7 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2015 4:39 AM by Rick Gerard

How to set link between layers? (fixed start time on layer)

same13

Hello,

Is it possible to link a layer to the end of the video, for example, fixed (5s) time for the solid 2:

composition time 10s:

solid 1 (0...5s)

solid 2 (5...10s) five seconds

--> Change composition time to 8s:

solid 1 (0...3s)

solid 2 (3...8s) five seconds

Best regards,

SM

• 1. Re: How to set link between layers? (fixed start time on layer)
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You can do this with time-remapping and some expressions, but then of course you could just as well time-remap the whole pre-comp.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: How to set link between layers? (fixed start time on layer)
            Dave LaRonde Level 6

It's REALLY easy to move the layer on the timeline so the out point is at the end:

• Tweak the layer's out point so it's the duration you want.
            • Put the timeline cursor (aka CTI) at the end of the comp by hitting the End key.
            • Highlight the layer in question.
            • Hit the ] (square bracket) key.

The out point of the layer in question goes to the position of the timeline cursor... which you put at the end.  Doesn't get much simpler than that.  If irt takes you longer than 2 seconds to do it, something's wrong.

• 3. Re: How to set link between layers? (fixed start time on layer)
              same13 Level 1

Could you give me more specific instructions because I am not so familiar with AE

• 4. Re: How to set link between layers? (fixed start time on layer)
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I am not so familiar with AE

Well, then what would be the point of fixing you up with complicated expressions? Sorry, learn the program first.

Mylenium

• 5. Re: How to set link between layers? (fixed start time on layer)
                  same13 Level 1

Instead of writing this you would've gave me the answer. I meant that I am not so familiar using expressions: I know only some basic functions but no clue how should I do this time-remapping. I tried it and looked for more information from the internet but couldn't get it working. So should I use the time-remap for the layer which I want to be the last on my comp?

I want to have an AE-project TEMPLATE for multiple different uses. There is three parts: intro, "other stuff", outro, where the "other stuff" is changing (1 minute to 50 minute) and the intro is easy to put on first, but the outro is complicated for me. I want it to go to the end of comp automatically after changing the composition time.

• 6. Re: How to set link between layers? (fixed start time on layer)
                    same13 Level 1

I don't see how this helps me. I have written more exact background info about my problem.

A help would be appreciated.

• 7. Re: How to set link between layers? (fixed start time on layer)
                      Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here are two simpler options.

1: Render your intro and outro, import the renders into After Effects, select the intro, hold down the Ctrl/Cmnd key and select the "other stuff", select the outro and then right click or go to File>Create new Comp from selection, choose sequence layers. A new comp will be created with all your assets trimmed to the length of the sequenced layers. Now press Alt/Option + Cmnd/Ctrl + m to add your comp to the Adobe Media Encoder or Shift + Cmnd/Ctrl + m to add to the Render Cue.

2: (Easier and faster to render in the long run) Import your Rendered intro and outro into Premiere Pro, select in order the intro, other stuff and outro, then choose new sequence from selection. Render.

You can't use expression to slide a layer, but you can use an expression to set the in-point of a layer based on the outpoint of another layer so expressions won't work. If you have hundreds of these to do then you'll have to write a script that creates a comp from your selected footage. Using After Effects for editing together 3 clips is a very inefficient way to work, but if you want to stick to AE a script is the only way to automate this.

Last point, if you have created a new comp and you want to set the end point of the comp to the last frame of the longest layer then select that layer in the timeline, press the o key then the n key to move the CTI to the last frame of the layer and set the work area to the CTI, then add to the render cue or send to the AME and your render will match the length of the work area.