2 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2015 11:22 AM by whardy77

Can I convert Collection structure into actual photo structure?

whardy77

I converted from Aperture to Lightroom. In doing so, LR copied my Aperture Projects folder structure into the default LR date folders. It made Collections that mimicked my Projects folders. I don't like the date structure now that I've used it for a bit. Is there any way to use my Collections structure to rearrange my actual photo storage into the same structure? In other words, I want LR to use the same photo structure as Aperture did. I didn't just point to the Aperture files because I was upgrading drives at the same time.

Any way to do this after the fact? A Plug-in or some other trick?

Thanks for any help...

whardy

• 1. Re: Can I convert Collection structure into actual photo structure?
          Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I know of no way to do this automatically. There are ways to export files and keep a collection structure but that is not really what you are looking for. Do you work with the files in finder directly a lot? If you don't actually touch the files outside of Lightroom, you might want to simply ignore the folder structure and just use the collection structure. It's much more powerful in my opinion to use the folder structure as a simple, very organized storage (i.e. according to date is typically a good idea) and the collection structure as a versatile indexing and collection creation tool. The same image can be in multiple collections. It can only be in one folder.

• 2. Re: Can I convert Collection structure into actual photo structure?
            whardy77 Level 1

I'm sure I can make it work. I have to send the photos out unedited a lot and it seems to be much easier to go straight to them and copy them in the Finder than have to open Lightroom and perform the steps. I would really like to have them in folder structure, but I realize I may have to start all over if I want to do that. There's over 12,000 photos right now and growing.

Maybe something will come up. Thank you for your help.