2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2007 1:00 PM by Matthew_Soldo

Embedding multiple images referenced in XML file

Matthew_Soldo
      Hi Flex Community,
      I'm having trouble with this one. I have an xml file that looks like this (although it could be much longer):
      <frames>
      <frame id="1">
      <source>goldframe72.gif</source>
      <name>Wedding Frame</name>
      <border>72</border>
      <url>www.framr.com/goldframe72.gif</url>
      </frame>
      <frame id="2">
      <source>honeymetro50.gif</source>
      <name>Metro Honey</name>
      <border>50</border>
      </frame>
      <frame id="3">
      <source>woodberry_black_67.gif</source>
      <name>Woodberry Black</name>
      <border>67</border>
      </frame>
      </frames>

I had been manually embedding the images as follows:
      [Embed(source="honeymetro50.gif")]
      [Bindable]
      public var honeyFrame:Class;

But know I would like to programatically loop through the xml file and embed each of the images and then reference them in an array (or something similar). The end goal is that I have a single mxImage tag whose source loops through each of the images when a button is pressed. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
      Matthew Soldo
        • 1. Re: Embedding multiple images referenced in XML file
          mac_martine Level 1
          Since the XML won't be loaded until runtime, you can't embed the images. You can only embed assets that are known at compile time. You'll want mx:Loader for this.
          • 2. Re: Embedding multiple images referenced in XML file
            Matthew_Soldo Level 1
            Thanks for the help.

I tried out using mx:Loader and that worked well, however when doing it this way the images can't be scaled with scale-9, since scale-9 only works with embedded images.

Is there a way to achieve this if the xml is available at compile time? My goal is to have the a large number (50-100) images emedded programatically such that I can easily make them visible or invisible when a button is pressed (a next image button) and the images must be scalable via scale-9.

The manual way to do this that I can think of would be to manually embed each one in the code, load the bindable id's of each image into an array, and then have a function which changes the source of an mx:Image to the next item in the array. This function can be called when the button is pushed.... Is there an easier way???