I can assist with the Flash Player installation issue. For Reader, please post to theAcrobat Reader forums, however, since both Flash Player and Reader use a similar Download Manager if the issue is related to the Download Manager the solution for one may resolve the other.
Do you have a proxy server, if so, what is the configuration?
How is your internet connection speed? The online installer (download manager) downloads and installs Flash Player (or Reader) silently in the background. If the network connection is too slow it may be timing out and not completing the download. There are numerous websites you can use to run a speed test (e.g. http://www.speedtest.net/, http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/)
To troubleshoot further, I'll need to get some log files for the Flash Player installation. Please do the following:
- Download the Flash Player online installer
- Launch Windows Explorer and navigate to the TEMP directory, usually located at \Users\YourUserID\AppData\Local\Temp
- Create an empty text file named ADM.trace
- please be sure the file doesn't have any other extension such as .txt, the file extension is .trace
- Run the online installer again
- When the connection error returns obtain the two log files saved at \Users\YourUserID\AppData\Local\Temp\Adobe_ADMLogs and upload them using the instructions The specified item was not found.
- Post the URL to the uploaded file location in your response.
I don't believe I have a proxy server, but I do admit that I'm not entirely sure what that is.
My internet speed can vary, but when I tried installing it the last three or four times it was working at normal speed. I would open the installer, click allow, and then it would immediately show me the connection failed window without any sort of loading screen. This is the result of one of the speed tests, if that helps at all. Sometimes the internet here (I'm at college) is finicky and wavers between limited and nonexistent, but again, it is usually dependable and functioning at normal speed.
I followed the steps, but I do not see the Adobe_ADMLogs folder in the Temp directory. I have two, one at C:\Temp and one at C:\Windows\Temp. I tried the steps using both, but I still cannot locate the logs. There is an AdobeARM.log file in the second Temp location, but it was last edited on 5/14, so I don't believe it came from my troubleshooting attempts today.
The AdobeARM.log file is for other Adobe products.
Can you please post a screenshot (see The specified item was not found.) of the installer dialog window with the 'connection failed' error?