9 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2015 10:46 AM by A.T. Romano

I can't drag clips along the timeline

Chris Stanbury

I'm sometimes blocked from dragging clips along the timeline in Adobe Premiere Elements 12

I get a small black circle with a diagonal line (prohibited type sign) - if I then delete some clips I can often (but not always) drag the ones that wouldn't drag earlier.  I'm not trying to drag them beyond the confines of the timeline.

• 1. Re: I can't drag clips along the timeline
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Chris Stanbury

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running? Have you updated 12 to 12.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates.

If not, please do that.

Since you mention Timeline, I am assuming that you are working in the Expert workspace of the program. Is that correct?

Does the problem exist if you open a new project? Does this problem exist in all your projects or just this one? Have you done before what you are doing now but before it worked?

When the problem exists, what is the total duration of the Timeline content? Is there content above and below the problem area?

You wrote

I'm not trying to drag them beyond the confines of the timeline.

But, are you trying to drag a clip into another?

Please review and consider, and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: I can't drag clips along the timeline
            Chris Stanbury Level 1

Running 12.1 on Windows 7 Professional (64 bit)

Yes, running in Expert mode

It has worked before and works in a new project.

I think the length of the project may be the issue.  The project currently contains nearly 24 hours of footage.

When I delete some of the footage I can then sometimes move some of the clips (but not always).  I can often move short clips but not long ones.

The strange thing is that I can't even move them within the existing length of the timeline.  Even keeping the clip in the same track does not work.

I'm assuming there is a maximum length of 24 hours for a project.

My intention was to work my way through the clips, deleting all but the final content.  Thereby reducing the length of the final movie down to 30-60 minutes.

Chris

• 3. Re: I can't drag clips along the timeline
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Chris

Thanks for the reply.

A Premiere Elements Timeline workspace (version 10 and earlier) or Expert workspace (versions 11, 12, 13) will not accept any more files once the total duration of the Timeline is 23 - 24 hours. I have actually determined this first hand. Based on my observations, do not try for this 23 -24 hours total project duration in the Sceneline workspace or  Quick workspace.

So, if you cannot move clips when you are at or nearing Timeline total duration 23 hours, that is the major reason for your Timeline files behavior.

This size of project is highly dependent on computer resources. It was interesting to learn that this project workflow worked for you before - especially the export phase. In the projects that worked before, how many stayed below the 23 hours total duration for the Timeline content?

Looking forward to learning of your progress and further comments as your schedule permits.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: I can't drag clips along the timeline
                Chris Stanbury Level 1

This is the only project with this much data - all others have only been a few hours at most.

I will just keep the content below 23 hours - thank you for your help

Chris

• 5. Re: I can't drag clips along the timeline
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Chris

Thanks for the follow up.

As your time permits, I would be interested in learning the outcome of that export with the Timeline of almost 23 hours. Although I did a hands on determination of the max Expert workspace Timeline duration, I never attempted to take that Timeline to export.

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: I can't drag clips along the timeline
                    Chris Stanbury Level 1

It will only be 30-60 minutes by the time I export it

• 7. Re: I can't drag clips along the timeline
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Chris

Sounding better.

Are the amount of source media files in Project Assets creating any problems in the Timeline performance? Or are the Project Assets files eliminated as the Timeline content is decreased from 23 hours downward?

ATR

• 8. Re: I can't drag clips along the timeline
                        Chris Stanbury Level 1

Hi,

I don't think they are causing problems.  I'm not removing the assets after using them in the timeline.  I'm placing a cut either side of the section I want to keep and then deleting the remaining sections from the timeline but leaving the asset in the Project Assets. I'm not sure if that answers your question.

Chris

• 9. Re: I can't drag clips along the timeline
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Chris

Thanks for the further information about your workflow.

As you already know, you cannot remove the source media in Project Assets otherwise you will lose the trimmed Timeline content to which they refer.

If you are not having any problems in performance with pile ups or source media management in Project Assets and all is OK otherwise, then not a problem. If problems, I might consider working a larger project in smaller projects and then combining the output from each of the smaller projects into one grand project for the final export.

But, as they say, do not mess with a good thing if all is now OK.

Best wishes

ATR