9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 10, 2007 5:19 PM by Newsgroup_User

choppy looking gradients

jahyde1972
      Can someone please tell me why when I tile a small gradient gif in CSS like I was taught that the colors seperate distinctively and fail to remain smooth. I know this is a no brainer but I'm stuck. Thanks alot
        • 1. Re: choppy looking gradients
          Level 7
          A link to the graphic would help, but generally, gradients are saved as
          jpegs, not gifs.

--
          Jim Babbage - .:Community MX:. & .:Adobe Community Expert:.
          Extending Knowledge, Daily
          http://www.communityMX.com/
          CommunityMX - Free Resources:
          http://www.communitymx.com/free.cfm
          ---
          .:Adobe Community Expert for Fireworks:.
          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.fireworks
          news://forums.macromedia.com/macromedia.dreamweaver

jahyde1972 wrote:
          > Can someone please tell me why when I tile a small gradient gif in CSS like I
          > was taught that the colors seperate distinctively and fail to remain smooth. I
          > know this is a no brainer but I'm stuck. Thanks alot
          >
          • 2. Re: choppy looking gradients
            Level 7
            GIF files aren't good with gradients. Try a jpg.

Peter
            like I
            | was taught that the colors seperate distinctively and fail to remain
            smooth. I
            | know this is a no brainer but I'm stuck. Thanks alot
            |

• 3. Re: choppy looking gradients
              Level 7
              > Can someone please tell me why when I tile a small gradient gif in CSS
              > like I
              > was taught that the colors seperate distinctively and fail to remain
              > smooth. I
              > know this is a no brainer but I'm stuck. Thanks alot

Make sure you aren't using a system or web optimized color index. Also, as
              other's have stated, JPGs work a bit better for that much of the time.

-Darrel

• 4. Re: choppy looking gradients
                jahyde1972 Level 1
                I know that jpegs are better in somw cases but not these. I'm following tutorials that are using gradients gifs to style as a backround and thet actually look ten times better than the jpegs. I'm wondering how is it done the gifs look better. Thanks for all the input!
                • 5. choppy looking gradients
                  Level 1
                  Really, jahyde1972.

Can you show us two background files of a gif and jpeg to demostrate the signficant difference between those two to <edited typo error> support your claim that GIF does look better.

My experience tells me that JPG usually works best with nice quality gradient background. That is to say, I am interested to find out how did you do that with GIF that actually looks better than JPG. :)

Cheers, DWD

quote:

Originally posted by: jahyde1972
                  I know that jpegs are better in somw cases but not these. I'm following tutorials that are using gradients gifs to style as a backround and thet actually look ten times better than the jpegs. I'm wondering how is it done the gifs look better. Thanks for all the input!

• 6. Re: choppy looking gradients
                    Level 7
                    On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 01:43:24 +0300, jahyde1972
                    <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote:

> I know that jpegs are better in somw cases but not these. I'm following
                    > tutorials that are using gradients gifs to style as a backround and thet
                    > actually look ten times better than the jpegs. I'm wondering how is it
                    > done the
                    > gifs look better. Thanks for all the input!

Check out the number of colors you set for GIF export - you may need to
                    increase it. Try using "Dither" option.

--
                    Ilya Razmanov
                    http://photoshop.msk.ru - Photoshop plug-in filters
                    • 7. Re: choppy looking gradients
                      Level 7
                      >I know that jpegs are better in somw cases but not these. I'm following
                      > tutorials that are using gradients gifs to style as a backround and thet
                      > actually look ten times better than the jpegs. I'm wondering how is it
                      > done the
                      > gifs look better. Thanks for all the input!

As I mentioned, it's likely the particular palet you are indexing the GIF
                      to.

Make sure it's using as many colors as needed and set to 'adaptive' rather
                      than system or web-safe.

-Darrel

• 8. Re: choppy looking gradients
                        Rupert_Breheny
                        Easy fix, I used to curse Fireworks and it's seemingly poor GIF gradients, but I was a bad workman blaming his tools!

GIF - EXACT - COLORS 256 - DITHER 100%

The secret is the dither - I assume it lowers it to save filesize, I had expected a speckled pattern, but with the full 256 the results look great, with none of those horrible JPG artefacts and colour shifting.
                        • 9. Re: choppy looking gradients
                          Level 7
                          A dithered GIF will never look as good as a JPG though.

--
                          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                          Adobe Community Expert
                          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                          ==================
                          http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
                          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                          http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
                          ==================

"Rupert_Breheny" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                          news:f9itfc$cvm$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                          > Easy fix, I used to curse Fireworks and it's seemingly poor GIF gradients,
                          > but
                          > I was a bad workman blaming his tools!
                          >
                          > GIF - EXACT - COLORS 256 - DITHER 100%
                          >
                          > The secret is the dither - I assume it lowers it to save filesize, I had
                          > expected a speckled pattern, but with the full 256 the results look great,
                          > with
                          > none of those horrible JPG artefacts and colour shifting.
                          >