Premiere's tech requirements: http://www.adobe.com/ca/products/premiere-elements/tech-specs.html
My system details:
Windows 7, 64 bits. Service Pack 1
Installed Memory: 8 gigs
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500 CPU @ 3.30 GHz
Quicktime is up to date.
Direct X version 11
I have over 200 gigs of hard drive available.
Loading the software takes at least a full minute, often up to three.
Importing a 5 gig movie file freezes the software, and my entire system slows down, until I force quit Premiere, and it takes at least two minutes to recover it's normal speed.
I'm using the trial version, as I just found out the official online reseller (Canada Software Outlet) has sold me something that is out of stock, and they say it will take them 2 days to get me a license number.
So, if this cannot be resolved with the current version of Premiere Elements, I'm willing to try an earlier version, 11 perhaps.
Yet I cannot locate it online.
Please help Me Adobe Kenobi, you're my only hope!
This is not Adobe. Rather user to user.
Let us go through the typical drill questions for the symptoms that you describe.
1. Does the problem exist with and without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?
2. Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer along with Premiere Elements 13. Have you updated 13 to 13.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Update? If not, please do so.
3. Are you running the programs from a User Account with Administrative Privileges?
4. Are you using a pen and tablet device instead of mouse
5. Is your video card/graphic card driver version up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?
What is the duration of this 5 GB movie that creates problems for your project? Does the project performance improve if you shorten the import duration?
What are the properties of this 5 GB movie? The brand/model/settings for the camera that recorded it would give us valuable video properties information for the troubleshooting.
You could try optimizing your computer using the free ccleaner. I am holding back suggesting an uninstall/reinstall at this time until such time as we have more information on your situation.
Please review and consider the above, and then let us know if anything mentioned above improved you Premiere Elements performance issue.