7 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2015 11:44 AM by henwin@verizon.net

strange file name--what is it?

henwin@verizon.net

My teacher did some work on one of my RAW files on an external hard drive, using LR CC (current version) and the same version I use.  He uses a Mac--I'm not sure what version--and I use Win7 64 bit..  When I got home, I found an XMP file with the date/time stamp for when he worked on it...but it had some strange things: 

First of all, the original XMP file was 55KB.  The "new" file (after he worked on the photo) was 4KB.  The file name of the original XMP was filename.xmp.  After he worked on my image, the XMP file name was ,_filename.xmp--note the "dot underscore" that precedes the file name.  The time/date stamp was correct.

So the questions: what created the  ._filename.xmp  file?  How come the changes he made on my image were not preserved (well, they didn't show up when I opened up the image on my computer, after transferring the changed XMP file to my computer)?

thanks for any help you can provide......

• 1. Re: strange file name--what is it?
          Theresa J Adobe Community Professional

When you capture images in the raw format, edits to the image are stored in a 'sidecar' file. The .xml is the sidecar. Think of it as a set of written instructions that tells the raw image what it should look like. Adobe Bridge will view the raw image with the sidecar edits if they are together in the same folder. If you loose the .xml file, you loose the edits. If you use Lightroom, edit instructions are saved within the Lightroom database. In can be written to a sidecar external file if you choose to.

• 2. Re: strange file name--what is it?
            henwin@verizon.net Level 1

It's an XMP not an XML..That is not the issue, but thanks for the shot.

• 3. Re: strange file name--what is it?

I'll blame it on dyslexia, or a senior moment. It is an XMP, not an XML, and everything else I said still applies.

• 4. Re: strange file name--what is it?

I understand that everything you said still applies.  But please go and re-read the original post.  I think it's pretty clear--but them again, I wrote the description!

• 5. Re: strange file name--what is it?

If you view the image with Adobe Bridge, you will see the edit if the xmp is in the same folder with the raw image. If you want to see the edits inside of your Lightroom catalog, put the xmp file in the folder with your original raw image. Open Lightroom and find the image. You should now see a warning exclamation in the upper right of the image. Click on the warning. It will ask you if you want to import the settings from the disk. Say yes.

• 6. Re: strange file name--what is it?
                    Jao vdL Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You must be working on an external drive with that is using a windows native formatting (probably FAT32) on it? Those ._ preceded files are things that Mac OS X leaves around when the filesystem it is using does not support forked files as Mac OS X native file scheme uses. Normally they are supposed to be hidden on your windows machine but apparently not. There should also be an actual file without the period underscore there. That's the only one you need. The ._ file does not have any pertinent data in it. It could be that your colleague didn't actually save the metadata to file in Lightroom. That's the only way to actually get these files to come over. You will only see the edits in yourv Lightroom if you follow Theresa's instructions.

• 7. Re: strange file name--what is it?

That's IT!  External drive formatted in FAT32 (or it maybe some other format that a Mac can read.  It's definitely not NTFS).  I didn't respond to Theresa because it's so very rare that I even use Bridge these days.  My instructor showed me how to get the changes out of the file that he worked on in LR with his Mac, into my Windows.