20 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2015 7:23 AM by andix.brown

Library Continually Corrupting Preview Display

johnd17387434

Hello, Can anyone please tell me how to fix my corrupted previews? I just upgraded to LR 6, WIN 7 64.

The pattern is always the same:

When I open a folder initially, the thumbnail previews in Library are OK.

However, as time goes on, its like LR is going thru each image one at a time, "updating" the preview, and each time it does, it updates it to a "wrong" preview - usually another image. Once it updates it, it stays "wrong." It seems to like to use the same preview for multiple files, ie it will take the preview of #1, and make 2,3, and 4 etc look just like 1.

Every time I literally watch it slowly ruin the previews one at a time.

The only way I can seemingly fix the corrupt previews is to go into single view mode, and then zoom in. Then LR takes another 10 secs or so to actually read the data (says "loading"), it zooms in, and then its fixed. Having to actually zoom into every image just to get the correct preview? is driving me nuts.

Ideas? I tried purge cache, that hasnt seemed to work.

I cant imagine a worse bug. Not knowing what your actual images are? or "losing" them?

Thanks-

• 1. Re: Library Continually Corrupting Preview Display
          bob frost Level 3

My guess is that you need to delete your previews folder containing all the previews and the previews.db and rootpixels.db files. NOT the catalog!

Then select All Photographs and go to Library/Previews and tell it to build all new standard previews. Purge the cache as well for luck!

Bob frost

• 2. Re: Library Continually Corrupting Preview Display
            trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It sounds like the Previews folder from your previous LR version was not properly converted for use with LR6. Did you move the previous version LR Catalog to a different folder location separate from the LR Previews folder prior to launching LR6? What size is the LR6 Preview folder and how many files are in it?

• 3. Re: Library Continually Corrupting Preview Display
              johnd17387434 Level 1

Thanks guys,

I was just about to delete the preview files like u said, but upon loading today, it seems to be magically working fine again! All the corrupted previews are gone, they have the right ones back again.

It seems like LR is not trying to "do" anything now, and Ive realized that this bug has always been intermittent with me in the past (including in LR 4 versions) and is always when LR is in the MIDDLE of handling previews for lots of NEW folders at the same time.

So I'm thinking it is not actually about the upgrade to LR 6 at all, but somehow in dealing with a "new" folder.

And I dont mean at the very initial IMPORT stage, all these corrupted folders I have PREVIOUSLY imported, some of them long ago. It's seems to be more about recent usage, like when I try to view multiple folders with hundreds of hi res files, ala the D800.

I think it has to be something about looking at a "new" folder or something not accessed in a long time. Since I had loaded all the formerly broken folders yesterday, they seem to be working today as its not trying to "do" anything to them now.

It seems? like LR makes multiple "passes" in making previews on a new or not recently accessed folder. In the first pass, there are greyed out thumbnails, then it goes to low res previews, and then, in the final pass, it tries to redo them in higher res.

I'm guessing my bug occurs in this "final pass" - where it tries to update to hi-res, but doesnt finally go thru somehow. For that session at least, the previews get all ruined. But as I discovered today (and now this seems familiar to me, this pattern) the next day its finally all done, and has the correct previews. Just some thoughts for anyone trying to fix it?, LOL.

For whatever reason, it seems that when you initially import a new folder, even tho it "seems" to be updating the big 1:1 previews in there and then finally "finishes", not "all" the real work is actually done at that import stage.

It would seem that opening and "working" with said folder causes LR to do all this EXTRA previewing and updating, and THAT is where this particular bug seems to be, in this "middle" stage.

Thanks again.

• 4. Re: Library Continually Corrupting Preview Display

You can do a check of both old and newly imported images to see if the previews are up-to-date. Click on a folder in question, 'Select All' (CTRL + A), and go to menu Library> Previews> Build 1:1 Previews or Standard Previews (depending on what you normally build). Only those files with previews that are NOT up-to-date will have new 1:1 and Standard previews created. You can check a complete folder tree by selecting 'Show Photos in Subfolders' in the Library menu, Select ALL, and then select Build 1:1 Previews, or just Standard Previews. To check ALL images imported into LR under Catalog click on 'All Photographs and repeat the process.

You will see the status of Preview building in the Progress Bar.

johnd17387434 wrote:

It would seem that opening and "working" with said folder causes LR to do all this EXTRA previewing and updating, and THAT is where this particular bug seems to be, in this "middle" stage.

When you edit multiple image files in the Develop module LR does not "automatically update the Library Standard or 1:1 Previews. It only updates the thumbnails used in the filmstrip and grid views. The best way to update the previews after an editing session is to use the procedure as outlined above. Select all of the images recently edited and then Build 1:1 or Standard Previews based on your viewing requirements.

• 5. Re: Library Continually Corrupting Preview Display
                  johnd17387434 Level 1

I'm afraid the corrupting problem is back! with a total vengeance and is driving me absolutely crazy. I dont know what images are which, the previews completely change on me into the wrong ones, over and over.

So, I made a brand NEW catalog. And I imported a single folder, only. with 179 Raw files from the Nokia Lumia 1020 to test. I imported the folder yesterday.

Upon opening today:

To start, the folder has all the wrong previews. When I zoom in to an image, and it says "loading" - the image preview then corrects itself and is OK.

So I tested doing a develop tweek: I tweeked the first image slightly in develop mode, then Sync the settings for the whole folder. This FIXED all the previews, as it synced, the previews fixed.

However.... LR then went back thru the whole folder, ruining them again!

LR has some obvious bug where it wants to ruin my darn previews. No matter what temporary fix I do, it will always go back thru the folder eventually, "behind the scenes" and ruin them.

I tried updating the previews with the Library>Build Previews, and the Build 1:1 Previews. This only corrupts the previews.

Currently, the ONLY thing that works is to use the Develop Mode or the Zoom in Feature. I presume these use the actual raw data? or whatever, thats why they work. 

but since the preview system is somehow broken? These "fixes" are only temporary. LR is entirely useless if u cant "trust" the previews.

Help! please, thanx.

• 6. Re: Library Continually Corrupting Preview Display
                    dj_paige Level 9

My guess is that your hard disk is malfunctioning intermittently, causing this corruption. There is no way that I can think of that Lightroom is doing this.

• 7. Re: Library Continually Corrupting Preview Display

johnd17387434 wrote:

I tried updating the previews with the Library>Build Previews, and the Build 1:1 Previews. This only corrupts the previews.

Currently, the ONLY thing that works is to use the Develop Mode or the Zoom in Feature. I presume these use the actual raw data? or whatever, thats why they work. 

It sounds like you may have a corrupt or incompatible monitor profile, which will cause the Library preview to look different than the Develop preview. Please explain (in detail) what the "corrupted preview" looks like and how it is different than the Develop module preview. Posting a screenshot of the both previews would help a lot!

• 8. Re: Library Continually Corrupting Preview Display
                        bob frost Level 3

I don't think you have said that you have tried uninstalling and reinstalling LR6/CC? Have you?

Bob Frost

• 9. Re: Library Continually Corrupting Preview Display
                          johnd17387434 Level 1

Hmm, no I havent tried reinstalling, I could try. Am not sure about what monitor profile I would even be using? as I havent even setup to calibrate it or anything. Any idea on where to check this?

The "corrupt" preview doesnt look corrupt! LOL, thats the entire problem.

The corrupt preview is always just a normal looking "copy" of the preview of the file RIGHT next to it.

So, for example, image #1 preview is correct.

Image #2's preview is identical to #1, when is actually a totally different shot. 

This is frustrating because the previews are thus always correct "seeming" - but potentially wrong. The only sort of giveaway is when I have like 3 identical images in a row, but of course, anyone shooting multiple similar shots in a row like I normally would do on a shoot - this is how they tend to shoot anyway, so my problem is its hard to know which previews are right, and which are wrong.

Again, it switches back and forth, from wrong, to right, to wrong again.

Another clue:

I just used the Metadata>Update DNG Preview & Metadata feature. This seems to fix the preview. So far, its holding.

But again, my major issue is not being able to "trust" which previews are good, which are not. How do you know which images to update when it looks like a 'good' preview?

I just developed the whole folder, and compared the deved jpegs to the LR previews, and now am finding occasional wrong ones.

• 10. Re: Library Continually Corrupting Preview Display
                            dj_paige Level 9

It's hard for me to think of a rationale where uninstalling/reinstalling fixes previews, as this process leaves the previews untouched. It is also hard for me to see a rationale where a monitor profile will cause this to happen. Can anyone explain how either of these actually affect the matter at hand?

I can envision a process where a database is corrupt and thus the wrong preview appears for a given photo. There are really two databases being used, the Lightroom catalog, and the operating system file system (which believe it or not is indeed a database). If the latter, then a hard disk going bad could easily be the cause of the problem. If the former, in all cases that I know of, forcing Lightroom to regenerate the previews ought to solve the problem, but it does not.

So, again my thought process leads me to say that the most likely source of the problem is some hard disk failure. I would advise running diagnostics on the hard disk to check its health.

• 11. Re: Library Continually Corrupting Preview Display
                              bob frost Level 3

If I were uninstalling and re-installing LR6, it goes without question that I would delete and create all new previews, and purge the acr cache, and delete the old prefs file. Then you are down to a problem in the catalog? If the problem persists, then I would export the catalog to a new one. but since it happens with a new catalog, I don't see that as the cause. I have seen LR get its 'knickers in a twist' over previews in the past, and show the wrong previews. But I've not experienced it in recent versions.

bob Frost

• 12. Re: Library Continually Corrupting Preview Display
                                johnd17387434 Level 1

I have the same images on another hard drive so am testing to see if LR does the same thing to that folder. I am also gunna flag the ones that go wrong to see if only certain ones.

I dont think it would be a hard drive issue. I suppose I could install LR on another hard drive to be absolutely sure, but this looks like a LR bug to me.

I personally think it might be an issue with the Nokia DNG raw images. I notice that sometimes when I first import them, they have an odd color cast in the Import Previews dialog, often a very magenta or blue cast which after updating goes away. I have also noticed that the corrupted previews, while seemingly identical to the file that precedes it, has just a slight more blueish cast to it, another 'tell' its a wrong preview.

• 13. Re: Library Continually Corrupting Preview Display
                                  dj_paige Level 9

If I were uninstalling and re-installing LR6, it goes without question that I would delete and create all new previews, and purge the acr cache, and delete the old prefs file.

But the previews have been regernerated a few times already, so creating all new previews has already been tried.

• 14. Re: Library Continually Corrupting Preview Display
                                    dj_paige Level 9

I have the same images on another hard drive so am testing to see if LR does the same thing to that folder. I am also gunna flag the ones that go wrong to see if only certain ones.

But it's not the images that are the problem, it is the previews, and they exist only on a single disk, or do you have multiple sets of previews on different disks?

I dont think it would be a hard drive issue. I suppose I could install LR on another hard drive to be absolutely sure, but this looks like a LR bug to me.

I disagree with this logic. It doesn't sound like a Lightroom bug at all to me, but you really ought to check your hard disk, the expenditure of time to do this is cheap insurance at this point. By the way, reinstalling LR on another disk doesn't affect the previews, they remain in the same location, so I don't see how installing Lightroom on another disk addresses a previews problem. (By the way, why is it that you think the problem is NOT a hard disk, you didn't explain)

Now putting the catalog file on a different disk (which by default generates new previews on a different disk) may indeed be helpful, if the problem goes away then you can assume that the problem was the original disk.

• 15. Re: Library Continually Corrupting Preview Display
                                      johnd17387434 Level 1

yeah, I was thinking trying to reinstall LR on a totally different drive. So am I correct in presuming you think its the hard drive that actually has the LR installation and the previews on it? as opposed to the external drive with the actual RAW's on it, yes?

i will try to check the hard drive if u have any suggestions on best way to do so. Windows has some tools, not sure if any good.

• 16. Re: Library Continually Corrupting Preview Display
                                        dj_paige Level 9

So am I correct in presuming you think its the hard drive that actually has the LR installation and the previews on it? .

Yes, I believe that there may be a problem on the hard drive that has the previews on it. It has nothing to do with what drive LR is installed on.

The previews are (by default) on the same drive as the catalog file. Which is why, if you are going to perform a test, you might want to move the catalog file to a different disk instead of installing LR to a different disk.

• 17. Re: Library Continually Corrupting Preview Display

johnd17387434 wrote:

i will try to check the hard drive if u have any suggestions on best way to do so. Windows has some tools, not sure if any good.

SMART Utility will usually show if the HDD is failing:

PassMark DiskCheckup - SMART hard drive monitoring utility

• 18. Re: Library Continually Corrupting Preview Display
                                            andix.brown

I have the same/ similar problem:

LR6 after importing pictures for some shows a completely wrong preview (i.e., a different picture, but one out of my collection; NOT wrong colors etc. of the correct picture!)

This only is corrected if I (a) zoom in 100% or (b) render 1:1 previews.

To me, it appears to be a bug in the caching mechanism of LR.

What I tried is:

• rendering standard previews -- doesn't solve the problem
                                            • rebuilding the catalogue -- doesn't solve the problem
                                            • deleting the previews file -- nope, doesn't work
                                            • 20. Re: Library Continually Corrupting Preview Display
                                              andix.brown Level 1

I somehow solved the problem (actually, on two different computers where the problem occurred):

I deleted the preview file and cache, then reset the preview resolution to "auto" and rebooted (no idea why).

From then on all standard previews are created correctly and so far stay correct.