6 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2015 1:56 PM by PicMomof5

how can I get mpeg files in premier elements

PicMomof5

Hi!  I have just downloaded Premier Elements but when I tried to open my Sony cameras memory stick in premier, it's not a recognizable file format.  I downloaded the K- Lite Codec pack so that I could see it in windows media but need to edit the clips for a kindergarten graduation dvd...thanks!

• 1. Re: how can I get mpeg files in premier elements
          A.T. Romano Level 7

picmomof5

What is your computer operating system? What version of Premiere Elements are you using?

Can I assume Premiere Elements 13 if you say that you have just downloaded Premiere Elements?

If 13, be sure to update 13 to 13.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates.

What are the properties of the video from this Sony camera - video compression, audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio? If unsure, telling us the model/settings for the Sony camera that recorded your video should give us the important video properties information.

Please confirm the nature of your problem....

a. Can you import your files into a Premiere Elements project without issue?

b. Is your problem only in viewing a MPEG2.mpg export from Premiere Elements when the player is Windows Media Player?

c. If your computer operating system is Windows 8 or 8.1 64 bit, can you play the export MPEG2.mpg using the VLC player?

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

d. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements?

Please review and consider, and supply more details. The answers will be in those details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: how can I get mpeg files in premier elements
            PicMomof5 Level 1

ATR, you are wonderful!  I am very new at this so thanks so much for your

help!

I am running Windows 8.1, yes, Elements 13.  I can watch them on Windows

Media Player and I did download the VLC player and can see them on that as

well.  I did import them but cannot view them at all, no video, no sound.

I get this error:  The selected file cannot be displayed because your

system does not have the required compressor/decompressor (codec)

installed.

I did install K-Lite Codec pack but don't know how to use it or convert the

video to what I can use to edit and make a movie in Premier.  I have a Sony

Hanydcam DCR-SX41 model.  I don't know what any of that other stuff means

Thanks again!

Any help would be great, I have such great video's to edit and share with

all of the parents and teachers but just don't know how to make it all work!

Angie

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 3:12 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 3. Re: how can I get mpeg files in premier elements
              A.T. Romano Level 7

picmomof5

Thanks for the follow up.

You should be able to import a MPEG2.mpg file into Premiere Elements 13 on Windows 8.1 64 bit.

Two initial approaches

1. Download and install the free codec utility named GSpot to determine if it will tell us specifically what codec might be missing.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

2. Did the Sony Picture Motion Browser software come with your Sony DCR-SX41? If so, did you install it on your computer? If the answer is no, then install that software on your computer to determine if it will give you the missing codec if we are dealing with missing codec.

As far as I can determine your video is

640 x 480 MPEG2.mpg with Dolby Digital 2 channel sound.

What is your project preset - did you set it yourself or did you let the program do it for you automatically.

I am going to ask you to set the project preset manually...

1. Open the project to its Expert workspace, and go File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

2. In Change Settings, change the project preset to

NTSC

FLIP

Flip Mino and Ultra_29.97p

and then OK out of there.

3. In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". Then OK out of there.

4. Back in the Expert workspace, try to import your MPEG2.mpg from the hard drive save location using Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the file to the Timeline.

Let us rule in or out the above factors, and then we will decide what next based on the results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: how can I get mpeg files in premier elements
                PicMomof5 Level 1

It's working now!  Thanks so much for your help!

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 3:43 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 5. Re: how can I get mpeg files in premier elements
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

PicMomof5

Great news. Great job in sorting through the details to gain your success.

Please do not hesitate to ask if any questions about your Premiere Elements workflow.

Thanks for the follow up. Appreciated.

Best wishes.

ATR

• 6. Re: how can I get mpeg files in premier elements
                    PicMomof5 Level 1

Can't thank you enough for your help!

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 4:53 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>