5 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2015 7:40 AM by Harbs.

Multiple locations, WAN connected offices and Adobe InDesign.

joshuaa32101125

We have two offices that use Adobe InDesign. The central server is located in location A. Location B uses the mapped drives from location A in order to do there work inside of InDesign. The connection between the two offices are VPN tunnels over the WAN. The users in location B are constantly complaining about speeds inside of Abode InDesign and what we are needing to find is if Adobe InDesign Server is like Revit server in the way that it will act as an accelerator/host relationship between the two locations or if we are barking up the wrong tree. And if I am correct in my assumption that InDesign does act in a manor of Host/Accelerator then what your that infrastructure look like?

• 1. Re: Multiple locations, WAN connected offices and Adobe InDesign.
          Harbs. Level 6

I have to confess that I had to look up Revit to know what you are talking about, and I'm still not sure. But, I can tell you that InDesign Server is simply a headless version of InDesign with some additional interfaces. Any network problems will not be solved by InDesign Server and if your users are InDesign users, InDesign Server is probably not going to help at all. There's no way to interact with InDesign Server other than scripting.

You don't say how much is shared between the two locations. Are users in Location B using an InDesign installation on a network or local drive? InDesign should definitely be installed locally. You might see improvements if you have the files duplicated in both locations as well.

• 2. Re: Multiple locations, WAN connected offices and Adobe InDesign.
            joshuaa32101125 Level 1

As far as the size of files the average seems to be in the 25MB range, but it seems to be the linked files that seem to be slowing production down. (Please forgive me if I'm butchering the terminology, InDesign is new to me.) The two offices share one file server at location A and location B is mapped to that. DFS or replication is not a good option as the offices want to work near seamlessly and if we go with Windows DFS we are worried about file versioning and file locks. Just from a file server perspective it is problematic. We are in the process of testing Windows branchcache and/or riverbed type solutions.

• 3. Re: Multiple locations, WAN connected offices and Adobe InDesign.
              Harbs. Level 6

Yes. That makes sense. You don't really want to be linking files which have a high latency. InDesign needs to read the files to create previews. Once the preview is created, this shouldn't be a major issue, but if there's a lot of files, InDesign might take a long time opening files, because it checks that the files exist and have not been modified.

I'm not really an IT guy, so I'm not familiar with the intricacies of network drive technologies, but on a small scale, I use Dropbox very successfully. Here's the points which make it work well:

1) All file changes are mirrored onto local drives for all users.

2) If there's a conflict (i.e. both users access a file at the same time), it makes a duplicate (xx's conflicting copy). This is important for conflict resolution.

3) InDesign writes a lock file when an InDesign document is open, and other instances of InDesign will not try to open that file until it's let go.

4) Lock files are synced along with all other files, so locking works across users.

I'm guessing simply using Dropbox is not an option for you, but you can employ the same tactics.

HTH,

Harbs

• 4. Re: Multiple locations, WAN connected offices and Adobe InDesign.
                joshuaa32101125 Level 1

Unfortunately Dropbox would not be for logistic and fiscal reasoning. But I do appreciate the assistance and help! If you come up with any more ideas I am more than happy to hear them!

• 5. Re: Multiple locations, WAN connected offices and Adobe InDesign.
                  Harbs. Level 6

My point was more that you should employ the file duplication in the same way.