4 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2015 11:28 AM by A.T. Romano

Importing a .m4v file the audio is cut off at the end. Premiere Elements 11

bno67

I have videos that were shot with a Nikon d7100 and the file is .m4v (exported from the new Apple Photos app) and when importing this file into Premiere Elements 11 the end of the audio is shifted.

Since I was recording a performance the end of the audio and applause is many seconds before the video actually ends.

This is quite frustrating I have used this Premiere Elements 11 for a few years without and issues.

(I am using a Retina Macbook Pro 15in running OS X Yosemite)

Screen Shot 2015-05-18 at 12.05.12 PM.png

• 1. Re: Importing a .m4v file the audio is cut off at the end. Premiere Elements 11
          A.T. Romano Level 7

bno67

Premiere Elements 11 Mac

Are you working with the Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Editor purchased from the Mac App Store or from the Adobe Premiere Elements 11 Mac?

For now, i will assume the latter.

When you say that the audio/applause has shifted many seconds before the end, what is in the duration from when you do hear the audio to the end - no sound? And, is the rest of the audio in the video now out of sync? I am assuming that you are importing into these programs a file which contains audio linked to the video.

What is the situation if you import your video into iMovie instead of Premiere Elements 11? Still have the audio/applause shift?

From what I have read the Nikon D7100 records with AVCHD video compression and present with a .mov file extension.

In that case, where did you get the .m4v file extension for your problem video? Was there any conversion going on from recording to Apple Photo app to Premiere Elements? That needs to be looked into. You source file could be

1920 x 1080 60i or 50i or 30p, 25p, or 24p (AVCHD.mov)

or

1280 x 720 60p or 50p (AVCHD.mov)

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7100/spec.htm

What are your project settings - what does it list for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if it looks grayed out) under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General?

Please review and consider, supply more details, and then we will decide what next based on the details of your reply.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Importing a .m4v file the audio is cut off at the end. Premiere Elements 11
            bno67 Level 1

Thank you for your reply,

I originally installed Premiere Elements 11 from a disk I had purchased.

From when I can't hear the audio to the end, there is no sound, and it is 2min and 40sec.

The audio and the video are out of sync and the audio is linked to the video in this file.

Previewing the video using quicktime everything is normal and there is no missing audio and nothing is out of sync.

Also, If I import the video into iMovie the audio is also normal.

The Apple Photo app seems to convert the videos to .m4v on export, it's new and it seems pretty slow and buggy.

I recorded it 1080p 30fps.

Here are the project settings: Screen Shot 2015-05-18 at 1.48.17 PM.png

Thanks.

[EDIT] On the Photos app it says it's .MOV 1920/1080p 30fps. It won't let me put a file directly into Premiere Elements, so I dragged all the video files I was working with to a new folder on my desktop and it seems to have changed the files to 720p and .m4v... I don't know why.

• 3. Re: Importing a .m4v file the audio is cut off at the end. Premiere Elements 11
              bno67 Level 1

I just figured out you need to export the file in the Apple Photos app as an "unmodified original" and it exported as a .mov file.

• 4. Re: Importing a .m4v file the audio is cut off at the end. Premiere Elements 11
                A.T. Romano Level 7

bno67

Thanks for the update with the great news of success. Great job sorting out the details to resolve your issue.

Your information should be of interest to the Premiere Elements Mac user and source media and the Apple Photos app.

Best wishes moving forward with your projects.

ATR