3 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2015 4:36 PM by johnrellis

Nikon AW130 Altitude

Bernd_R

Hi, does anyone know, why the altitude, in which a photo was taken, is not shown in Lightroom (6.0.1).

The camera (Nikon AW130) only supports JPEG. It's a sports camera with GPS and a barometer to determine the altitude. The altitude is saved in the metadata, but the altitude isn't.

Does anyone know, if that is normal, or what I can do to fix this.

Thank's in advance.

Best regards.

Bernd

• 1. Re: Nikon AW130 Altitude
          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

Upload a sample pic to Dropbox (or similar) and post the link here.  We can take a look at what might be going wrong.

• 2. Re: Nikon AW130 Altitude
            Bernd_R Level 1

Hi, I have copied everything from the SD card into the folder. I created a GPD / Altitude log with the Nikon AW130 and made 3 sample shots, that should have GPS and an altitude (both are shown in the camera, but only GPS is visible an the computer).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/75w1j74jwmfdkas/AADQda3VNvq9OexVyRsKPGUYa?dl=0

• 3. Re: Nikon AW130 Altitude
              johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

That folder with all the SD-card contents was very useful.  I used the free Exiftool to examine the three .jpgs, and none of them have altitude recorded in their metadata -- the camera isn't recording it.  I looked at the camera manual but couldn't find any obvious option that controls whether altitude is recorded, and I couldn't find anything useful when googling "altitude exif aw130".   You might look at the manual more careful and/or contact Nikon support.

However, the altitude is recorded in the .log file, which is in NMEA format.  I successfully transferred the altitude to the photos in LR using the following recipe:

1. Use the free GPSBabel to convert the log file to GPX format.

2. In the LR Map module, load the GPX track log with Map > Tracklog.

3. Delete the photos' GPS data with Photo > Delete GPS Coordinates.

4. Set the time zone offset of the photos via Map > Tracklog > Time Zone Offset.

5. Map > Tracklog > Auto-Tag Photos.

You could also use a program like Geosetter to do this (you wouldn't need GPSBabel).