21 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2015 9:41 PM by A.T. Romano

CAn anyone tell me why Garbage matte renders in the wrong place even though it looks perfect on timeline?

4anue

I'm using PE 11, shooting in front of a blue screen, and I layered my avi on track 3 so I could layer my TV studio backdrop on track 2.  The intention is to make it look as though I'm hosting a show filmed in a TV studio.

I've tried several times to use 4 pt and 8 pt garbage matte along with Blue key to to get rid of background but after 10 different tests, removing this or that, moving this or that, rebooting, closing and reopening PE, starting over completely with a whole new PREL file, and I still have the same problem:  the garbage matte renders far to the left revealing background that I don't want and only a slice of the left side of my body.

I used this same technique to shoot the same type video about 9 months ago with no problem.  Any ideas about why this is happening?  I also tried moving the avi up one track to no avail.

Thanks,

Antoinette

Garbage Matte Issue Rendered.jpg 

• 1. Re: CAn anyone tell me why Garbage matte renders in the wrong place even though it looks perfect on timeline?
          Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do the project settings match the media properties?  If not, it could cause unusual problems.

• 2. Re: CAn anyone tell me why Garbage matte renders in the wrong place even though it looks perfect on timeline?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Antoinette

Please clarify your situation.

On what computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 running?

Is your issue pointing to the way the export file displays your video and not to a previewing issue in the Edit area monitor? You seem to have said that when you wrote

"....Garbage matte renders in the wrong place even though it looks perfect on timeline.....".

If that is the case, I think your problem more likely exists in your choice of export settings. In order to find the cause of the problem, the following details will be needed

1. What are the properties of what you are putting on this Timeline that will be exported?

Video compression, audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio.

2. What are you or the project setting as the project preset to match the properties of your Timeline source files? (Just in case note - the project preset determines what space is going to be setup in the Edit area monitor for editing. And, you do not want to be setting up a 4:3 project for a 16:9 export.) If you do not know what the project preset is then please tell us what is listed for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

3. What is your export - Publish+Share/Computer/ the what and what are you setting for Presets? Are you using the default settings for the preset selected or are you customizing the preset under its Advanced Button Video Tab? Do you have a specific format requirement for the export?

Let us start here and then decide what next based on the details in your reply.

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have questions or need clarification about the above. We can go over the details at whatever pace you want to go.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...After the details of the settings gets worked out, I would evaluate your choice of project keying tools to do what you describe.

• 3. Re: CAn anyone tell me why Garbage matte renders in the wrong place even though it looks perfect on timeline?
              4anue Level 1

@ AT Romano and Peru Bob, thanks for your responses.  I finally got the file to render properly by way of the process of elimination.  To make a long story short, I rendered the multi-track file as an avi to maintain the position of the garbage matte, then I rendered the multi-track avi as a wmv. 

ATR, you were right about the export settings affecting the render; when I rendered to anything other than avi, the garbage matte rendered off-center.

Again, thanks,

Antoinette

• 4. Re: CAn anyone tell me why Garbage matte renders in the wrong place even though it looks perfect on timeline?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Antoinette

Great news. Great job in

If you ever want to discuss those project and export settings, please do not hesitate to ask. We would be glad for the opportunity to be of assistance.

But, right now, we are glad for your success so that you can move on with your Premiere Elements projects.

Best wishes

ATR

• 5. Re: CAn anyone tell me why Garbage matte renders in the wrong place even though it looks perfect on timeline?
                  4anue Level 1

Hi AT,

I noticed that the audio and video are out-of-sync toward the end of the file; I'm fairly certain the loss happened when I rendered the original mp4 from my phone to avi so I could edit it. 

I noticed the mp4 has a frame rate of 29 frames/second, whereas the avi renders at 29.97 frames per second.  Is there a way to change the rate at which the avi renders to match the mp4?  Or can you recommend settings I should check or change when I render the avi so audio and video remain synchronized?  I'm using Premiere Elements 11.  I've inserted an image of the mp4 properties and project settings as you suggested earlier in the discussion.

Thanks,

Antoinette

mp4 properties.jpg  Project Settings.jpg

• 6. Re: CAn anyone tell me why Garbage matte renders in the wrong place even though it looks perfect on timeline?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Antoinette

If you are using cell phone video it is highly likely that the video was recorded with a variable rather than a constant frame rate. Premiere Elements does not fare well with video recorded with a variable frame rate. The typical symptoms are audio out of sync or not being able to import the video at all. The usual remedy is to take the video into the free HandBrake program and export it as H.264.mp4 with a constant rather than variable frame rate. Then you import that HandBrake H.264.mp4 into the Premiere Elements project with Premiere Elements Add Media/Files and Folders.

https://handbrake.fr/

The other not so good news seems to be revealed in your screenshots. If your file is 1920 x 1080 16:9, you do not want to be importing that into a 4:3 project (720 x 480). The project settings are supposed to match the properties of your source file so that the project is instructed by that setting to set the right space in the Edit area monitor for editing. If I have not misunderstood your screenshots, this factor is contributing to the issues that you brought to our attention for help.

The frame rates are going to be 23.976, 29.97, 30, 59.94, 60, 25, or 50.

Please review the situation. And, if need I can give you a step by step through HandBrake.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...I think I would start by getting the program set up with the appropriate project preset and then determining the audio situation. See if you can find out if your cell phone video is 1080p. What brand/model cell phone is it? I see if I can find the phone's camera specifications online. If 1080p, then we will start a new project, and set the project preset manually to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97.

We will probably need to take the video into HandBrake and use this project preset.

• 7. Re: CAn anyone tell me why Garbage matte renders in the wrong place even though it looks perfect on timeline?
                      4anue Level 1

Hi AT,

My cell phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and the resolution is 1920x1080, 16:9.  I rendered the original mp4 in handbrake according to your instructions and had the same issue with audio not syncing once I put it on the PE timeline.  I came here to post an update and saw your Add-On, so I opened another Premiere Elements file with the project settings shown here.

I'm now rendering an AVI but I forgot the settings I wanted to report here so I'm going to test a few settings before updating again.  I do recall that the AVI file has presets of 720x480 and I don't see a way to change them.   There were one or two file types that render at 1920x1080 and/or H.264 but I'm not sure they are best for editing.  Can you recommend the settings I should change and/or a way to render an avi so the settings match H.264.mp4 and eliminate the syncing issue but are still editable?

This image shows handbrake settings; I followed your instructions exactly.

handbrake settings.jpg 

This shows the project settings I'm using right now:  Project Settings 2.jpg

Thanks,

Antoinette

• 8. Re: CAn anyone tell me why Garbage matte renders in the wrong place even though it looks perfect on timeline?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Antoninette

Thanks for the update.

HandBrake

The critical information there is what you set for under the Video Tab

HandBrakeVideoTab.JPG

Did you set Framerate (FPS) to 29.97 and not same as source?

Did you dot the Framerate (FPS) choice Constant Framerate?

When you imported the HandBrake export (H.264.mp4) into Premiere Elements with Premiere Elements' Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets, did you allow the project to set the project preset automatically once your dragged the file to the Timeline or did you set the project preset before you imported the file into the project?

Your project preset should have been

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97

It looks like your project preset was 1080i.

Please check out importing the HandBrake export created as mentioned (if you have not done that already) into the project with the DSLR project preset. If the project is not setting that project preset for you automatically, then you will need to set the project preset manually (File Menu/New/Project) before you import the HandBrake export into the Premiere Elements project.

Please review and consider. We will be watching for further developments.

Thanks for the follow ups. Appreciated.

ATR

Add On...Above written for use in Premiere Elements Expert workspace. I will go into the Premiere Elements AVI export once we get the above to work for us.

• 9. Re: CAn anyone tell me why Garbage matte renders in the wrong place even though it looks perfect on timeline?
                          4anue Level 1

Hi AT,

I'm rerendering the handbrake mp4 according to your latest guidance.  When I imported the first handbrake file into PE, I did not set the project preset before I imported the file; I guess the project adjusted to the preset automatically when I dragged the file onto the timeline.

After reading your advice about settings, I opened a new PREL project and manually adjusted the settings I showed in the earlier screenshot.  What should I be doing with the project settings - manually set them or allow them to autoadjust when I drag the file ont he timeline?

Thx

• 10. Re: CAn anyone tell me why Garbage matte renders in the wrong place even though it looks perfect on timeline?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Antoinette

Before you import your HandBrake export (now with its Constant 29.97 frame rate), you should set the Premiere Elements project preset manually before you import the HandBrake file into Premiere Elements since the Premiere Elements project is not doing it correctly. Please follow these steps for setting the project preset manually with File Menu/New/Project.

Manual setting of the project preset is done...

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                            • In Change Settings, set the project preset to match the properties of the source media. OK out of there.
                            • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
                            • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice.

Based on the properties of your cell phone video, the project preset that you set in Change Settings should be

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97.

We will be watching for your results as your schedule permits.

ATR

• 11. Re: CAn anyone tell me why Garbage matte renders in the wrong place even though it looks perfect on timeline?
                              4anue Level 1

Ding ****.  You wrote those instructions in the previous post; I saw them but they didn't register.  Thanks for repeating yourself; apparently I fell asleep at the wheel

• 12. Re: CAn anyone tell me why Garbage matte renders in the wrong place even though it looks perfect on timeline?
                                4anue Level 1

Hi AT,

I followed your instructions for handbrake settings and importing into PE and the new mp4 looks great -- audio and video are perfectly synced.  Now I'm testing different settings for converting it to AVI so I can edit.  Two questions:

1.  Do you recommend rendering an avi to edit? 

2.  If so, what settings should I use?  AVI preset in PE11 is 720x480; the Advanced Settings tab allows me to change the resolution, etc., but when I changed it to 1920x1080, improved Quality to 100 and depth rate to 16 bit, the audio lost syncronicity.

Thanks,

Antoinette

• 13. Re: CAn anyone tell me why Garbage matte renders in the wrong place even though it looks perfect on timeline?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Antoinette

Great news. Great job. Thanks for the update.

Is there any reason you want an avi file? Have you considered importing and editing your H.264.mp4 from HandBrake into Premiere Elements and then exporting it as H.264.mp4.

If so, please look at

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30

If you want a H.264.mov file

Publish+Share

Computer

QuickTime

with Presets = NTSC DV  16:9

then under the Advanced Button/Video Tab customize that preset to H.264.mov 1920 x 1080p30.

Details of Export Settings on this to follow if you are interested.

We will be watching for further details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 14. Re: CAn anyone tell me why Garbage matte renders in the wrong place even though it looks perfect on timeline?
                                    4anue Level 1

Hi AT,

For some reason, the forum is not messaging me when you reply.  I checked today because I thought you might've responded by now; glad I did.

I only wanted an avi file because I've read that avi's have more frames or some similar technical detail that makes it easier to edit them.  But I've learned here that avi might be more trouble than it's worth.  I will try editing according to your last guidance and report back tomorrow.

Thanks a million,

Antoinette

• 15. Re: CAn anyone tell me why Garbage matte renders in the wrong place even though it looks perfect on timeline?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Antoinette

Thanks for the follow up. Sometimes those email notifications and their relationship to the forum posting get confusing. I am having a reverse problem. Interestingly I am now getting email notifications for a certain MVP when this MVP replies to a thread in which I had no involvement.

We will be looking forward to your results. If you do not see a reply from me within 24 hours, please try to send me a "Where are you?" private message.

Best wishes

ATR

• 16. Re: CAn anyone tell me why Garbage matte renders in the wrong place even though it looks perfect on timeline?
                                        4anue Level 1

Hi AT,

I created a new PE project with the presets you advised and here are the results of my various tests:

1. I tried editing the H.264.mp4 and as I was trying to cut-delete and close gap, the video kept sticking while the audio ran normally, which made it almost impossible to edit.

2. I rendered an avi of the H.264.mp4 and was able to edit fairly easily but the standard output was 720x480, which created a thick black border around the finished avi.  When I rendered that avi as a wmv, it was not nearly as clear and sharp as when I rendered my original mp4 as an avi with the original presets and mis-synced audio.

3.  I rendered and avi of the H.264.mp4 and changed the output size to 1920x1080 and it came out larger but not very clear and sharp.

I don't know how an avi differs technically; I only know its easier to edit because the frames don't stick during the editing process.

Have you any ideas for other settings I might use to render a sharp avi for editing?

Add on:  Can I use handbrake to render original mp4 to an avi with same settings?

Thanks,

Antoinette

• 17. Re: CAn anyone tell me why Garbage matte renders in the wrong place even though it looks perfect on timeline?
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Antoinette

Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the lag in my reply...got detoured.

You should not be getting sticking of frames in any case. You wrote that the HandBrake H.264.mp4 was a success but you want to convert it to an avi file in Premiere Elements.

1. If the HandBrake H.264.mp4 is 1920 x 1080p30, then the project preset (manually set if necessary) should be

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR1080p30@29.97

before you import the HandBrake H.264.mp4 into the project.

2. For export to .avi.

a. I would suggest that you download and install the video codec Lagarith Loseless Codec. When you do that, it becomes available for your use in Premiere Elements Publish+Share/Computer/AVI and the Advanced Button/Video Tab and Video Codec choice.

So the workflow would be

Publish+Share

Computer

AVI with Presets = DV NTSC Widescreen. Then customize that preset to Lagarith.avi 1920 x 1080p30 under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of the preset.

The Export Settings that you set should look like the following under the Video Tab

lagarith.JPG

If you find a chain link in the box to the right of the Width Height fields, click on it to remove it in order to be able to type in your 1920 and 1080 values.

Let us see how that turns out. The other export suggestions should have given you good results for editing and export, but we can look into that further if necessary.

I do not recall from where I download the Lagarith Lossless Codec that I use - but it was free. See if the following link works as your source for that codec

Lagarith Lossless Video Codec 1.3.27

We will be watching for your results.

Best wishes

ATR

• 18. Re: CAn anyone tell me why Garbage matte renders in the wrong place even though it looks perfect on timeline?
                                            4anue Level 1

Hi AT,

No worries about the delayed response; it forced me to find a software that allowed me to convert the original mp4 into an avi with similar frame rate;.  The audio and video are synced in the new avi and later today, I'll put it on the timeline and edit, and update you here.  If it works, it will eliminate a step from your process; either way, I will report back and if it works, I'll post a link to the software so that others may benefit from this stream.

Thanks,

Antoinette

• 19. Re: CAn anyone tell me why Garbage matte renders in the wrong place even though it looks perfect on timeline?
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Antoinette

Thanks for the update.

Looking forward to your results. If you think it worthwhile and you have the time, please look at the Premiere Elements Lagarith.avi as described to determine if there are any advantages in using it.

But, at this point, from what you wrote, the software that you have found is not affected by variable frame rate and eliminates the original .mp4 to HandBrake H.264.mp4 to Premiere Elements for a possible Lagarith.avi. If that is the case, the only perk that might be possible with the Premiere Elements Lagarith.avi route is that the Lagarith.avi might have better quality than that of the new software.

The follow up is appreciated, and we are looking forward to getting more details on what works for you.

ATR

• 20. Re: CAn anyone tell me why Garbage matte renders in the wrong place even though it looks perfect on timeline?
                                                4anue Level 1

Hi AT,

The avi I created from the software I found skipped and stuck on the timeline so I started from scratch with your instructions for rendering the mp4 in handbrake, to forcing the project presets, to rendering an avi from the handbrake mp4 using the lagarith codec.  The avi with the lagarith codec skipped and stuck a little so I tried being patient while the video and audio caught up with each other; I also clicked the Save button after each edit action and that helped.  I then layered the studio image, logo and in video images on the various timelines above and below my avi to get a great finished product.

Long story short, the mp4 I created with your instructions is AMAZING.  It's clear and sharp...and synced... like never before. 

Thanks so much for your help; the process you suggested is now my standard operating procedure.

Again, thanks a million!

Antoinette

• 21. Re: CAn anyone tell me why Garbage matte renders in the wrong place even though it looks perfect on timeline?
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Antoinette

Wonderful news of your success getting the .avi end product that you sought, audio in sync and excellent quality.

Thanks for staying the the troubleshooting suggestions to obtain the success.

You did a great job of producing the .avi.

Best wishes

ATR