15 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2017 6:54 AM by trshaner

Lightroom CC does not recognize my lens profile on JPEG files.

sebastienfr Level 1

Hello,

I tested several lenses but Lightroom CC does not recognize my lens profile on JPEG files, only RAW, anyone has the same issue ?

I'm a Nikon D7000 user and I shot with Nikkor 80-200 / 2.8 and 35 / 1.8 and the lens is not even listed in the nikon drop down list.

Even worse, the profile of old picture of my catalog are removed.

Thanks for your feedback,

Sébastien.

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC does not recognize my lens profile on JPEG files.
          DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

Lens profiles are specific to the file type RAW or JPEG/TIFF. When your camera firmware produces a jpeg file it may already be applying some lens corrections. So lens correction that may be necessary for a RAW file are not necessarily applicable to a already processed file.

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC does not recognize my lens profile on JPEG files.
            sebastienfr Level 1

Thanks for your quick answer but this was perfectly working wit LR 5 and does not explain why lens selection is limited to a non relevant subset nor why the right lens is not found as before.

Regards,

Sébastien.

• 3. Re: Lightroom CC does not recognize my lens profile on JPEG files.
              DdeGannes Adobe Community Professional

Since LR 4 lens profiles from third parties and those created by the user need to be installed in the user folders. When you run a Lightroom installation package the Lens profiles created by Adobe are installed in their specific location. I have no idea why your lens profiles are not being recognized.

See the info below as to where you should find your user created profiles.

Your custom Camera Raw & Lens Profiles should be installed to the User folders…

Lightroom 4 no longer uses the shared ProgramData (Windows) / Application Support (Mac) folders for Camera or Lens Profiles. Instead, it stores the built-in profiles with its program files.

When you create camera or lens profiles, they must be stored in the user locations listed below. If you previously stored custom profiles in other locations, you’ll need to move them to these user folders, otherwise Lightroom won’t be able to find them.

Windows Vista or 7—C: \ Users \ [your username] \ AppData \ Roaming \ Adobe \ CameraRaw \ CameraProfiles \

Mac—Macintosh HD / Users / [your username] / Library / Application Support / Adobe / CameraRaw / CameraProfiles /

For the lens profiles, substitute the LensProfiles folder for the CameraProfiles folder.

The camera and lens profile file extensions are:

.dcpr—camera profile recipe file used for creating/editing a profile in the DNG Profile Editor

.dcp—camera profile

.lcp—lens profile

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC does not recognize my lens profile on JPEG files.
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

sebastienfr wrote:

I'm a Nikon D7000 user and I shot with Nikkor 80-200 / 2.8 and 35 / 1.8 and the lens is not even listed in the nikon drop down list.

Even worse, the profile of old picture of my catalog are removed.

Thanks for your feedback,

Sébastien.

Did you install LR CC on the same system as LR5? Did you uninstall LR5 and remove the below 'LensProfile folder that contain the User Lens Profiles?

These two lenses only have lens profiles for raw image files and not JPEG tiles. If you had lens profiles inside LR5 then they must have installed using the Adobe Lens Profile Downloader. They should be in the 'User' folder as Ddegannes provided:

Windows Vista, 7, or 8:

C:\ Users \ [your username] \ AppData \ Roaming \ Adobe \ CameraRaw \ LensProfiles \

Mac—Macintosh:

HD / Users / [your username] / Library / Application Support / Adobe / CameraRaw / LensProfiles /

• 5. Re: Lightroom CC does not recognize my lens profile on JPEG files.
                  2xj Level 1

For Lightroom CC 2015 on a Mac, you have to put it here:

/Applications/Adobe Photoshop Lightroom/[Right-click Show Package Contents]/Resources/Lens Profiles

Per: https://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2014/05/where-does-lightroom-install-camera-and-lens-profile s.html

• 6. Re: Lightroom CC does not recognize my lens profile on JPEG files.

That link is for LR 4.2 RC user camera and lens profiles, which is different than LR 5, 6, and CC 2015. Did you try the folder path suggested above? HD / Users / [your username] / Library / Application Support / Adobe / CameraRaw / LensProfiles / Make sure to restart LR to load the new profiles.

• 7. Re: Lightroom CC does not recognize my lens profile on JPEG files.
                      Wurlitzer-1015 Level 1

I wouldn't mind carrying on this thread as it doesn't seem to have a solution and I have the same problem, or closely related.  Using LR6 I have many catalogs that all allow me to set the lens profile from a very comprehensive list of cameras and lens. 

However I've just created a new catalog and firstly LR hasn't recognised the camera or lens (Leica M240/Noctilux) automatically even though everything is fine in the EXIF metadata but more to the point the Lens correction drop-down list only shows a few lens (only 9 including a Yuneec??).  The data under the histograms, ISO, lens focal length, aperature and speed so it is reading the metadata OK.

I checked the resources folder and that is fully populated with hundreds of lens, so not a problem there.

If I go back to one of my older catalogs, a full list of lens appears again.

Can anyone suggest why suddenly new catalogs are only showing an abbreviated list of lens.

Thanks.

• 8. Re: Lightroom CC does not recognize my lens profile on JPEG files.

Wurlitzer-1015 wrote:

Using LR6 I have many catalogs that all allow me to set the lens profile from a very comprehensive list of cameras and lens.

However I've just created a new catalog and firstly LR hasn't recognised the camera or lens (Leica M240/Noctilux) automatically even though everything is fine in the EXIF metadata but more to the point the Lens correction drop-down list only shows a few lens (only 9 including a Yuneec??).

As has already been mentioned in replies above. There are far fewer JPEG lens profiles than raw lens profiles. Most likely the image files in the other catalogs are raw files. What file type are you using in the new catalog with what version of LR 6?

• 9. Re: Lightroom CC does not recognize my lens profile on JPEG files.
                          Wurlitzer-1015 Level 1

Thanks, sorry I should have mentioned these are with DNG files.  I've never had the corrections available with the jpegs, even on the old ones, but this is to be expected as you mention.

I also have LR 5.7 installed, I'm just about to uninstall it and try LR6 again.  Funny thing is, when I added the photos to a new LR5 catalog and use LR5 the lens correction list is back to a full one so I suspect perhaps some conflict going on.

Lightroom version: 6.0 [1014445]

License: Perpetual

Operating system: Windows 8.1 Business Edition (Windows 10 in fact)

Version: 6.3 [9600]

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 4

Processor speed: 2.6 GHz

Built-in memory: 8096.9 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 8096.9 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 548.2 MB (6.7%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 563.6 MB

Memory cache size: 105.8 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 4

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX

System DPI setting: 96 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 1920x1080

• 10. Re: Lightroom CC does not recognize my lens profile on JPEG files.

You can leave LR5.7 installed until you are sure LR6 is up-to-speed. The LR 6 install will convert your existing catalog and create a new catalog. I always suggest keeping both installations and catalogs until you are sure everything converted and carried over properly.

• 11. Re: Lightroom CC does not recognize my lens profile on JPEG files.
                              Wurlitzer-1015 Level 1

Thanks for that, I've already gone through the process of converting the old catalogs from LR5 to LR6, they were all OK and had all the lenses in the correction area.

Without know why, the uninstall of LR5 has done the trick, now new catalogs created directly under LR 6 have all the lenses displaying. Must have been some conflict I suppose.  I'll leave LR5 uninstalled, no real reason to go back to it.

Thanks for you help and advice.

• 12. Re: Lightroom CC does not recognize my lens profile on JPEG files.
                                Snemanje poroke Level 1

I ended here because I have the same problem, as well: today (3th January 2017, and letest Lightroom CC 2017), I imported images that I took with my older Pentax camera body and popular 35mm Pentax lens on it. I shot JPEG. On my surprise Lr shows only ONE Pentax lens profile - the one I manually installed a while ago, for an old manual Pentax Lense. Since this was my main camera / lens combo for few years I'm just shure that in older version there was profile for this lens, for JPEG. In fact one of the main reason I stay on Lr against C1 was huge lens profile support for all my lenses. Now, only for DNG.

I'm tired of tweaking Lr over and over again. I just lost "before/after" shortcut in latest version of LR and I can't fix it. Since I use non english keyboard that was not working and before I fixed it via "TranslatedStrings.txt", but now seems to not work anymoore. I just want to be productive, but it seems I must worship this Adobe product(s), instead doing my work. This are not tools, but slavery torture devices we are tighten to it. Much like slaves on roman galley.

• 13. Re: Lightroom CC does not recognize my lens profile on JPEG files.
                                  Snemanje poroke Level 1

Oh yes... I found solution for my before/after shortcut stopped working:

"TranslatedStrings.txt" need to be renamed to "TranslatedStrings_Lr_en_US.txt"... I said I'm tired of tweaking...

First of all after research where this folder lives (I forgotten) I found that names was changed. So I tried adding "_Lr_en_EN"... nothing. After spending another time on internet I found it must be "EN", not "EN". If anyone is interestzed (and to be searchable for me after I will foget agian):

Find (hidden) folder
                                  C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\Resources\

and create subfolder "en"
                                  and create TXT file inside TranslatedStrings_Lr_en_US.txt

Than string "$$$/AgDevelop/Menu/View/BeforeAfter/Before/Key=a" (with brackets) forces Lr to use "A" key for before/after command. You can add whatever. Search other languages for hint.

I should charge Adobe instead othervise.

• 14. Re: Lightroom CC does not recognize my lens profile on JPEG files.

Snemanje poroke wrote:

I ended here because I have the same problem, as well: today (3th January 2017, and letest Lightroom CC 2017), I imported images that I took with my older Pentax camera body and popular 35mm Pentax lens on it. I shot JPEG. On my surprise Lr shows only ONE Pentax lens profile - the one I manually installed a while ago, for an old manual Pentax Lense.

That is correct–There are no Pentax Lens Profiles for JPEG files. You'll need to manually install available JPEG lens profiles using the Adobe Lens Profile Downloader.

Adobe - Adobe Lens Profile Downloader : For Windows

Adobe - Adobe Lens Profile Downloader : For Macintosh : Adobe Lens Profile Downloader 1.0.1 : Thank You

• 15. Re: Lightroom CC does not recognize my lens profile on JPEG files.

Snemanje poroke wrote:

Oh yes... I found solution for my before/after shortcut stopped working:

"TranslatedStrings.txt" need to be renamed to "TranslatedStrings_Lr_en_US.txt"... I said I'm tired of tweaking...

I should charge Adobe instead othervise.

Placing this unrelated issue here (i.e. Lens Profile topic) is unlikely to help anyone! You can create a new post in the LR forum, or better yet create a Problem Report at the Photoshop Family Forum. This sounds like a keyboard issue so I would include details to that level in your report. Thank you.

Photoshop Family Customer Community