• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating a SCORM compliant video with quiz (assessment) for university's 20,000+ students. Has any had a similar experience?

Community Beginner ,
May 19, 2015 May 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to find out how you made it available to students.  We were planning on using Blackboard but were told that Blackboard would not be able to handle that many students taking a test.

We can either break it up or try another LMS or another way to deliver it to students.

TOPICS
Quizzing and LMS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Taking test all at once? I used Blackboard but restricted number of

students on test at same time. Would also recommend to use the SCORM

template that sends result only at end if quiz, not after each question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SCORM template?  Where can I find this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on holidays, means I cannot create screenshots, did not bring laptop.

When you configure Reporting, and choose SCORM 1.2 or 2004 you have choice

in a dropdown list for a template.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh. Ok. I knew about that. I have no problem uploading my project to

Blackboard and getting responses to record in the Grade Center.

I am just looking for viable delivery options.

Our Blackboard admins think that uploading this course for 20,000 students

will time out or break..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
May 20, 2015 May 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could always put the video on a private YouTube channel and use the YouTube widget in Captivate. This may alleviate some of the bandwidth issues. Are these users going to be simultaneous or spread out?

We have an annual ethics course that has 45K users. Our LMS started to break at 1500 simultaneous and the start of the fiscal year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2015 May 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The idea was to create a Blackboard Course site and make that available to all 20000+ students.  We would give them a deadline of 6-8 weeks.

I like the idea of using the youtube widget. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 17, 2015 Jul 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you know there will be complications, you're ahead of the game. 

20 K students / 8 weeks is 2500 students PER WEEK. You can control the traffic by breaking apart the messages to the students into weekly installments giving them a 5 day window with 2 days grace. After the 5 days, you should ping them with messages every four hours the first day, two hours the second day, and (possibly) hourly the final 4 or 5 hours. The last group will need to be started early to actually finish before the 8 week deadline.

The messages would need to be structured with increasing detail, intensity and authority; but always providing details on help and support options.

You're LMS would need to manage and report the 20K of users, but you would be shepherding them through it at 2500 per week.

I surely hope the LMS has been launched for a few months by the project start; the users, admins, super-admins are trained; the majority of the 20K users have used THIS VERSION before; you won't be pushing an upgrade to the LMS during this project; and this won't be the welcome they get when they first login to their email to begin a new semester!

Oh, and you DO have a staff of experienced professionals working with you?

If any of these assumptions are incorrect:

1) You would need to prep your audience with some smaller assignment a week or two prior to the video & quiz

2) You will need to establish a help desk, hopefully with your IT department's support, to handle support issues via phone, email and text!

3) Your contact should include paid time off to recover from the project once it is successful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources