20 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2015 5:16 PM by Peter Spier

Page content suddenly gone

jill hinson

Hi all -

I'm working on a workbook in InDesign CS6 and having major issues with a file. I'm sure it's corrupt...but I'm trying to find a workaround.

It is an 86 page workbook, and suddenly yesterday, about 30 of the last 40 pages just went blank. The pages are still there, but the content isn't showing up.

A couple important notes:

1. The content still shows up in the LAYERS panel, but it's not showing up on the actual pages / spread...so my hope is that it's still in there somewhere.

2. I cannot select all, copy, or paste anything on the blank page. Sometimes when I click around I get a tiny little box in the center of the page that I can't expand or do anything with.

3. I have tried exporting as an IDML and am unable to open the IDML file.

4. Preflight looks good, and there are no text errors.

5. I've tried copying the layer and then SOME of the content shows back up, but not all of it. Weirdly, when I copy the layer on one spread, it copies all the layers on every spread as well.

Please, please, please help me figure out how to get the content that's in the layers showing up on the pages!!

• 1. Re: Page content suddenly gone
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If IDML didn't work I suspect the file is too far gone to fix easily.

I've seen a bug in CC, but not sure about CS6, where ID loses track of geometric bounds for objects. Symptoms of this bug are that a selected object's size will be listed in scientific notation in the Control panel becuse ID thinks it's either astronomically large or astronomically small. The only way I've been able to save such a file is to delete the affected pages and rebuild them. You should be able to select an object that appears to be missing, but is listed in the layers panel, by clicking the little square next to the object name in the panel to check the dimensions.

What do you man by copy the layer on a spread? Layers are document-wide and appear the same on all spreads. Only the objects on the layers are specific to a spread.

• 2. Re: Page content suddenly gone
            jill hinson Level 1

Here is an example of what I am seeing. Before I hit this picture, I hit "Select All." A little blue box shows up in the middle of the page that I can't do much with. But weirdly, everything that SHOULD be on the page is listed in in the layers panel. If I copy this layer within this page, every other page produces a copy of the layers on that page too. It's very strange. I'm fine at this point with starting over, but I'm not sure how to prevent it from happening again so I'd like to find the root of the problem.

It's not InDesign because I've tried it on multiple computers, and have uninstalled then reinstalled to no avail.

Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 12.14.14 PM.png

• 3. Re: Page content suddenly gone

I don't know what exactly is happening, or why, but it looks like it might be related to the groups. If you look in the panel the groups are selected, but not the objects inside the groups, and there is no little box to lock the objects inside the groups.

• 4. Re: Page content suddenly gone
                jill hinson Level 1

I think I'm close to figuring out the root of the problem...but still need some advice. I think the corruption was caused by a font. I uninstalled and reinstalled the font and now all of the pages that have "disappeared" (aka the items in the layers panel are not showing up on the screen) now are showing up in preflight as having overset text (it wasn't showing that before). When I double click on an error item in the preflight window, it takes me somewhere way off in the gray zone of the indesign file.

When I try to select all and copy - indesign freezes. When I export an IDML and try to open it - indesign freezes as well.

But is there a way to address all the preflight overset text issues all at once...or temporarily remedy them in a way where I could just pull the graphics over to a new document?

• 5. Re: Page content suddenly gone
                  jill hinson Level 1

i meant to attach a photo...here it isScreen Shot 2015-05-19 at 5.07.21 PM.png

• 6. Re: Page content suddenly gone

This is sounding more an more like the bounds bug I mentioned earlier, but you haven't shown us any of the dimension fields, so I can't be sure.

You can get the text, if the program doesn't crash while you try, by selecting one of the frames in the Layers panel, then hit Cmd + Y or  Ctrl + Y to open the story in Story Editor, then put the cursor anywhere in the story without selecting anything. File > Export... and choose InDesign Tagged text. If that crashes, try select all and copy to the clipboard, then paste into a new file.

• 7. Re: Page content suddenly gone
                      jill hinson Level 1

yes I think you're right. When I "selected" (via the layers panel) a random text box...it showed this as the scale X percentage: 1.0353487912799457e-34% and the y percentage was 0%. I think I'm looking at the right thing...is there a better way to view dimensions to see if this is actually the problem?

The Story Editor worked for getting the unformatted text...but I was hoping to get the formatted text and (especially) the graphics (mostly shapes and text) I've already created.

• 8. Re: Page content suddenly gone

That's the bug.

Tagged text would be formatted (you Place it in a new file), and even the clipboard should paste as formatted text into a new ID file.

• 9. Re: Page content suddenly gone

By the way, if the overset text is threaded to another frame on a page that is still OK you can just delete the bad page, replace it , and reflow the text normally.

• 10. Re: Page content suddenly gone
                            patricev89507296

I too, have just had 6 pages of my 52 page doc "disappear". When I look at the links panel it is telling me that all links on those pages are on the PB but nothing is showing. When I go to the pages and select all a tiny random blus box appears in the center. Thoughts? I do not have time to re-format these pages.

• 11. Re: Page content suddenly gone
                              jill hinson Level 1

Yes - and I assume part of the bug is making pasteboards larger than life? See attached pic. When I copy and paste, it includes the wonky pasteboards as well...and I've tried selecting all and deleting what's on the pasteboard but it's not working.

The story option looked like it was going to work and then froze / crashed. I think I've hit a dead end. Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 7.27.15 PM.png

• 12. Re: Page content suddenly gone
                                jill hinson Level 1

But if you agree and i have hit a dead end...any tips on how to avoid this in the future?

• 13. Re: Page content suddenly gone
                                  patricev89507296 Level 1

Jill, by any chance can you tell me waht font was causing you problems. I am having the exact same problem and can't risk it happening again.

• 14. Re: Page content suddenly gone
                                    jill hinson Level 1

I THINK it was avenir. I had two sets of it in my fontbook with little yellow warning signs about duplicated. It was weird though because it wouldn't let me delete or remove it within Font Book. I deleted it by finding the actual file in finder and reinstalled just one...updated the fonts in the document and crossed my fingers that was the issue.

• 15. Re: Page content suddenly gone

Jill, don't copy the frames, copy the text from story editor.

• 16. Re: Page content suddenly gone

I don't think this necessarily has anything to do with the font. I've seen it now about a half dozen times from different users.

• 17. Re: Page content suddenly gone
                                          patricev89507296 Level 1

HA-I have that font showing as missing from an ad someone else created. I feel like there is just some setting that got selected on these pages because when I copy and paste into a new doc all is fine.

• 18. Re: Page content suddenly gone
                                            patricev89507296 Level 1

Peter are you saying I should re-import all my links instead of copying and pasting them? What about just deleting these affected pages in this doc and adding new ones?

• 19. Re: Page content suddenly gone

You can copy paste the text (and the images if you are able to select the content of an image frame -- you can use the buttons on the control panel or Object > Select > Content after selecting from the layers panel), but don't attempt to copy any frame that is wonky. Otherwise, just re-import any text or images after replacing the pages.

And I'd run through IDML at that point, too.

• 20. Re: Page content suddenly gone
                                                patricev89507296 Level 1

Thanks, I've got it all back but still would love to know the cause of this, I can't deal if it keeps happening. One minute everything was there and the next-poof gone! Thanks for your help I appreciate it.

• 21. Re: Page content suddenly gone

I'm afraid I can't help with a cause, but I'm really glad you were able to recover.