4 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2015 7:21 AM by dj_paige

Hard drive with cataloged images lost

slhartsf

Ran into a situation where I thought I had lost my cataloged images on my external "working" HD.  That got me wondering how to recreate a new hard drive according to the catalog file structure.  I have a "backup" HD with my images copied during the import process.  When I import, I put NEF raw files on the "backup" HD (this is where LR's second copy goes to) and DNG files on the "working" HD per the catalog's file structure.  Should I make a copy of my "working" HD on another HD per the catalog file structure as a "working" backup?  Is this a HD you would maintain manually, i.e. what's the best way to do this?

If I were to lose my "working" HD without a copy of it, would I have to re-import the NEF files from "backup" HD?

• 1. Re: Hard drive with cataloged images lost
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

If you like working with the DNG files instead of the NEF files, without a backup of the DNG files, you would need to convert the NEF files again.

Check to see if the DNG files are also copied to the second location like the NEF files are.

If it was me, I would manually backup the DNG files as it is simple to do, if LR is not doing that for you as part of the import.

You could keep them separately from the NEF files or let them share the same directory tree. I am not sure which would be better since I just use the NEF files.

• 2. Re: Hard drive with cataloged images lost
            slhartsf Level 1

No, LR does not make a "backup" DNG on import, it only puts the NEF file in the "backup" HD.  It really doesn't matter what file type I work with, but I use DNG for its "foolproof" standard in case something in the NEF type gets changed.

LR does not, as far as I know, have a way to create a backup of my "working" HD on import, so I think I have to do this manually.  The working HD is the one structured per the catalog.

I think what I need to do is to wipe my "backup" HD with the NEF files (this HD is not structured like the catalog).  Then copy the working HD on to the backup HD.  I don't know why LR does not put a DNG file on import into the backup HD.  In the future when I import, I will uncheck LR's "make a second copy to" box and only copy the DNG to the "working" HD, then manually copy the DNG files onto the backup HD.

I hope that makes sense, does anyone know a better way?

• 3. Re: Hard drive with cataloged images lost
              slhartsf Level 1

my problem is, if I lose my working HD, I don't have a backup that is imaged like the catalog, so I will have to start all over again and lose all my editing.  So, I will make a copy of my working HD as my new backup.

• 4. Re: Hard drive with cataloged images lost
                dj_paige Level 9

I think what I need to do is to wipe my "backup" HD with the NEF files (this HD is not structured like the catalog).  Then copy the working HD on to the backup HD.  I don't know why LR does not put a DNG file on import into the backup HD.  In the future when I import, I will uncheck LR's "make a second copy to" box and only copy the DNG to the "working" HD, then manually copy the DNG files onto the backup HD.

I hope that makes sense, does anyone know a better way?

The better way, in my opinion, is to use third-party backup or third-party cloning software, so this can be automated and run at regular intervals. Manually copying files is fine until you are too busy or just plain forget and then you no longer have a complete full backup. So I believe it is best to eliminate the possibility of human error, thus the recommendation to do this in an automated fashion.

Also, it is not clear to me from your words if you are making regular backups of your catalog file, but this is a MUST as well as backing up the photos. The catalog file backup probably should wind up on the same external HD as the photo backups.