5 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2015 9:42 AM by SAFEHARBOR11

New PC spec

gordonl60389893 Level 1

I need a faster and better PC for PP. I'm not v. technically minded - how would this spec do?

Acer Predator G3-605 Desktop PC, Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2TB + 64GB SSD, Blu-ray?

My current spec is AMD Phenom 2.6 Ghz, 6 GB memory, I terra hard disk (plus usb drives), and ATI Radeon HD 5450, 3839 MB, Dedicated 1024 MB. Any advice appreciated.

• 2. Re: New PC spec
          gordonl60389893 Level 1

Thanks John - alas too much technical stuff for me to take in, but the link is appreciated.

• 3. Re: New PC spec
            SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Probably not bad for a budget machine. You want the Intel Core i7 for Premiere, 16GB RAM is good, SSD good. Make sure you get a GeForce display card, I see some configurations do have the GTX 760 which would be fine for Premiere. One add-on that you might have to do yourself is to add a dedicated, fast storage drive for video. You could add an internal SATA drive such as 2TB SATA, 7200rpm, 64mb cache (WD Caviar Black or Seagate Barracuda come to mind). Avoid "green" drives which favor economy over performance. Or could use a fast USB 3.0 external instead. G-Tech has some nice units meant for video such as G-Drive or G-RAID for example.

Of course, you could always get a turn-key PC edit workstation system from an Adobe-approved system builder such as Safe Harbor, ADK or others ;-)

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

www.sharbor.com

• 4. Re: New PC spec
              gordonl60389893 Level 1

Thank you Jeff.

Very helpful.

I've taken a look at www.sharbor.com and ADK but I'm in the UK so I guess that's a no go. I guess I should have spotted the variant (and admittedly more straightforward!) spelling of Harbour...  I would ideally like to commission from a friendly company I could actually talk to and who could offer advice so I'll take a look for a sharbor type service in the UK.

• 5. Re: New PC spec
                SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

Sorry about the spelling...and I also drove on the wrong side of the road coming to work this morning ;-)

Cheers,

Jeff