3 Replies Latest reply on May 16, 2015 4:44 PM by A.T. Romano

Any issues with using PE 13 music on YouTube (as video clip background)?

NaweG Level 1

Shot some footage using a Sony Action Cam, and originally used their free editor since it included some nice music that fit my longish clip. Imagine my surprise when I got a takedown notice from YouTube because Sony had only licensed the music for "personal use".

So, if I edited the clip with PE 13 and used one of the music files that come with it, should I expect a similar experience?

• 1. Re: Any issues with using PE 13 music on YouTube (as video clip background)?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

NaweG

You wrote

So, if I edited the clip with PE 13 and used one of the music files that come with it, should I expect a similar experience?

When you talk about "....used one of the music files that come with it,...." are you talking about

a. music files that come with Premiere Elements, that is, Music Score and Sound Effects

or

b. music files that came with the original but are being edited through Premiere Elements....

In the case of "b", I suspect YouTube will still pick up the music as being licensed. If "a" and read below.

According to what has been written here user to user, you should not run into YouTube source licensing issues if you upload to YouTube a Premiere Elements 13/13.1 project which includes the program's Music Score and Sound Effects. There is also some music that comes with Movie Menu themes. I do not see that applying to you and YouTube uploads. But, if you rip the music files from the Movie Menu themes Online Folder files for your use, that is another matter. But according to what has been written here, you should be able to use them also.

But, should and can are legal matters that are best passed by Adobe for the ultimate interpretation of what is included in the program and rights to use.

Premiere Elements does not work with licensed material and generates message to that effect during the course of the workflow as appropriate.

ATR

• 2. Re: Any issues with using PE 13 music on YouTube (as video clip background)?
            NaweG Level 1

Yes, I am talking about "A". I could, of course, just use one of the classical compositions that YouTube offers for free. However there are very few of them, and so they tend to pop up in a LOT of videos.

Would appreciate someone from Adobe weighing in on this, and ideally considering adding such clarifications to the documentation and/or FAQs in the future given the "encouragement" the program gives you to share your videos in the first place.

• 3. Re: Any issues with using PE 13 music on YouTube (as video clip background)?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

NaweG

This is not Adobe here. Rather user to user. We are visitors here like yourself. The frequency of the Adobe presence in this forum is not defined.

I could point you to threads here that say sure it is OK to use project assets for commercial purposes. Music Score and SmartSound are the same in concept (altering duration of music clip does not alter arrangement) but Music Score is not Smart Sound

Is the music in the music library of PE10 free to use, even as a company?

Copyright question

But in reflection here, my choice of the words commercial use perhaps should be replaced with copyright and non copyright material.

You could read through the Adobe Licensing Agreement for mention of this point. Since this is an important matter for you, I suspected you might want to go to the source Adobe to be sure what the latest Adobe interpretation is on the matter. You could try the following Adobe Chat link

Contact Customer Care

Premiere Elements

Adobe ID, Signing In

Adobe ID, Sign In, Account Help

Chat Panel

It is not ideal but it does have an active Chat Panel whose representative would be expected to answer your question or to refer you to an Adobe source that could answer your question about project assets for "personal" and "non personal" user use.

Have you tried to upload a Premiere Elements project with its Music Score and Sound Effects to YouTube and run into issues?

ATR