5 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2015 6:23 PM by A.T. Romano

.VOB Video file played in Premier presented with a vertical black bar as if the video is wrapped from the left margin.  File plays perfectly fine through other video software.

DF1000jk

.VOB Video file played in Premier presented with a vertical black bar as if the video is wrapped from the left margin.  File plays perfectly fine through other video software.  Any way to adjust aspect of video presentation or playback to prevent this? 

• 1. Re: .VOB Video file played in Premier presented with a vertical black bar as if the video is wrapped from the left margin.  File plays perfectly fine through other video software.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

DF1000jk

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

Not sure of the nature of your problem as you describe it. Does it present throughout the duration of the file or is it only at the end of the playback like this

EndOfFile.JPG

What are the properties of these DVD video files (VTS_01_1.VOB etc) - NTSC or PAL Standard or Widescreen?

What is your project preset? If not sure, please tell us the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if they look grayed out) under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General. It may be that you have to set the project preset manually before importing your source file.

The answers will be in the details.

Please review and consider, supply more information, and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: .VOB Video file played in Premier presented with a vertical black bar as if the video is wrapped from the left margin.  File plays perfectly fine through other video software.
            DF1000jk Level 1

Well,

I will try to answer all - Premier ver 13.1 (latest update)

Issue throughout video clip.

.VOB, standard display (4 : 3)

60 fps, 352/480 video resolution, frame height 525

Mpeg2 compression

Project Setting/General (they are grayed out): DV/NTSC, 29.97 frames per second, 720/480, D1/DV NTSC, Upper field first, 30 Fps Drop-frame Timecode, 20 20, 10 10.

Thanks for your help!

• 3. Re: .VOB Video file played in Premier presented with a vertical black bar as if the video is wrapped from the left margin.  File plays perfectly fine through other video software.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

DF1000jk

Thanks for the reply.

You are dealing with a highly atypical MPEG2.VOB file for Premiere Elements (any version) import. However, from what I have read this 352 x 480 seems to be considered "DVD compliant". If you have alternative video software which handles this type of video, you might be better served using it.

However....

Could you clarify....do your have a portrait oriented video (352/480) in a 524 x 480 frames or did mean to represent something else when you include 352/480 , frame height 525?

And, for frame rate, is that 60 progressive frames per second or 60i which would represent 60 fields per second (29.97 interlaced frames per second)?

But, at this point, the start is the frame size of your video and whether or not it is portrait or landscape and whether or not there are black borders in the frame to begin with.

If I create a 352 x 480 (width x height) image and bring it into a 640 x 480 (width x height) project, the best I can do is

Atypical.JPG

Here I am using a Premiere Elements 4:3 project preset

NTSC

FLIP

Flip MIno and Ultra 29_97.

I can rotate that to have a landscape orientation, but then I would have the 480 x 352  image in a 640 x 480 frame (black borders top, bottom, right, left).

You could scale the video in the Edit area monitor to the point where the black borders would be gone, but that would involved a zoomed in view.

If you post a screenshot of the view that you described in the opening of your thread and clarified your reply, I could give this another look to see if I have overlooked what you seek.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: .VOB Video file played in Premier presented with a vertical black bar as if the video is wrapped from the left margin.  File plays perfectly fine through other video software.
                DF1000jk Level 1

The video (.VOB) file is a "canned" export file from an in-car video system.  The files are typical DVR compliant VOB files with overlay data (closed captioning) data that I need to keep.  I have a similar VOB file from the same manufacturer's equipment that imports fine.  I would send a screen grab but the video is part of a protected action and I cannot do that.  I have attempted to select various default project settings and re-import the video in new project settings but this has not helped.  I just cannot understand what Adobe sees in the video file that other players do not.  Your help is appreciated ATR.

• 5. Re: .VOB Video file played in Premier presented with a vertical black bar as if the video is wrapped from the left margin.  File plays perfectly fine through other video software.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

DF1000jk

Thanks for the reply.

We can keep the troubleshooting doable on a reply to reply basis in the thread, but I do need clarification in these replies.

For instance, I am still not clear on the properties of the first vob that was mentioned...I still have not figured out how the 520 frame height is related to the 352 x 480 video that you say you have. Now you write

I have a similar VOB file from the same manufacturer's equipment that imports fine.

When you say similar, how similar?. What are the properties of this second vob....352 x 480? And what Premiere Elements project preset are you using when all goes well with this similar vob in your Premiere Elements project?

All of this relates to what I brought up in post 3. Please review and consider post 3 content as well as this post 5. The more information on the properties of the videos under discussion might trigger an idea for how to approach this from the Premiere Elements perspective now that you mention a "similar" file that does work for your purposes while the originally discussed on does not.

Thank you.

ATR