14 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2015 5:46 PM by A.T. Romano

Mix Audio not working in PE4. Doesn't insert keyframes.

jbcooke

My inclination is to uninstall and reinstall Premiere Elements. Need to work on video this morning. Will check forum later, before reintalling. In 7 years of using PE4 I've never had this problem. Anyone?

• 1. Re: Mix Audio not working in PE4. Doesn't insert keyframes.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

jbcooke

Hold off on the uninstall reinstall for the time being. Sometimes the original issue is replaced by a uninstall reinstall issue for some of the older versions. In case of an emergency, you can also keyframe the volume without the Audio Mixer.

1. On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 4 installed?

2. Assuming Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, please delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file found in the path

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 4.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 4.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the complete path given.

Does the problem exist if you start a new project?

Does the Audio Mixer not work for all or just one audio track?

Please review and consider, and then let us know the outcome to determine if we have enough time to troubleshoot before your due time.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Mix Audio not working in PE4. Doesn't insert keyframes.
            jbcooke Level 1

Good ideas, good questions. Answers:

1. OS is Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

2. I deleted first the Adobe Premiere Elements Pref file, retested PE4 on the current project, Mix Audio still doesn't work. Deleted 4.0 folder. Still doesn't work.Closed PE4 between tests.

Mixer fails to work on all audio channels (I tested Audio 1 and Audio 3, where I have track elements) in the current project.

Manually inserting and adjusting keyframes is not an option in this 90-minute video project with many audio elements. I need Mix Audio to work; when it does, it is simplicity itself.

However -- If I open a new project, Mix Audio DOES WORK in that project. I hope this tells you something useful.

thanks,

jbcooke

• 3. Re: Mix Audio not working in PE4. Doesn't insert keyframes.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

jbcooke

Thanks for looking at the troubleshooting suggestions.

Good news and bad news that the Audio Mixer works in a new project but not in the current one.

When you say that the Audio Mixer does not work, that is the bottom line. How doesn't it work....

a. after you stop the playback and close the Audio Mixer, you do not see Timeline volume keyframes (white dots) and can you hear the volume changes that you made when you do the Edit area playback of the audio that was just adjusted with the Audio Mixer?

b. was there no activity in the vertical bars which should be showing volume levels?

If you switch to the Sceneline workspace from the Timeline workspace, does the Audio Mixer work from there?

Do you remember what was the last audio activity that you did in the current project before the problem hit? I am wondering if deleting and reinstalling such a file in Timeline or Sceneline would trigger the Audio Mixer fix?

Program uninstall/ccleaner/uninstall would be a good choice if more than this one project were involved. But, I feel that the call is a tough one when deciding between the potential problems of an uninstall/reinstall and having to start a new project.

What about the idea of archiving this current project (File Menu/Project Archiver/ Copy Option) and working from the saved Copied Folder from this process. The Copied Folder will contain a copy of the project file plus copies of all the source media for the project. You open the Copied Folder, right click the project.prel file, select Open With, followed by Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0. Then see if the Audio Mixer functions in that copied project.prel which is surrounded by its source media in the Copied Folder.

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Mix Audio not working in PE4. Doesn't insert keyframes.
                jbcooke Level 1

Thanks for latest.

Sense in which Mix Audio doesn't work is failure to put keyframes in track I'm mixing. When I stop playback and close the mixer, can't see keyframes, can't hear the volume adjustments I made.

Virtual mixer works fine: Green vertical bars indicate current volume, adjusting slider causes vertical bar to decrease or increase as usual.

I did try mixing in both Sceneline and Timeline; will retest these operations.

Re further options you offer -- I can delete the track elements in the area where I was working when the Mix Audio problem occurred. Hard to remember when I last mixed audio successfully,

but I could progressively delete all audio elements and replace to see if this would fix the problem. This probably wouldn't take much more than an hour.

Since I have reinstalled PE4 successfully a number of times, including a few months a go due to hard drive replacement, I'm inclined to try this next, before I try archiving the current project

and working from the saved Copied Folder.

I'll report back on further tests, track element replacements, etc.

thanks

jbcooke

• 5. Re: Mix Audio not working in PE4. Doesn't insert keyframes.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

jbcooke

Thanks for the update.

We will be watching for your progress as your schedule permits.

Just in case note...probably not necessary if you cannot hear the volume changes as well....but does the title bar of the audio track on the Timeline show Volume:ClipVolume (if it does not, that would cover the absence of the white dots on the audio track rubberband side of things).

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks again for the follow ups.

ATR

• 6. Re: Mix Audio not working in PE4. Doesn't insert keyframes.
                    jbcooke Level 1

Working on audio this morning, I realized it wouldn't be difficult to remove all audio elements, create new WAV files to import (from original audio materials - I create audio elements in Audacity), and

replace all the newly-created WAV files in the project. If a glitch in an audio file is causing the Mix Audio problem, this should fix it.

I will look for "Volume:ClipVolume" in the track(s) in the Timeline.

Also thinking that archiving the project, as you suggest, and opening it from the saved Copied Folder wouldn't take too long. If I don't find a solution sooner, I may try this before resorting to

uninstall-reinstall of PE.

thanks,

jbcooke

• 7. Re: Mix Audio not working in PE4. Doesn't insert keyframes.
                      jbcooke Level 1

NEW INFORMATION -- Yes, all the audio track elements in the project say "Volume:ClipVolume" at the head of the track, following the filename.

Track elements on which I successfully adjusted the volume still show and play those adjustments, but it is not possible to adjust them further using Mix Audio.

Later today, or no later than tomorrow morning, I'll check the dates of all the track files that were successfully adjusted. When I find the last one to be

successfully adjusted, I'll delete and replace that track element to see if this triggers a fix to the problem, as ATR suggested in his 5/21 5:58pm post.

jbcooke

• 8. Re: Mix Audio not working in PE4. Doesn't insert keyframes.
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

jbcooke

Thanks for the update.

I will be visiting here as usual during the holiday weekend, and I will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Mix Audio not working in PE4. Doesn't insert keyframes.
                          jbcooke Level 1

Big disappointment -- I located and deleted the last audio file on which I successfully adjusted the volume with Mix Audio. Deleted clip from the Timeline,

deleted the *.wav file from the Project. Created a new *.wav file, imported it into PE4, placed it in the Timeline. As before with this problem, Mix Audio mixer works

normally, adjusting volume as the project runs, but when project is stopped, no keyframes are inserted in the audio file in the Timeline, no adjustments are saved.

I tried running the video and mixing audio in both Sceneline and Timeline. Problem still not solved.

jbcooke

• 10. Re: Mix Audio not working in PE4. Doesn't insert keyframes.
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

jbcooke

Terrible news.

I have been discussing muting whole audio tracks with wardv in another thread and thought that I had a great troubleshooting scheme for you. It turned out to be a dud.

a. Go to the Sceneline workspace and click on the "Change Track Volume" icon to the left of SoundTrack, Narration Track, or Video (represents Audio Track 1). Make sure that the Volume slider is muting one of these audio tracks.

b. Go back to Timeline workspace, and try to use the Audio Mixer again for the audio track involved.

Well....back in the TImeline workspace, the volume of the audio track remained muted no matter how I move the volume slider in the Audio Mixer. So far so good. But, when I stopped the playback of the Timeline's content and closed Audio Mixer, the volume keyframes were place in spite of the now sound there. So much for the Scenellne workspace volume sliders being involved in this Audio Mixer issue.

What do you have left in the troubleshooting plans? Time for uninstall/free ccleaner run through/reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

I need to think about this some more to determine what else we can do.

Thanks for the follow ups. Keeping a positive thought about success here.

ATR

• 11. Re: Mix Audio not working in PE4. Doesn't insert keyframes.
                              jbcooke Level 1

ATR

I've got some more information --

Today I removed from the project the last two audio track elements in which I successfully adjusted levels using Mix Audio. (Other adjusted track elements are more than a year old.)

I saved the project without the deleted elements, closed PE4, and even shut down my computer, so no parts of PE4 would remain in memory. Rebooted, started up PE4, created new

*.wav files for the two audio elements, imported them into PE4, put them in place . . .  Mix Audio still doesn't work. Then, to see if this problem affects other projects . . .

I opened various existing projects in PE. I found that Mix Audio DOES work in many older, finished projects. I was beginning to think the problem was limited to the

current project, and I was beginning to think it was time to try your suggestion of Archiving the project using Copy Project (so it copies all the media in the Project

view). . but then I found one old project in which Mix Audio does NOT work. So much for simple solutions. This discovery also means that the type of project -- the medium of the original

video -- isn't a factor. Most of my video projects, including the 90-minute current project, are from 8mm and 16mm film I shot long ago, professionally digitized and imported into Premiere

Elements. All this film was silent, so for these projects I construct sound tracks from scratch, using music, some narration, voice-over from other people, and, in some cases, wild sound

I recorded at the time of the original film shoots. However, the other old project in which Mix Audio doesn't work is one I shot in video (iPhone, actually) and in which I'm using the original

sound as well as a 2nd track of 3rd party music.

I'm pondering what to do next. I still might try Archiving the project to see what happens when I open it as a new project from the Copied Folder, as you suggested. If I do this and Mix

Audio still doesn't work in the "new" project, I've still got the project in its original form too, right? I could then delete the Copied Folder and return to the original? (I have adequate external hard

drive space for this test.)

I've also wondered if upgrading to a later version of Premiere Elements might solve the issue once and for all. I'm still using PE4 because it does everything I need it to do and I'm thoroughly

familiar with it. I wouldn't like to go through much of a learning curve on a new version or lose any present capabilities.

I've got one more day -- tomorrow -- to try something else. Then I'm away from home for a week.

Thanks for the encouragement and ideas.

jbcooke

• 12. Re: Mix Audio not working in PE4. Doesn't insert keyframes.
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

jbcooke

Let us see what project archiving does to this issue and how many projects can be saved using that escape.

But, another matter to explore...there is a known issue, seems to be targeting some with Premiere Elements 12/12.1. The syndrome is the loss of sound from unnumbered audio tracks and soundtracks when narration (created with project's Narration Tool) is added to the project. It may be a stretch but any chance your narration clips are creating this Audio Mixer situation in Premiere Elements 4?

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Audio Losses After Narration Addition

We will be watching for the results from your remaining test plan.

As always, thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 13. Re: Mix Audio not working in PE4. Doesn't insert keyframes.
                                  jbcooke Level 1

ATR

I appreciate every idea about the possible cause of the problem, but this one doesn't apply. I have never added narration directly to PE4 using the Narration Tool. I create *all*

audio elements externally in Audacity, third-party audio program, and bring them into PE4 as *.wav files. And, of course, my problem isn't tracks falling silent. All tracks in this

and the other affected project have sound that plays normally when the picture runs. They all respond normally as I attempt to Mix Audio. That is, I can hear the level rising and falling

as I use the sliders in Mix Audio. The green columns go up and down, the audible sound goes up and down, but when I stop and close Mix Audio, no keyframes are inserted

in the tracks, no level changes are preserved. Sigh.

Thanks,

jbcooke

• 14. Re: Mix Audio not working in PE4. Doesn't insert keyframes.
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

jbcooke

Back to the drawing board.

I will think about this some more.

ATR