10 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2015 11:07 AM by Steve 123

Nvidia GTX850M and LR6

Steve 123

I have an Asus N550JK (Laptop)  with 12GB of install memory. This system also has a Nvidia GTX 850M graphics processor in addition to the Intel 4600.

LR6 (stand alone edition) is considerably slower than LR5 even with the graphics processor option invoked.

Invoking the accelerator option in LR6 preferences only sees the slower 4600 processor.

LR6 will not recognize the higher end processor (Nvidia) even though I have disabled the Intel 4600 adapter and/or told Nvidia through it's control panel to use their processor.

CS6 (released 3+ years ago recognizes my faster Nvidia processor  (through the executable -sniffer_gpu.exe). Perfect PhotoSuite 9.5 also see the Nvidia processor.

I have seen it suggestions that I turn off the Intel 4600 graphics processor through a BIOS change at start-up, but am reluctant to do so.

Certainly I am not unique in this problem.

Any suggestions.

Has Adobe sold users a lot of false expectations.

• 1. Re: Nvidia GTX850M and LR6
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Go to:

Edit >> Preferences >>  Performance

Then disable GPU acceleration.

For Windows you should go to the website of the manufacturer of your graphics processor and check for driver updates. After updating you could try switching GPU acceleration on again, otherwise leave it disabled.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-gpu-faq.html

If your expectations are realized LR6 may be premature!

• 2. Re: Nvidia GTX850M and LR6
            Steve 123 Level 1

Thanks, but I think this is a lame response.

A. Why should I have to disable a graphics processor  to achieve LR5 performance when the suggested speed benefits of its use is the reason I upgraded LR6. ?

B.  Yes, of course  the first thing that I checked were that the driver(s) were up to date.

Check various forums and Adobe products seem to be behind the curve in graphic support.

So why introduce a product that's half tested as 6.01 will attest.

• 3. Re: Nvidia GTX850M and LR6
              Tanja2014 Level 2

i bet you won´t see speed improvements anyway.. don´t be fooled by adobes advertising.

i have a 2560x1600 pixel display and a 980 GTX.

i thought GPU support would speed up scrolling through the library or the response time in the develop module.

i was shocked to see that it actually slowed down some features

noise reduction for example is applied a few seconds AFTER the image is displayed.

GPU suppott in LR6 is SNAKEOIL for 80-90% of the users i bet.

take the time and search this forum for GPU threads... you will find nothing but disappointment.

maybe when you have a really old system and a 4K display + a new graphic card it makes sense to use GPU support.

i have it disabled.

so how much of the critic i have to remove that this post is approved by the moderators?

wait i will ask at petapixel and other websites how to voice my opinion so that it will be accepted by adobe mods......

• 4. Re: Nvidia GTX850M and LR6
                99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi Steve

I’m just another user like you, who volunteers my time spent in the Adobe forums trying to help others. But I fully understand what you are saying. It seems, at this point in time the biggest gainers are those using retina displays or 4k and 5k monitors. Why not take a look at the comments of Adobe Engineer, Eric Chan. 

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1828580

• 5. Re: Nvidia GTX850M and LR6
                  BKKDon Level 4

A. Why should I have to disable a graphics processor  to achieve LR5 performance when the suggested speed benefits of its use is the reason I upgraded LR6. ?

B.  Yes, of course  the first thing that I checked were that the driver(s) were up to date.

Check various forums and Adobe products seem to be behind the curve in graphic support.

Hi,

The last bit about being behind in support is probably not quite true because if you have more than one GPU you need to tell the operating system which GPU to assign for an application if you want to use other than the default Graphics Processor which will be the Integrated Graphics HD 4600 in this case and you don't have to disable  any GPU. How you do that is by assigning it in the NVIDIA Control Panel:

1: Right click on the Icon and select "Run with graphics processor" > "Change default graphics processor" which will invoke the NVIVIA Control Panel Manage 3D Settings panel.

2. Add the Executable you want to use the NVIDIA GPU, in this case Lightroom.

3. Then select the preferred graphics processor for the executable, in this case "High-Performance NVIDIA Processor"

NVIDIA Control Panel.jpg

Note that I had to do this for even CS6, PPS 9.5, Capture One Pro etc.  They are all the same.

• 6. Re: Nvidia GTX850M and LR6
                    Tanja2014 Level 2

BKKDon schrieb:

Hi,

The last bit about being behind in support is probably not quite true because if you have more than one GPU you need to tell the operating system which GPU to assign for an application if you want to use other than the default Graphics Processor which will be the Integrated Graphics HD 4600 in this case and you don't have to disable  any GPU. How you do that is by assigning it in the NVIDIA Control Panel:

1: Right click on the Icon and select "Run with graphics processor" > "Change default graphics processor" which will invoke the NVIVIA Control Panel Manage 3D Settings panel.

2. Add the Executable you want to use the NVIDIA GPU, in this case Lightroom.

3. Then select the preferred graphics processor for the executable, in this case "High-Performance NVIDIA Processor"

NVIDIA Control Panel.jpg

Note that I had to do this for even CS6, PPS 9.5, Capture One Pro etc.  They are all the same.

to quote the topic starter : LR6 will not recognize the higher end processor (Nvidia) even though I have disabled the Intel 4600 adapter and/or told Nvidia through it's control panel to use their processor.

• 7. Re: Nvidia GTX850M and LR6
                      BKKDon Level 4

Tanja2014 wrote:

to quote the topic starter : LR6 will not recognize the higher end processor (Nvidia) even though I have disabled the Intel 4600 adapter and/or told Nvidia through it's control panel to use their processor.

Well that may mean there is some other hardware conflict because in my case, HD 4600 & NVIDIA GT745M it works fine.

• 8. Re: Nvidia GTX850M and LR6
                        Steve 123 Level 1

Thanks Tamja2014.. I didn't see any conflict... black,green,red or blue conflicts through my device manager

• 9. Re: Nvidia GTX850M and LR6
                          Steve 123 Level 1

Good idea thanks 99jon but I am sure he has had enough already.

Classic confrontation between marketing and engineers... Guess who won.

LR6 was not Beta tested and probably  flogged by marketing, to keep revenue stream for C(redit) C(card) users and those who preferred to own their software, against the wishes of the engineers who said we can't deliver except to 4K screens.

Shameless Adobe who will only increase third party alternatives.

• 10. Re: Nvidia GTX850M and LR6
                            Steve 123 Level 1

Thanks BKKDon .. as noted by Tanja2014 I tried this before I wrote my first post.

CS6 and PS9.5.... not problem LR6 can't use the GTX850 processor !