13 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2015 7:17 AM by alan092349

combining lightroom 5 and lightroom cc files?

alan092349

I have been using Lightroom 5 for several years.  I recently paid the $10/mo. and upgraded to Lightroom CC.  After I downloaded Lightroom CC I did use use Lightroom 5 to work on some photos.  These files do not appear to be in my Lightroom CC files.  I would prefer to just have Lightroom CC running on my computer--don't really see any advantage to have both applications available.  How can I have Lightroom CC be my only running version on my computer but see all of the photos?  Do I have to uninstall Lightroom CC and then reinstall it?  Can I do that and is it easy or do I screw up my recent purchase?

• 1. Re: combining lightroom 5 and lightroom cc files?
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

This may be a bit clunky and there might be a better way. Make sure LR 6 is shut down and Delete the LR 6 catalog. It is named Adobe Lightroom Catalog.lrcat. Next time you start LR 6/CC it will want to upgrade your LR 5 catalog and will include the edits you have done on those images in LR 5.

But if you had used LR 6 to edit any other images those edits might be lost if you haven't check the option to store edits, Write edits, to a XMP file. Without that option checked all edits are stored in the catalog file.

• 2. Re: combining lightroom 5 and lightroom cc files?
            Steve House Level 1

When you install LRCC it converts a COPY of your existing LR5 catalog but does not delete the original.  It also leaves LR5 installed and active so you can run either one.  If you then bring in new files or edit existing files using LR5, it does NOT automatically update the LR6/CC copy of the catalog with the new info.  Once you're satisfied that LR6/CC installed properly and the catalog converted as it should, uninstall LR5 and do all your new work, whether new shoots or further edits on older work, in the new version.

• 3. Re: combining lightroom 5 and lightroom cc files?
              GSVAI

Ok... so I have accidentally worked on hundred of files using an older LR version. After re-importing into LR6 I am unable to see the changes I applied in the previous LR version. Why doesn't it import the metadata from an older LR version? Shouldn't this be back and forward compatible?

• 4. Re: combining lightroom 5 and lightroom cc files?
                JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Because by default Lightroom writes all of your metadata changes and adjustments to the catalog only. That's why the catalog is central to efficient workflow in Lightroom. Your best bet would probably be to delete the first catalog that Lightroom CC created, and then let Lightroom CC open your Lightroom 5 catalog again and create a new updated copy for Lightroom CC. Then if everything is working well for you in the new version you would be safe to uninstall Lightroom 5. I have done that. I only have Lightroom CC installed on my computer.

Just one more note of clarification. As Lightroom moves to new major versions the database technology gets updated. And in order to have things work smoothly the database structure or format has to be updated with each new major version. Consequently the old catalog must be upgraded, and it won't be compatible with previous versions.

• 5. Re: combining lightroom 5 and lightroom cc files?
                  ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

No. Not back and forward compatible.

The best you have is the option to convert a LR5 database to the new LR6 database.

If you have new data in both catalogs, what you can do is convert the old LR5 catalog to a new LR6 catalog, then "import from catalog" from into the original LR6 catalog.

• 6. Re: combining lightroom 5 and lightroom cc files?
                    alan092349 Level 1

Thanks for all the replies and help, it is greatly appreciated!! 

• 7. Re: combining lightroom 5 and lightroom cc files?
                      GSVAI Level 1

Thank you...seems like that's the way to do it in my situation ("convert the old LR5 catalog to a new LR6 catalog, then "import from catalog" from into the original LR6 catalog.")

• 8. Re: combining lightroom 5 and lightroom cc files?
                        hry2181

sorry - I'm confused -- wouldn't I be importing the catalog FROM LR5 and TO LR6 ?

• 9. Re: combining lightroom 5 and lightroom cc files?
                          alan092349 Level 1

I thought I had this all figured out but it didn't work.  Since I hadn't edited any photos with LR CC, I just uninstalled the Creative Cloud and Lightroom CC.  Then I reinstalled them and I figured LR CC would look at all my current LR 5.7.1 files and folders and convert them to the new standard.  But, it didn't do that.  I originally installed the CC and LR CC on 5/8--it appears it converted all the photo files in the catalog on 5/8, but definitely did not include any of the photos that were entered into the LR 5.7.1 catalog between 5/8 and now.  So I am back to square one??

• 10. Re: combining lightroom 5 and lightroom cc files?
                            Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi Alan,

I would suggest you to try the following steps to open your Lightroom 5 catalog in CC version so that you can get all the edits :

1. Open Lightroom 5.7 and go to catalog settings to check for the location where you Lightroom catalog is stored. (If you are on Mac, Catalog settings are under the Lightroom menu and on windows, they are under Edit menu)

2. Make a note of the location where your Lightroom 5.7 catalog is stored and then, close Lightroom.

(by default, it should be under Pictures\Lightroom)

3. Go to that location manually where your Lightroom 5.7 is stored, right click (Windows) or control-click (Mac) on the catalog name and choose open with Adobe Lightroom (instead of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7.1)

4. This will prompt you to upgrade the catalog to Lightroom CC. Choose the option to upgrade the catalog.

Also, if you will like to set that upgraded catalog to be opened every time when you open Lightroom CC, you can update that within preferences :

Under preferences -> General tab -> click on the drop down menu for "when starting up use this catalog" -> choose the name of the current catalog"

And make sure whenever you launch Lightroom next time, you launch the one that says Adobe Lightroom (and not Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.7.1) so that you do not get back to previous version somehow. Alternative would be to create the shortcut for the current version or to uninstall Lightroom 5.7 after doing the upgrade correctly.

Thank you,

Chetna

• 11. Re: combining lightroom 5 and lightroom cc files?
                              wobertc Adobe Community Professional

sorry - I'm confused -- wouldn't I be importing the catalog FROM LR5 and TO LR6 ?

If the first LR6 catalog has recent edits done to images, then you will be importing those EDITS from the "now OLD-LR6 Catalog" into the "NEW LR6 Catalog- created a second time from the left-over OLD-LR5 catalog"

So in time-line format-

1. LR5 Catalog > LR6 Catalog No.1

2. Edit in LR6 Catalog No.1

3. Re-install LR6 (keeping LR6-Catalog No.1 )

4. LR5 Catalog > LR6-Catalog No.2 a SECOND time! (without the edits done in LR6 Catalog No.1)

5. Import from LR6-Catalog No.1  into LR6-Catalog No.2 (to get those new edits)

And just to re-iterate:  Lightroom does not adjust or alter your images, they remain exactly where and how they always were. Only the Catalog DATABASE is changing.

• 12. Re: combining lightroom 5 and lightroom cc files?
                                Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

When you uninstall any version of LR that does NOT Delete, remove, the Catalog file for that version of LR. The Catalog file is completely separate from all the Program files.

All you had to do, if you read my first reply, was to DELETE the Lightroom 6 Catalog file, with Lightroom 6 shut down. Then when you started LR 6 again it would of Re-Converted your present, Up To Date, LR 5 Catalog file to work with LR 6 including all the edits you have done.

Also you need to turn on the option to Automatically write changes to XMP. That way, with that option turned on, all edits are stored in a XMP Sidecar file along side the actual image file.

• 13. Re: combining lightroom 5 and lightroom cc files?
                                  alan092349 Level 1

I followed Chetna's suggested steps and that solved my problem.  I am grateful to all those who took the time to respond to my question--thanks a bunch!!