanks in advance to the community.

• 3. Re: Photo Sharing Help - Moving from Aperture
            Atul_Saini Adobe Employee

Moving the discussion to Photoshop Lightroom so that the experts can share their views on this.

Atul_Saini

• 4. Re: Photo Sharing Help - Moving from Aperture
              Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In Aperture this seemed seamless.  Does Lightroom with CC allow me to keep the workflow above?  Is it seamless?

Yes you can do this but you have to use another service than iCloud. Apple hasn't opened its servers for anything but Apple applications and so you can't upload to iCloud from Lightroom. This is unfortunate indeed, but something only Apple can fix by documenting their service so others can link into it. There are many services built in to Lightroom such as Facebook, flickr, smugmug, behance, and many others and there are lots of plugins you can find online for others. Here is a tutorial on how to share to social media: Publish photos to social media | Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC tutorials

There are also many really good tutorials on sharing and publishing on Adobe's website here: Lightroom tutorials | Learn how to use Photoshop Lightroom

• 5. Re: Photo Sharing Help - Moving from Aperture
                brentm47422149 Level 1

Thank you.  Can I publish to Creative Cloud or Adobe website directly from Lightroom for others to view and download?  When I've tested this from Lightroom, it allowed viewing, but not download.

I don't necessarily have to use iCloud; but want a simple way to share seamlessly through Lightroom.

• 6. Re: Photo Sharing Help - Moving from Aperture
                  Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's not as simple as it is in an iCloud photo stream but you can do it. Strangely enough Lightroom doesn't publish directly to creative cloud but you can make it so a folder on your Mac syncs to it automatically from the creative cloud app. You set up a publish service in Lightroom that automatically exports to that same folder and then use that. At http://creative.adobe.com you can then turn that folder into a public folder and share the link with your friends and family. You can also publish directly to bechance, which is part of creative cloud and share those links.

An alternative is to use any of the social websites I mention such as flickr or Facebook. Lightroom directly publishes to those and friends and family can easily download from there. None of this is as trivially easy as Apple makes it in iCloud unfortunately. However, Apple's iCloud is a closed universe that you can only access using Apple apps.

• 7. Re: Photo Sharing Help - Moving from Aperture
                    john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

brentm47422149 wrote:

Thank you.  Can I publish to Creative Cloud or Adobe website directly from Lightroom for others to view and download?  When I've tested this from Lightroom, it allowed viewing, but not download.

Within Lightroom Web you can allow people to download individual images, though this is new (a week or two ago) and not obvious.

When you share a collection in LrWeb there is a download check box. This means that when someone goes into the Comments panel (via the Show Activity and Info button in the bottom right hand corner) there is a download  button on the Photo Info tab.

For sharing many images, I would follow Jao's method which uses the built-in Hard Drive publish service, though you can also use regular export and target a CC folder.

John

SNAG-0005.png

The download button is on the Photo Info tab:

SNAG-0006.png

• 8. Re: Photo Sharing Help - Moving from Aperture
                      brentm47422149 Level 1

Jao and John,

Thank you so much as I feel like I'm almost there (thankful for 30-day trial while I work through challenges).  I do have a couple of questions:

1.  For the LrWeb method, when I check the "allow download" box and share link, my recipients do not a way to download as you show above.  I've tested on iOS devices using Safari as well as Windows laptop using IE.  Is this functional and have you gotten it to work?  I honestly believe this would be my preferred (and simplest) method to share an image collection.

2.  I'm assuming LrWeb is a low res version of the original and CC would allow for full-size;please confirm?

3.  The CC method and publishing is intriguing to me as I could push out full-size files vs the LrWeb method.  I have to say though that it sounds REALLY complicated.  I can see how I could easily drag a folder to CC from my desktop; but is there a way to push edited images through a multi-step process with Lightroom?  If so, are there step by step instructions?

Thanks again.

• 9. Re: Photo Sharing Help - Moving from Aperture
                        john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

LrWeb works on a proper computer, not in iOS. You need to "share" the collection and enable that button, but it then works in a Mac or PC browser. You may need to test again.

It is low res - 2048 pixels. It has the sRGB profile, and your copyright metadata -but not other metadata, sadly.

The CC method isn't that complicated but involves you doing a bit more. First you need to find your CC folder on the computer - that's a link from the CC app. Then set up a Hard Drive publish service whose target destination is that folder. You then add collections to it, add to them the images you want to share, and hit Publish. If those images change, you have to republish them - instead of how LrMobile/LrWeb automatically republishes them.