12 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2015 7:20 AM by A.T. Romano

Why are some still clips upside down in timeline PRE 13?

svmail726@gmail.com

I am able to place all my photos into elements organizer 13 and create a slideshow in element 13 but when I use the same photos in premiere elements 13 many of them come in to the timeline upside down.

• 1. Re: Why are some still clips upside down in timeline PRE 13?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

svmail726

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 13 running? Have you updated 13 to the 13.1 Update yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates? If not, please do that.

What camera recorded these photos - cell phone camera or other? What is the orientation of these photos when viewed in their hard drive save location - same as Elements Organizer - OK? What are the pixel dimensions of the photos? How many photos involved?

Are you working in the Expert workspace or Quick workspace? How many photos on the Timeline or in the Filmstrip when the photos go upside down?

Do all upside down photos always present as upside down? Or can they import OK and others that were OK are then upside down? Does it matter if you have 1 or 500 photos involved - will an upside down photo always be an upside down photo in the Premiere Elements 13 workspace?

Let us start here, and then, based on the details in your reply, we will decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Why are some still clips upside down in timeline PRE 13?
            svmail726@gmail.com Level 1

I have a MacBook Pro Mid 2014, 2.5 GHz,  intel Core i7, 16 gb memory.  I

was on the CHAT yesterday and we  installed the update 13.1.

Most of the photos were taken with Samsung phones and some with a sony

camera. The orientation is save on computer same as organizer.  They are 72

resolution with 3264 x 2448 and higher.  I have a few that are 1920 x?

I am starting with about 30 photos and a .mov movie to start.  Once I find

if there is a way to batch fix my photos I will be making several home

slideshows.

I am working in the Expert workspace.  I just grab 10 - 15 photos for my

testing.  Most are upside down in Premiere Elements but are fine in

Elements.

It looks to me that the photos will always be upside down no matter if I

bring in 1 or 100.  I found if I bring a photo into Photoshop and change it

to 200 resolution and 1000 pixels X ? then save as I can the bring them

into the organizer and into Premiere Elements but I would eventually have

to do that with hundreds of photos.

Sam

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 5:45 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 3. Re: Why are some still clips upside down in timeline PRE 13?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

svmail726

Thanks for the reply.

Have you found a correlation between upside down and cell phone recording. If so, in the future you might want to hold the phone's camera in a different orientation while recording your video.

But in the meantime, you should be able to batch rotate the upside photos on the Premiere Elements Expert workspace Timeline.

Import your photos to the Timeline.

Rotate the first photo from upside to the correct orientation, using either

a. right click the first photo and select Rotate 90 Left; then right click the first photo again and select Rotate 90 Left.

or

b. select the first photo, go to Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded and use the Rotation slider there to rotate the upside down photo to the orientation that you want.

Select the first photo (now correctly oriented), go to Edit Menu/Copy. Then select all the photos whose rotation you want to correct, Edit Menu/Paste Effects and Adjustments. Depending on the circumstances, select all by

a. Edit Menu/Select All

or

b. With the mouse cursor, draw a rectangle around the wanted clips to select them

Any questions or need clarification, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Why are some still clips upside down in timeline PRE 13?

Thank you so much for the help.  I can batch the photos as you explained

and change the way I create the photos to begin with. BUT Why does the the

Organizer work fine with Elements and not with Premiere Elements.  In

Organizer I can sort by album order  and from Organizer or Elements I can

create a slideshow in correct sequence, but when I close organizer and go

to Premiere Elements I am not able to keep the same photo albums in order.

In fact I do not see how I can sort within premiere elements.

Thanks again for your considerations

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 6:54 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 5. Re: Why are some still clips upside down in timeline PRE 13?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

svmail

Thanks for the reply.

Please try the following and then let me know if it worked for you getting your Elements Organizer 13/13.1 Album contents into Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Editor in the Album Order.

1. Create and name your Album in Elements Organizer 13/13.1. Close out of there.

2. Open Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and used Add Media/Elements Organizer/ and click on your Album's name, select the items in the Album that you want, and then click on Add Files.

3. The photos should appear on the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Editor Timeline in the Album Order.

EOSortBy.JPG

Please let me know if that worked for you.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Why are some still clips upside down in timeline PRE 13?

I closed all the applications.  I then opened organizer created a new album

called TEST I pulled 10 photos from my catalog and sorted by album number.

I closed Organizer 13.1 and opened PRE13.1 went to add media and moved TEST

album to the timeline.  When they came in they were in oldest first order

not album number.  The way I checked that was to open both Organizer and

PRE side by side and checked each Sort by: order in the organizer to see

which one matched the timeline.

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 9:29 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 7. Re: Why are some still clips upside down in timeline PRE 13?

I just found that if I open Organizer and PR13 side by side I can highlight TEST album that is sorted in album number and drag to the PR13 timeline and it will stay in the correct sorted order. BUT although it is a work around I should not have to do that.

• 8. Re: Why are some still clips upside down in timeline PRE 13?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

svmail

Thanks for the reply. Could you verify to make sure I am in sync with what you seek.

It is my understanding, when you use Sort By: Album Order, that applies to the order in which you place the photos in one named Album. Please refer to my screenshot details in post 5. And, it does not mean Album (main) going to order necessarily a photo coming from Album 4 after a photo from Album 3 and before a photo coming from Album 5.

So, what did you do? What specific names did you give the files in the Album that you took into Premiere Elements using Add Media/Elements Organizer pointing to that Album? And, how did you have them order when you last saw them in the Elements Organizer workspace before you went to Premiere Elements Editor Add Media/Elements Organizer and the Album (main)?

I am heading back to Elements Organizer 13 to look at some scenarios.

To be continued....

ATR

• 9. Re: Why are some still clips upside down in timeline PRE 13?

I opened Organizer I have one catalog and several albums I then created a new album called "Test album" I then went to the album Vietnam and chose 10 random photos and placed them into Test Album.  In Test Album I can sort by earliest, oldest, Import batch, name or album order.  I sorted by album order which places a number in the upper left corner. You can then move the photos around and the number in the corner changes accordingly.  I quit organizer opened PRE13 and went directly to ADD MEDIA, chose organizer which showed me  all the albums I had previously created including "Test Album" what I see is the 10 photos but they are now sorted by "oldest" not "album order".

I hope that explains it better.

SAM

• 10. Re: Why are some still clips upside down in timeline PRE 13?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

svmail

Thanks for the reply. I decided to make the selection of photos for the Elements Organizer Album more "diverse". So, I went into my computer and imported 4 different files (1 video, 3 stills into the Elements Organizer 13/13.1.

11/24/2007 5:51 PM......................CIMC0622.AVI........designated 1

12/25/2008 12:03 PM...................CIMC2674.JPG......designated 2

4/5/2009 12:05 PM.......................CIMC5526.JPG......designated 3

4/5/2010 11:58 AM.......................CIMC2596.JPG......designated 4

I created an Album in the Elements Organizer, named it "By The Year". Set for Sort By: Album Order. And, moved the files around in the Album so that

the order in the Album was

Closed Out of the Elements Organizer.

Plan One....

Opened the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 to its Expert workspace and selected Add Media/Elements Organizer and then the Album named By The Year.

one by one select the photos that you want to arrive in the Timeline in the wanted order....the order of selection of the photos is critical. So, first click on 3 to select it, then 2, then 4, and then 1, and then click Add Files. Those files will arrive on the Timeline in the order that you selected them (3, 2, 4, 1).

Plan Two....

In the Elements Organizer 13/13.1, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Keyword Tags and Albums, and have a "dot" for Manual for Album Categories and also Album. Please do this for now. Close Out of there.

Have the Elements Organizer thumbnails sorted as in the Album as wanted...the Sort By = Album Order. Select all the thumbnails wanted (check mark on teach thumbnail wanted). Right click on any one of the selected thumbnails and select "Edit with Premiere Elements Editor". The files should arrive on the Timeline in the order in the Album 3, 2, 4, 1 in this example. In the example that I tried, the order of selecting the thumbnails did not seem critical.

Please review and consider and then let me know if any of all of that worked for you. I road tested it several times, and each time it worked for me.

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Why are some still clips upside down in timeline PRE 13?

Good Morning,

I tried "Plan 1" and it worked but if I wanted to work with a couple dozen photos that would be cumbersome.  On the other hand "Plan 2" seemed to work pretty well. I created several new albums selected different photos reordered them while in the organizer and went to Organizer>Edit>Edit with Premiere Elements Editor which took it to Premiere Elements and dropped into the timeline in the order that I wanted as shown in the Organizer.

So I have found out why my photos are coming in upside down and have found a way to deal with that issue. I have also found a way to bring in photos from the organizer in the order that they should be in. I thank you very much, I could not have done this without your help.

My final question is directed to Adobe. Why can't Adobe do something to make sure everyones photos come into the Organizer right side up all the time. At Least the still photos.  I don't expect answer from that question I would expect an updated to the program in the future.

Thanks again. I did not expect the quickness of your responses it was great.  I was ready to throw the Elements and Premiere out the window.

Regards

Sam

• 12. Re: Why are some still clips upside down in timeline PRE 13?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Sam

Wonderful news. Thanks for letting us know the outcome. Great job in not giving up and gaining success.

As for Adobe, the frequency of the Adobe presence in this forum is undefined. You might want to consider filing one of those Adobe Feature Request Bug Report Forms. In the process, you are not likely to get an individual or any immediate reply. But, according to a description of the form, someone at Adobe does review it.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

And, you have commented here on the matter. So, in the likelihood that someone at Adobe is reviewing the forum comments, you are covered at both places.

Best wishes

ATR