2 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2015 5:31 AM by Trevorׅ

Determining in and out Gamut values for RGB profiles

Trevorׅ Adobe Community Professional

Hi all,

I am looking into how to check if a swatch value falls within my .icc profile gamut.

If I have a color value for example L=74 a=12 b=-37 and I want to see if it falls within my .icc profile I can select Edit>Convert to Profile and choose my profile

I then can select the swatch and see if there's a gamut warning there.

With the above swatch if my color profile is "Photoshop 5 Default CMYK" I will get the warning, if I change the profile to "US Newsprint (SNAP 2007)" I won't get it.

Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 16.57.53.png

Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 16.59.33.png

Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 16.59.05.png

This works great for CMYK profile.

My question is how to check if the color falls inside an RGB profile?

I have tried changing the document intent to Web and Digital Publishing and changing the RGB profile but only changing the CMYK profile affects the out of gamut warning.

Does any one know of a solution to this? The same issue would appear to be in photoshop.

Thanks in advance.

Trevor

• 1. Re: Determining in and out Gamut values for RGB profiles
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Does any one know of a solution to this? The same issue would appear to be in photoshop.

Don't think so, the gamut warning is for the conversion into the document's CMYK space.

You could use a custom Proof Setup set to your document's RGB profile which would show how a Lab color will get converted. So here I have an sRGB proof setup loaded in a copy of the window on the right and I can see that Lab 89|127|64 is not in the sRGB gamut so it will shift if I export it to sRGB.

Screen Shot 2015-05-17 at 4.52.50 PM.png

• 2. Re: Determining in and out Gamut values for RGB profiles
            Trevorׅ Adobe Community Professional

Hi Rob

Thanks for your answer.  I need a solution that I can reproduce by script.

I was in touch with Phil Green from the ICC and he said that if I convert my Lab color to rgb and back again if the was a difference between the original and the new Lab values then the color is out of the rgb profile gamut.

I had tried this prior to his suggestion and wasn't getting any out of gamut values.  I made the conversions using the UI.

After his suggestion I made the conversion by changing the swatches space using scripting and this, to my surprise did show the differences.

This provides the solution I was looking for.

Regards

Trevor