11 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2015 2:46 PM by the1lemming

How do I set preferences in Premier Elements 13?

the1lemming

Anybody know how I can change the presets for creating projects/rendering videos?

At the moment the presets are set to NTSC DVD standard however I want to have them constantly set to PAL 1080p 25 but for the life of me I do not know how to do this.

I have tried researching this by reading the ADOBE help pages but all they say is that this information is chosen when Premier Elements is installed. I have removed and installed Premier Elements several times in the hope of spotting this feature but to no avail. I have even gone into my Adobe account and changed all my personal details to Western Europe but no matter what I do Adobe sets everything to the American NTSC standard.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: How do I set preferences in Premier Elements 13?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

the1lemming

Please verify that you are using Premiere Elements 13. On what computer operating system are you running your program?

If you are using Premiere Elements 13, the default project preset is

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD1080i30

if in a NTSC setup

and

PAL

AVCHD

Full HD 1080i25

if in a PAL setup

and not NTSC DV Standard (that was the default for Premiere Elements 10 and earlier).

The user cannot change those defaults.

And, it is not possible to set the project preset for PAL 1080p 25 so that it will be the default.

The project preset for PAL 1080p25 would be

PAL

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p25

It is my understanding that NTSC vs PAL will be determined by the installation settings for country and language.

Have you uninstall your Premiere Elements and reset the country and language there to force the program to give you the default

of

PAL

AVCHD

Full HD 1080i25

You are not going to get a default of

PAL

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p25

even if you force the install into the PAL setup.

You could try to contact Adobe Chat for Account Help, using the link

https://helpx.adobe.com/sea/contact.html?step=PRE_adobe-id-signing-in_stillNeedHelp

We will be watching for your progress as your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How do I set preferences in Premier Elements 13?
            the1lemming Level 1

Hello ATR

Thank you for replying and offering advice on where I may be going wrong.  I am indeed using Premier Elements on a computer running Windows 7.

During installation I don't recall being given the opportunity to choose my country of origin and language, so I'm guessing that the installation made the assumption that I live in the USA rather than my current location of the UK.  I have tried to uninstall and re-install Premier Elements several times in the hope of spotting this option but as yet never noticed it.

While experimenting with Time-lapse, I did come across the PAL,DSLR,1080p25 setting.  And as such, probably out of ignorance I have used this setting for all my projects irrespective of being Time-lapse or not.

As I am completely new to editing video projects I very much would appreciate your help and advice on the best settings for Premier Elements 13 and my kit in general so that I can publish the best quality videos for both my computer and Youtube in general.

So far I own a mobius camera, nexus 4 phone and a Swiftcam M3L gimbal for both devices to keep shaking to a minimum.

Both the mobius and phone allow for their settings to be altered but as there are too many options I don't know if I have them set correctly to begin with, and I would appreciate guidance on the most suitable settings to use.

If you have the opportunity, please take a look at two of my most resent attempts at some video editing with the limited skills that I have gained so far.

Widdop 2015 (edited with route names and grades) - YouTube

Stanage Edge - Weapon of Choice - YouTube

Cheers

The lemming

• 3. Re: How do I set preferences in Premier Elements 13?
              the1lemming Level 1

Hello ATR

I have also tried the link to the 24hr chat that you suggested.  The only advice that I was given, was a link to these forums.  No further advice was given and the conversation ended.

Sorry

• 4. Re: How do I set preferences in Premier Elements 13?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

the1lemming

Thanks for the reply.

All may turn out the way you want it. Let me explain.

Premiere Elements 11, 12/12.1, and 13/13.1 were designed so that the project sets the project preset (project settings) automatically based on the properties of the first video dragged to the Timeline. This automatic setting of the project preset depends on the program analyzing correctly the video properties (properties such as clip dimensions, frames per second, pixel aspect ratio, field order).

If you have PAL 1920 x 1080p25 video and Premiere Elements is analyzing it correctly when it is the first video dragged to the Timeline, then you should always be getting the project preset

PAL

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p25.

The project default setting

PAL

AVCHD

Full HD1080i25

is the default when you open a new project and before you drag your first video to the Timeline for the first time. If the project recognizes your video properties, then you get the DSLR settings instead. But, if it cannot recognize your video properties, then it gives you its default which is the 1080i25 which is

PAL

AVCHD

Full HD1080i25.

There is no guarantee that the project will do the automatic set properly for every source video. So, the first time you use a video from a different source, best to check Edit Menu/Project Settings/General to see what the project has set for the project preset. Then decide if you need to start a new project and set the project preset yourself (manually, File Menu/New/Project).

An important note in all this.....if you have photos and videos to be imported to your new project, and you drag the photo into the Timeline as the first drag for the first time, then the project preset will always be 1080i even if you next drag the 1080p video into the Timeline.

ATR

• 5. Re: How do I set preferences in Premier Elements 13?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

the1lemming

About the program language issue...you should be able to set the language and country during installation.

When you get to the installation dialog where it asks NTSC or PAL, what do you select?

Please remind me if you are installing from downloaded installation files or from installation disc?

Later today I will try to find a computer that does not already have Premiere Elements installed and try to install it to the PAL version.

Please review the comments in this post as well as post 4.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: How do I set preferences in Premier Elements 13?
                    the1lemming Level 1

Good evening ATR

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out and explain about NTSC and the PAL settings.

My copy of Premier Elements is my first ever paid for download, which means that I do not have a hard-copy on a DVD.  I have tried a few times, but at no time that I can recal, was I ever given the option to choose my location during instillation.  I do recall being told to amend these settings in my on-line profile but I was never able to resolve this issue. The 24hr Help Chat line sadly had no interest in resolving this issue either.  :-(

May I please ask if there is any real difference between 1080i and 1080p that I should be worried about, or should I just assume that my TV is 1080i?

My TV is a cheap generic HD TV which is plugged into my computer.

• 7. Re: How do I set preferences in Premier Elements 13?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

the1lemming

Thanks for the follow ups and reviewing the suggestions.

Typically, TV playback works with video with a progressive frame rate. If you give the TV player interlaced (each frame with with fields) footage, it usually will  deinterlace it (1frame with no fields). So best start with progressive (1 frame with no fields).

The 1080i vs 1080p project preset can make subtle and obvious difference in the subsequent workflow.

So, I would not sacrifice your source 1080p footage because you can or cannot customize a default project preset other than that of the program.

If your footage is analyzed automatically correctly by the project to give the correct project preset, then you are OK. If not, then you do the manual project preset setting.

I have everything just about set up for an install of Premiere Elements 13. I will try to set it up for PAL. I should have the details of the results within the next few hours.

ATR

• 8. Re: How do I set preferences in Premier Elements 13?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

the1lemming

Some interesting developments stemming from your original thread question.

I am in the United States and use that as country, with the language English.

So, to troubleshoot your issue where you want to have "PAL defaults" for Premiere Elements 13 project presets, I did the following....

a. I started the Premiere Elements 13 install on Windows 7 64 bit, using my Premiere Elements 13 installation disc.

I was greeted by a page Adobe Software License Agreement/English (North America).

b. Next came entering my serial number.

c. Then came a dialog named Options. At the bottom left of the Option dialog, was a field for

"Language". The list included

English (North America)

Deutsch

Espanol

Francais

Italiano

Nederlands

Portugues do Brasil

Svenska

Turkce

polski

cesky

pycc--

and two other choices which were probably Japanese and Chinese. No choice for English (Europe).

I selected Francais and then hit Install which installed the program in French. At no time did I get a choice for NTSC or PAL. I felt certain that, since I had selected Francais, my program would be set for PAL by default.

When the install was complete, I was asked for country. France was already placed there (probably done by the program after I had selected the language Francais. I left it that way and went on to open Premiere Elements 13 to the Expert workspace. The program was in French as was expected, but the big surprise was that the default project preset was not

PAL

AVCHD

Full HD1080i25

but rather

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD1080i30

The following is my conclusion and speculation...

1. I suspect we are governed by what is sold in our part of the world and the variations that exist in each part.

I think that I am stuck with what I have because my Premiere Elements 13 came with the Adobe Software License Agreement English (North America) which gave me some opportunities to customize but not all.

2. At this point, I see no way for me (with what I have purchased) to set up with the English language and control NTSC versus PAL system defaults.

But, I did not go into my Adobe account and change any preferences there. Maybe doing that along with the above might impact the matter?

Please review and consider the above and let me know of any further developments.

Thank you.

ATR

• 9. Re: How do I set preferences in Premier Elements 13?
                          the1lemming Level 1

Good evening ATR

Sorry for the delat in replying as I've been at work for a few days and this hasn't left me a lot of time to respond.

Thank you for taking the time to correspond with this particular issue and for the considerable amount of time you have invested in reinstalling Premier 13 to try and replicate settings for a European location.

I think that we have both come to the same conclusion in that we are limited to one, and only one setting irrespective of where we live in the world.

I will just have to live with this limitation and accept that ADOBE, itself does not know how, or even want to resolve this issue.  Also their 24 hour Help/Chat Service leaves a lot to be desired as the only advice that I was given was a generic link to all the products that ADOBE sell and the option of seeking advice on the forums. This is not exactly good customer service from a global company.

Once again, I truly am grateful for all the help and advice that you have given me.

Cheers

• 10. Re: How do I set preferences in Premier Elements 13?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

the1lemming

Thanks for the reply.

There have been some further developments on my side in the search for an answer to the question of Premiere Elements language/country/default project preset.

No where in Premiere Elements 13 installation do I see the dialog which lets the user customize by selecting NTSC TV Format or PAL TV Format.

Instead, all that the user gets are places to set language and country which is presumed to set automatically the default project preset as well as the language in the program. But it is not working for the default project preset. As I mentioned in an earlier post in your thread, Premiere Elements 13 installation/language and country French and France got me the program in French but a NTSC default project preset instead of the PAL one.

I went back to Premiere Elements 11 installation and had no problem setting for English (North America) and PAL DV Format so that I arrived in the new project with a default project preset of PAL AVCHD Full HD1080i25. The installation for 11 has the dialog for NTSC TV Format or PAL TV Format. I have gone back to 13 and tried the installation settings of English (North America) and selecting United Kingdom as the country. Still NTSC default project preset settings.

At this point, my major questions are

a. What happened to the NTSC TV Format and PAL TV Format dialog in 13 installation?

and

b. Why is not language and country in 13 not directing the program to the appropriate default project presets?

I am continuing to search for the whys for this situation.

Thank you for your follow ups. Appreciated.

ATR

• 11. Re: How do I set preferences in Premier Elements 13?
                              the1lemming Level 1

Evening ATR

Happy Hunting.  :-)

Cheers