11 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2015 12:29 PM by A.T. Romano

Media Pending

philipmoor

Hi

Running version 11, on Windows 8.1

I've captured a load of old Hi8 video into Windows Movie maker - as .wmv files

I've loaded them onto a Premiere Timeline -and tried to Share as MPEG (or anything else).  The publishing errors.

So, I've followed a troubleshooter - and one of them suggests just doing a render first.#

When I do the render only, I get 'media pending' and no video.

If I do a split on the timeline it comes back - but then I do another render, and I get media pending again.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Media Pending
          A.T. Romano Level 7

philipmoor

What is the wording in the error messages that you get when you try to export your Timeline to MPEG? At what phase of the export, do you get the error message?

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 11. Are you running the programs as administrator?

What is your project preset for your Premiere Elements 11 running on Windows 8.1 (assumed 64 bit)?

Please see Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and tell us what you see for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if the fields look grayed out).

I am assuming that your videos are 720 x 480 or 640/480 at 29.97 frames per second. Please confirm, including interlaced or progressive footage.

1. Assure that your project preset is correct

NTSC DV Standard or its PAL counterpart if you are in a PAL project (if interlaced video)

We can go into the NTSC FLIP settings dependent on your details to come.

2. In Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG, set Presets = NTSC DVD Standard or its PAL counterpart if you are in a PAL project.

Have you been there and done all that? What else have you tried besides the MPEG?

Please do not hesitate to ask if questions or need clarification on the above.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Media Pending
            philipmoor Level 1

Hi

I think it's something like unknown error compiling movie.  I get the error after the render I think.

My quicktime is up to date

Programmes should be running as admin - I am the only user, and I am an Admin (I think).

640/480 at 30fps - not sure if interlaced or progressive (how do I know?)

How do I check project preset?  Frame rate for this is 25fps - which I would expect for PAL.

• 3. Re: Media Pending
              A.T. Romano Level 7

philipmoor

Thanks for the reply.

Could you clarify....what is the frame size and frame rate of the video.

After you import the video into the Expert workspace using Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets, what readings do you get when you right click the file's thumbnail in Project Assets and select and read the Properties?

Frame Size

Frame Rate

If you want the export as MPEG2.mpg @ 25 progressive frames per second, then look at

Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = HDTV 1080p25 High Quality, and then customize that preset to 640 x 480 @ 25 progressive frames per second under the Advanced Button of the 1080p25 preset. The following will give you an idea of the customized export settings that I have intended. Just refer to Video Tab fields settings...not the Summary since screenshot was prepared without media on the Timeline.

MPEG2Settings.JPG

Right now we need to focus on the import side and look at those Timeline contents properties. The above export side will be tried after the import properties are confirmed.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Media Pending
                philipmoor Level 1

Image size 640x480

Frame rate : 30.00

I'm not bothered what type of export - ideally MPEG - but anything will do.  I can't capture into anything other than .wmv - and I have a heap of Hi8 tapes.  Premiere wont capture it as it's not firewire.  I'm capturing via USB 2 into my laptop.

• 5. Re: Media Pending
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

philipmoor

Please verify....basically you have 640 x 480 @ 30 progressive frames per second as a .wmv video and you want to import that into a Premiere Elements Project. It is assumed that these files play back without issue in Windows Media Player?

Unless there is some special consideration that you have not mentioned, then the project preset should be one with a 29.97 project preset (NTSC) and not 25 (PAL).

When you import your .wmv into Premiere Elements with Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets, you are importing one file, that is, .wmv and not some .xml companion file? Right?

If you have not tried this already, please consider

1. Open a new project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

2. In Change Settings, set the project preset to

NTSC

FLIP

Flip Mino and Ultra 29_97p

OK out of there.

3. In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to Force Selected Project Setting on This Project. OK out of there.

4. Back in the Expert workspace, import your .wmv file into the project using the project's Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the file to the Timeline.

Does that work for you?

If those Media Pending message pop up...this often reflects that indexing is in progress. Do you see a progress bar with activity in the lower right part of the workspace? If you do, do you wait for the "indexing" to complete before you attempt to do anything in the project?

Also, determine if the problem exists with and without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled.

Have you tried changing the hard drive save location of the source before import into a new project? Please remind me where the files are being stored now.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Media Pending
                    philipmoor Level 1

Hi

Video is 640*480 30fps they play fine in windows media player.  They were created by Windows Movie Maker.  I wish to create an MPEG version, and an .avi to do further editing.

I followed your instructions, and it fails on 100% rendering media - with Error Compiling Movie, Unknown error.

When the Media Pending message was there yesterday, the software didn't seem to be doing anything else.

I will check the firewall & virus checker also.....the location of the files are locally on the C:\ drive on this laptop.

• 7. Re: Media Pending
                      philipmoor Level 1

OK - ran again with no virus /firewall - got the error compiling movie error.

• 8. Re: Media Pending
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

philipmoor

Thanks for the reply.

Is the project error now related to Compiling Error rather than Media Pending? Or are both still part of the issue?

What are your export settings for Windows Movie Maker...Save Movie/For Computer or something else? Does your version of Movie Maker offer export as .mp4 as well as .wmv? If so, what is the result when your import into Premiere Elements is the Windows Movie Maker .mp4 version instead of the .wmv version?

Please go through the Adobe documents related to troubleshooting Compiling Errors and determine if any of the suggestions work for you.

"Error compiling movie" during render or export

Expand and inspect your Timeline content for flaws.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 9. Re: Media Pending
                          philipmoor Level 1

It is now a compiling error when I follow your recent suggestions.  It was media pending before that, and compiling error previously (have a look back along this thread).

I'm not actually exporting from movie maker - just using it for capturing - it only does .wmv from memory.  There don't seem to be any settings at all.

I went through that document before I posted on the forum.

• 10. Re: Media Pending
                            philipmoor Level 1

OK - I have success.

I reloaded the .wmv files into Windows Movie Manager, and did an export to Mpeg.  This obviously adds an extra lengthy stage into the process - but the files are then fine in Premiere Elements.

What is the best capture software?  Is there any decent freeware?

Thanks

Phil

• 11. Re: Media Pending
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Phil

Thanks for the reply.

If you were doing DV data capture firewire into Windows Movie Maker, there is the likelihood that you were dealing with DV.avi type 1. I am not sure how you would have gotten a wmv capture from Windows Movie Maker. Premiere Elements is compatible only with DV.avi type 2. So this type 1 vs 2 could have been your issue. However, type 1 and 2 apply if your capture were DV.avi and not wmv. So that is a puzzlement right now. If you did get stuck with DV.avi type 1 in such a capture, you can easily convert them to type 2 in the free program named DVDate.

Homepage of DVdate

I just took at look at Windows Movie Maker capture details, and I believe I found your capture opportunities which would include

avi as well as wmv. And, you must have selected wmv. Avi is a good choice if you can work around any type 1 or 2 issues.

If you are doing DV data capture firewire, some recommend the free WinDV

http://windv.mourek.cz/

This seems to give you the choice between DV.avi type 1 and type 2.

If you are doing HDV data capture firewire, most prefer the free HDVSplit

http://www.videohelp.com/software/HDVSplit

Based on the above, WinDV with the DV.avi type 2 choice would seem the way to go for the DV data capture firewire.

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR