8 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2015 10:42 AM by A.T. Romano

Transcoding Error?

AG-DS Level 1

I'm working on a Dell Precision M6600, Intel Core i7-2860QM, Adobe Premiere Elements 12. I'm trying to burn a 15 minute video to a DVD. I've got no titles, and Space Required says: 977MB(8Mbps bitrate). I've got a blank DVD with 4.7 GB of space. Almost immediately after I click "Burn" I get a "Transcoding Error" with no explanation. I'm not a computer guru or settings master I merely edit simple videos so I'm at a complete loss after a few hours of googling & searching these forums. Can anyone help me figure out why I can't burn this video to DVD? I had no trouble when I exported the file for computer/mobile viewing as a draft.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Transcoding Error?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

AG-DS

Premiere Elements 12 on what computer operating system?

Have you updated 12 to 12.1 using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates? If not, please do so.

Did you apply a Movie Menu to the project? If so, what Timeline markers did you place? Did you place a stop marker after the last item on the Timeline? If so, remove it since it is not needed, and it leads to burn failures when in that location.

a. Look at the spacing for the Timeline markers

b. Look for red framed buttons (overlapping) in the main menu page and scene selection page in the Movie Menu customization area of the program.

c. Look at the burn to disc with and without Timeline markers and Movie Menus.

Go to the Edit area, expand the Timeline with the -+ slider above the Timeline. Search the opened tracks for debris, fragments, and misplaced clips that got lost beyond the end of the Timeline content (look for thin black vertical lines scattered among the track content. Open and search all tracks, used or not. Also, look at transitions placement, gaps.

As a double check of the Premiere Elements burn software, determine if you can do a successful burn to folder.

Let us start here and then, based on the details in your reply, we will decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Transcoding Error?
            AG-DS Level 1

Thanks ATR! Here's some more info.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro. I installed the updates as you mentioned. I'm not using any timeline markers as this is just a basic slideshow (photos & videos for high school graduation).

a. Do I need some kind of timeline markers for the burn to be a success?

b. Again, I'm not using a menu option for this project.

c. I've not included markers or menus for this project.

I went to the Edit area & followed your suggestions. I did not have any extraneous, outlying content beyond the end of the timeline in any of the tracks. All transitions and audio tracks seem to be in good condition & placement.

I can't find any option in the "Publish+Share" menu to "Burn to Folder" only "Private Web Album, Social Websites, Disc, web DVD, Computer, Mobile Phone and Players" Ultimately we'd like this to be highest-quality for play on a 60" smart TV.

I appreciate the ideas-hopefully something else I've said will trigger another suggestion from you!

Thanks.

Allison

• 3. Re: Transcoding Error?
              AG-DS Level 1

I just noticed a little warning triangle in the bottom left. I clicked on Details, it says this:

AdobeMediaEncoder

Cannot open "\\.....Encoded Files\IS-2015Grad.prel\Sequence01\DVD\Movie.m2v" file for writing. Please check the output filename and file permissions (if it already exsists) and then try again.

I found the file listed in the path, but I'm not sure what to do next in attempt to "fix" it. It appears I have all file permissions assigned to "Allow" except for "Special Permissions" which is greyed out.

• 4. Re: Transcoding Error?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

AG-DS

Thanks for the further information.

Do you have a file in your Timeline by the name of Movie.m2v? What are its properties and what is the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded that video.

If so, for troubleshooting purposes, remove it from the Timeline, and then determine if the problem is gone.

If it is, then we will decide what next, including permission considerations if indicated.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Transcoding Error?
                  AG-DS Level 1

There is no file in my timeline called Movie.m2v. As far as I can tell it's the rendered file? I moved the original one, clicked "Render" again and it created a new file with same name in the same location, it's 0kb (same as the initial file). Now what?

• 6. Re: Transcoding Error?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

AG-DS

Thanks for the reply.

Typically the Movie.m2v file in the DVD Folder in the path Encoded Files Folder/Project Name/Sequence 01/ represents the generic name for the video encoded for the disc. These are temporary files that will disappear once the project is closed. So, if the path is pointing to the writing of the whole Timeline (Movie.m2v), a corrupt file and/or other in the Timeline could be creating the cannot write message and giving you an empty Movie.m2v.

If you have not already, let us clear these temporary DVD encoding files and then try the burn to DVD-VIDEO again.

To get rid of these temporary DVD encoding files either

a. save close reopen the project

or

b. go to Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0 and delete the whole Encoded Files Folder (assumed that you have Encoded Files Folder saved at that location. See Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disc and its Disc Encoding category.

First try the burn to Folder (4.7 GB). If successful, try the burn to disc. Burn to folder is done

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD

and, in the burn to field, select Folder (4.7 GB) instead of disc.

If that does not work, then we are going to focus in on that Timeline content...details of formats and everything else.

ATR

• 7. Re: Transcoding Error?
                      AG-DS Level 1

Hi ATR,

I have had success in between my reply & your response. I copied the .prel file to another drive (maybe with more space?) and successfully burned to a DVD. Burning to a folder was not an option on either drive. Unfortunately I'm not really sure what I "fixed" by burning from a copied .prel file, BUT it was successful and I have what I needed. Thanks for helping me work through this-I REALLY appreciate your insight & suggestions.

Allison

• 8. Re: Transcoding Error?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Allison

Great news. Great job.

If you ever need burn to Folder (4.7 GB) or burn to Folder (8.5 GB) in your Premiere Elements 12/12.1, please give the following location another look

burntofolder.jpg

The result is a folder saved to the computer hard drive location of your choice. The saved folder contains two folders: one named OpenDVD and the other named VIDEO_TS.

When you want to take the VIDEO_TS Folder in the saved folder to DVD disc, then you can do that with the free 3rd party burn software named ImgBurn.

My preferred route is the burn to disc. But, if, for some reason that is not possible, and you are in a time crunch, then burn to folder should be explored.

How to burn a DVD Folder with ImgBurn - AfterDawn: Guides

Just in case note...it is always important to point the scratch disc to a location with lots of free space to accept the scratch files that are automatically being sent there by the project during the workflow.

Best wishes as you move forward with your Premiere Elements projects.

Thanks.

ATR