9 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2015 6:38 AM by robwood2

which one of my photos is the master

robwood2 Level 1

Hi

I have the lightroom cc but i have one photo many times , how do i find out which one is the master which i imported from my sd card from my camera ?

If i have deleted the master by mistake but still have a NEF does this NEF hold the same amount of information and quality as the master ?

Many thanks

Robert

• 1. Re: which one of my photos is the master
          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Master file is the original file you imported, which would be a NEF file if shooting raw format.  If a Master file is deleted (i.e. NEF file) all of its Virtual Copies will be removed as well. LR only creates new image files when using the Export module, 'Edit in Photoshop, etc.

Open the Filter Bar in the Library module using the \ key and select Kind> Master Photos or Virtual Copies as shown in the Red circle below.

You can also select all the image files in question, right-click on one, and select Stacking> Unstack or CTRL + SHIFT + G keys. Virtual copies have a curled lower-left edge, which will show in the filmstrip and grid view.

• 2. Re: which one of my photos is the master
            robwood2 Level 1

Hi

Thank you very much for that.

i did what you said but i am now stuck in the library module how do i get back to the main are of lightroom please.

I do need to ask another question but need to get back to normal page first.

Many thanks

Robert

• 3. Re: which one of my photos is the master

Not sure what you mean. To turn-off the Filter Bar just hit the backslash key \.

You select modules using the top-right navigation bar:

If they aren't visible click on the little arrow icon at the top-center of window to open it:

Lot's of good tutorials are available here:

Lightroom Help

The Help manual for LR 6/CC is here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/lightroom_reference.pdf

• 4. Re: which one of my photos is the master
                robwood2 Level 1

Hi

Thank you for that, i did go and do what you said but it still didn't show which were the original/master as there were no corners curled over.

When i want to export my photos to my ext hard drive, they are exported to lightroom first otherwise i wouldn't know what pictures to export from the sd card, so they go to lightroom first then i want to export them to the external hard drive before they are modified, does this mean that the photos which have been exported from lightroom to the external are also original/master photos, so if anything happens and i lose that photo from lightroom i can then export from the external hdd into lightroom just as an original and then modify it to what i want.

Hoe i have explained it without confusing you.

I am trying to help my husband do this so i know nothing about lightroom, as they say 2 heads are better than 1 lol.

Would you know how i could find out if there is anybody around my area that robert  can go and get lightroom training/tutorials from ?, i have phoned lots of photographers in my area and robert went to see a couple of people who said they knew lightroom and could show him what to do but both times were a bust and none of the other photographers could offer him any help, would there be a directory in adobe community that he could look at ?, sorry to ask but we are getting so confused over conflicting tutorial help.

Many many thanks

Tracey  ( i am asing th questions he is doing the work , great team work huh lol)

• 5. Re: which one of my photos is the master
                  ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Things are a bit confusing as you seem to be misusing the word "export".

Before your pictures can be edited, they need to be copied (uploaded) from the memory card to your computer.

You can do this manually with the operating system tools, or with third-party software, or by Lightroom as part of the "import" processing.

Before Lightroom can edit your pictures, they need to be "imported" into the LR catalog. The files remain on the hard drive. If the images have not yet been copied to your hard drive, LR can do this copying to the hard drive as part of the "import" off the memory card.

After your images are on your hard drive, you should make a backup copy of them to another location. An external hard drive is a good place for this. LR can make these backup copies during the "import" process if LR is also copying the images off the memory card. Otherwise you need to make the backup copy manually using the OS tools (drag-n-drop) or by third-party software.

After you have edited the images, to see the changes outside of LR for web posts or emailing or printing you need to "export" the edits out of the catalog usually to JPG files. You get to pick where LR puts these JPGs. After you are done doing what you need to with these exported JPGs, you can keep them on your hard drive, or save them maybe to an external drive, or delete them since you can recreate them at any time by doing the "export" again.

Hopefully this clears up some of the confusion and will help you better explain to us what you are trying to do.

• 6. Re: which one of my photos is the master
                    robwood2 Level 1

Hi Joe

Thank you very much that was very clear indeed.

Now for the next bit, this is for my hubby i am just doing the admin part lol,  as we are beginners, well him i know nothing of lightroom, how or what settings do we need to export from the sd card to lightroom and the external hard drive at the same time, we were told that it can be done, he is using a MacBook Pro and has the lightroom cc. i found after i asked this last question that there is the community for lightroom beginners, can you explain in easy and clear terms for me please so we can put the photos to the both places, it is so frustrating as we have been trying to do this for days now.

Many thanks

Tracey

• 7. Re: which one of my photos is the master

Lightroom is not an application you can dive right into and start using.....even if you're a savvy Photoshop user!

I highly suggest you read some of the free available 'Help' materials:

Lightroom 5 Quick Start Guide

...and video tutorials:

New to Photoshop Lightroom CC? Start here.

and more here:

Lightroom for Beginners

Enjoy!

• 8. Re: which one of my photos is the master
                        dj_paige Level 9

robwood2 wrote:

Hi Joe

Thank you very much that was very clear indeed.

Now for the next bit, this is for my hubby i am just doing the admin part lol,  as we are beginners, well him i know nothing of lightroom, how or what settings do we need to export from the sd card to lightroom and the external hard drive at the same time, we were told that it can be done, he is using a MacBook Pro and has the lightroom cc. i found after i asked this last question that there is the community for lightroom beginners, can you explain in easy and clear terms for me please so we can put the photos to the both places, it is so frustrating as we have been trying to do this for days now.

Many thanks

Tracey

You can import (not export) photos from your camera card to the external hard drive, an have the photos registered in Lightroom for you to use in Lightroom all in one operation. NOTE: The photos are never actually stored in Lightroom, they are stored on your hard disk.

To do this, you go into Lightroom, select File->Import. On the left, in the section named "Source', you select the camera card, and on the right, in the section named "Destination", you select a folder on the external hard drive. Then, click Import.

As trshaner said, and as otheres have said in your thread in the Lightroom for Beginners forum, you are strongly urged to view some tutorial videos or read some tutorial articles. Not reading or viewing these tutorials will be the biggest possible mistake you can make if you are a Lightroom beginner. If I could make it mandatory for you to vriew or read these tutorials, I would do so.

• 9. Re: which one of my photos is the master
                          robwood2 Level 1

Hi DJ

Thank you for that, when we asked a few questions at the same time and was told about the tutorials, which we have and still are doing. sometimes even the tutorials are not as clear as you guys on here are which we are very thankful for all the help and answers we get.

Tutorials are good but not always as good as a real person who can explain something more in much greater detail.

Anyhow. Thank you for the help that you have given us.

Tracey