4 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2015 4:55 PM by ManiacJoe

Removing Intense Reflection In Lightroom

GoToHeelDook

Hey everyone,

I'm new to Lightroom and find the software fairly user friendly. I know most will recommend I use Photoshop for this, but this is simply a hobby and I prefer the LR interface better.

I've included a picture of an eye that I'd like to remove the reflection from, place in a pupil, and sharpen the iris of the eye to make an aesthetically pleasing photo.

Can anyone recommend how easiest to do such? Thanks!

Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 4.45.44 PM.png

• 1. Re: Removing Intense Reflection In Lightroom
          andrewfreeman Level 3

I'd advise using PS: LR is really not the tool for this. You need a pixel editor.

This is the best you are going to get from LR6: For the pupil you can do this using the red eye correction tool and using the pet correction setting, turning off the catchlight, creating a pupil and then using a local adjustment brush or radial brush filter set to -4EV to reduce the catchlight further, ensuring automask is off. You might need to add several brushes. However, it really doesn't look right to me. The edges of the pupils should be clearly defined.

As for sharpness: the eye doesn't look sharp in the first place, so any sharpening method isn't going to work very well.

Alternatively, if the other eye doesn't have a reflection, re-create the pupil use the spot healing brush and set the target to the other eye. However, it's unlikely the other eye is unaffected and will look like the one you are trying to correct.

Screen Shot 2015-05-19 at 4.45.44 PM.jpg

• 2. Re: Removing Intense Reflection In Lightroom
            Ian Lyons MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Check the other eye. If there is no reflection or it's not as obvious you can see if the clone /heal tool can be used to fix the bad eye. Otherwise, I think you'll need to use something like Photoshop Elements

• 3. Re: Removing Intense Reflection In Lightroom
              Benjamin Root MVP & Adobe Community Professional

andrewfreeman wrote:

For the pupil you can do this using the red eye correction using the pet correction setting, turning off the catchlight, creating a pupil and then using a local adjustment brush or radial brush filter set to -4EV to reduce the catchlight further. However, it really doesn't look right to me. The edges of the pupils should be clearly defined.

The adjustment brush could be set to a harder edge. But yes, a job for Photoshop.

Benjamin

• 4. Re: Removing Intense Reflection In Lightroom
                ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

My first thought is to try the "red eye" correction tool.