4 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2015 9:20 AM by dj_paige

Edits have disappeared.

SarahMillanSmyth

All original captures were imported under the date of the shoot 2015-05-10 and I made some prelim edits in LR my office manager setup folders underneath the project and proceeded to move all of the photos under one Capture folder after my edits. Now their all gone any help?

• 1. Re: Edits have disappeared.
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You probably need to reconnect the location of the folders your images used to be in when you imported in Lightroom to their new location after your office manager moved them. This is done by control or right clicking on the folder in Lightroom's Library module and selecting "Find Missing Folder".

• 2. Re: Edits have disappeared.
            dj_paige Level 9

You would be wise from now on to manage your photos in Lightroom instead of in your operating system, or better yet just develop a workflow where you don't move photos around after they are imported into Lightroom

• 3. Re: Edits have disappeared.
              SarahMillanSmyth Level 1

Thanks gang, what he had done (from inside lightroom) was create 4 new folders one of which was "Capture", then "Show in Finder" and copied all of the images into the Capture folder. He went back into Lightroom Right Clicked again and chose "Synchronize Folder". The images moved with no edits........ Isn't it possible to move images within Lightroom without loosing everything? Surely it must but should he have saved metadata first or something?

• 4. Re: Edits have disappeared.
                dj_paige Level 9

As I stated, you can indeed manage your photos entirely within Lightroom. Just drag and drop them (entirely in Lightroom) to the desired new folder location in the Lightroom Folder Panel on the left. You will not lose your edits or metadata if you do it this way.

Please, do not synchronize your photos in this way — if you use synchronize incorrectly it will cause the images to have no edits, because Lightroom now thinks these are BRAND NEW PHOTOS that it has never seen before.

If you want to use Finder to move photos, then you must re-connect the photos in Lightroom (not re-import, and not synchronize) by following these instructions:

Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

But now I'm going to tell you the best way to handle this in the future. Develop a workflow that doesn't require you to move photos from folder to folder. Not only is this less work, it eliminates the possibility of human (and computer) error causing metadata or edits to be lost.