5 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2015 11:06 PM by Monica Singh

How is InDesign Creating ID Attributes in Epubs?

leannpridgen

I'm trying to make an epub using the current CC... I can't get these tables to display correct so I was going to try and fix them in the CSS, but I can't figure out how InDesign is creating the ID attributes. I just can't seem to find anything on this.

I have several text boxes linked to each other and I need to figure out how InDesign is assigning id's (example _idContainer005). I took a screen shot of how its setup in inDesign now and what it looks like after I export it in to an epub...I'm having lots of issues! The tables disappear because I can't just do the traditional create a table from text file I have to make the tables then put text boxes over the table and flow the text because you can't flow text cell to cell.

<div id="_idContainer005" class="lot">

<p class="Paragraph-Style-l">A</p>

</div>

<div id="_idContainer006" class="Basic-Text-Frame">

<p class="Paragraph-Style-n">XXXXXX <span class="name-amf _idGenCharOverride-2">[AMF-CAF-D2F-DDF-NHF]</span></p>

</div>

<div class="_idGenObjectLayout-1">

<div id="_idContainer007" class="Basic-Graphics-Frame _idGenObjectStyleOverride-2">

</div>

</div>

<div id="_idContainer008" class="Basic-Text-Frame">

<p class="Paragraph-Style-c">Birth Date: 12-15-2004&#9;Bull +XXXXX;Tattoo: 4037</p>

</div>

<div id="_idContainer009" class="Basic-Text-Frame">

Screen Shot 2015-05-18 at 10.44.22 AM.pngScreen Shot 2015-05-18 at 10.49.35 AM.png

• 1. Re: How is InDesign Creating ID Attributes in Epubs?
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm moving this to the InDesign EPUB forum.

• 2. Re: How is InDesign Creating ID Attributes in Epubs?
            Monica Singh Adobe Employee

Hi leannpridgen,

In InDesign, these tags are assigned to all the pageitems placed on document. They are created on rendering basis whosoever comes first will be assigned id_Container000 and so on.

To your problem of table not appearing correctly,

Is that you have placed another text frame over the table cells?

Please try: whatever file you want to be converted into table just place it, select the entire text and from table-> convert text to table, you have table ready and then you can style it from table and cell options.

Export the same in epub(reflowable or fixed layout) it should work.

If not please revert back.

Thanks,

Monica Singh

• 3. Re: How is InDesign Creating ID Attributes in Epubs?
              leannpridgen Level 1

Thanks for the info on the id_containers!

About the table... this is what my text file looks like. Its kinda complicated (see below). I work for a company that deals with cattle DNA and I have to take the animals Expected Progeny Difference (those are the numbers on paragraph styles e,m,r,v) and put them in the tables (see screenshot below). Then comes paragraph style p, this is the animals pedigree (sire, dam, granddam, grandsire, etc.). All of the text boxes are linked to each other and grouped together. So once exported to Epub it just falls apart.  I've tried what you suggested many times before and it just doesn't work the way I need it to. Its also not efficient, most sale books I make are over 30 pages long with over 100 animals in it. My work is now try to get on board with Epubs and they want it to be a reflowable layout for the breeders. I don't it will ever work until they make cells flowable.

Thanks for your help!

<ASCII-MAC>

<ParaStyle:Paragraph Style l>85X

<ParaStyle:Paragraph Style n>Sinclair XXXX

<ParaStyle:Paragraph Style c>Birth Date: XXXXX(tab)Cow XXXX(tab)Tattoo: XXXXXX

<ParaStyle:Paragraph Style c>

<ParaStyle:Paragraph Style e> -1 .21(tab)+2.8 (tab).4(tab)+36(tab).25(tab)+68(tab).23(tab).31

<ParaStyle:Paragraph Style m> +20(tab).17

<ParaStyle:Paragraph Style r> -.02(tab)+.07

<ParaStyle:Paragraph Style v> +21.67(tab) +45.79

<ParaStyle:Paragraph Style p> XXXXXXXX  (tab)  #XXXXXXXX

<ParaStyle:Paragraph Style p>XXXXX (tab)    XXXXX

<ParaStyle:Paragraph Style p> XXXXX  (tab)  #XXXXX

<ParaStyle:Paragraph Style p>  XXXXX  (tab)  #XXXXX

<ParaStyle:Paragraph Style p>

<ParaStyle:Paragraph Style p> XXXXXXXX  (tab)  #XXXXXXXX

<ParaStyle:Paragraph Style p>XXXXX (tab)    XXXXX

<ParaStyle:Paragraph Style p> XXXXX  (tab)  #XXXXX

<ParaStyle:Paragraph Style p>  XXXXX  (tab)  #XXXXX

<ParaStyle:Paragraph Style f>Sells with bull calf at side (Lot XXA) calved March XX by XXXXXX.Screen Shot 2015-05-21 at 8.32.17 AM.png

• 4. Re: How is InDesign Creating ID Attributes in Epubs?
                leannpridgen Level 1

I forgot to ask is there anyway to name those id containers before indesign does?

• 5. Re: How is InDesign Creating ID Attributes in Epubs?
                  Monica Singh Adobe Employee

Hi,

No, Id will only name them. There is this option to put in your external CSS which would then be honored. But that will require too much of efforts and the container Id will still be there.

But, I am still confused on how are you not able to get things working. Ofcourse, content from one cell will not flow in another, restr all should be possible.

You can apply styles on cell text, format the rows styling accordingly.

If possible can you share your doc for more help.

Thanks,

Monica Singh.

InDesign Team.