22 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2015 12:15 PM by marys73689090

DVD burning or ISO creation problems

marys73689090

I've used  premiere elements 13 for a week (after using premiere 9) for a few years) and burned dvds from ISO files as well as DVDS. now using this same file without any changes I try to burn to dvd and it gives notice that it is completed but nothing is on the dvd. Also tried burn to file but no file is found after it shows completed.

computer info is windows7, 4RAM, 4quad, 89gb hard disk space

i have checked the timelines and deleted markers and only have one marker added back in and no blank spaces and see no stragglers to remove. Before this happened was having constant problem with heading of menu adding symbols and letters that I did not place there.

LAst ast time I attempted burn to DVD did NtSc widescreen Dolby DVD,  space required 2.53GB, bitrate 8.00mbps

iI've spent three days trying everything and reading everything.....this is all very frustrating!

I read this and cannot locate it:

"Please look at the burn to disc (assumed DVD-VIDEO on DVD) with and without the Intel HD Graphics 2000 and Higher preference disabled in preferences (Edit Menu/Preferences/General)."

my program is 13.1

• 1. Re: DVD burning or ISO creation problems
          A.T. Romano Level 7

marys

Thank you for continuing your discussion of this matter which was started in posts 4 to 7 in the thread of another.

dvd burn interrupted

It sounds like your menu text issue was probably caused by saving a project where you had added more than 1 line of text to the title of the menu. At this point I do not think that this factor is related to the present burn to situation where you get a supposedly successful burn to but the end product cannot be found.

Have you gone through the routine of determining if the problem exists with and without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

There is always the consideration of computer resources. Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Windows is only a 64 bit application when it is run specifically on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit computer.  Otherwise, it is a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of the 64 bit system and consequently has all the 32 bit system limitations with regard to computer resources. You cannot add more RAM since 32 bit system maximum supported RAM is 4.0 GB which you already have. But, your 89 GB free hard drive space is very low for Premiere Elements project of a reasonable size.

Are you setting up for HD project and then doing the burn to with NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby Digital. Or, do you start with SD footage to take to this end product?

1. Check the Scratch Disks (Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks) and tell us where there are pointed and how much free hard drive space is listed there.

2. Find the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Folder and determine if you have pile ups (in GB amounts) of preview files. Find the Media Cache Files Folder and determine if you have pile ups of conformed audio files (cfa and pek files). I am not sure where these folders would be in Windows 7 32 bit. In my Windows 7 64 bit, they are found Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/13.0.

Is there anyway to free up any hard drive space?

The imperfect factor here is that you said that this all worked before.

I am thinking about

uninstall

free ccleaner (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts)

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled.

And, then looking at the burn to as 13 and then updating 13 to 13.1 and looking at the burn to again.

But let us consider all of the above and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: DVD burning or ISO creation problems
            marys73689090 Level 1

THANKS FOR TRYING TO HELP ME- SEE BELOW

marys

Thank you for continuing your discussion of this matter which was started in posts 4 to 7 in the thread of another.

dvd burn interrupted

It sounds like your menu text issue was probably caused by saving a project where you had added more than 1 line of text to the title of the menu. At this point I do not think that this factor is related to the present burn to situation where you get a supposedly successful burn to but the end product cannot be found.

Have you gone through the routine of determining if the problem exists with and without the antivirus and firewall(s) disabled?

I ALWAYS TURN OFF THE ANTIVIRUS

There is always the consideration of computer resources. Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Windows is only a 64 bit application when it is run specifically on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit computer.  Otherwise, it is a 32 bit application running in the 32 bit compatibility mode of the 64 bit system and consequently has all the 32 bit system limitations with regard to computer resources. You cannot add more RAM since 32 bit system maximum supported RAM is 4.0 GB which you already have. But, your 89 GB free hard drive space is very low for Premiere Elements project of a reasonable size.

UNFORTUNATELY 4 YRS AGO WHEN I BOUGHT THE COMPUTER I WAS ILL-ADVISED TO HAVE IT CONFIGURED FOR 32 BIT - AND I'M WORKING ON FREEING MORE HARD DRIVE SPACE- MOVING LARGER FILES TO EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES.  HOW MUCH HARD DRIVE SPACE SHOULD I HAVE? 

Are you setting up for HD project and then doing the burn to with NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby Digital. Or, do you start with SD footage to take to this end product?

YES INITIALLY I SET UP AND BURNED AVCHD TO DVD (THE REASON I UPGRADED TO BEGIN WITH) AND IT WORKED FINE AND PLAYED AWESOME. THEN I SET ABOUT MAKING REGULAR DVDS AND RAN INTO QUALITY ISSUE (WENT FROM 95% GREAT TO 30% POOR)...  FOOTAGE IS FROM VIDEO CAMERAS (SONY) 1440X1080 AND PHOTOSHOW PROCESSED IN PRODUCER AND SAVED AS MPEG4 1440X1080. 

1. Check the Scratch Disks (Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks) and tell us where there are pointed and how much free hard drive space is listed there.

SCRATCH DISKS ALL POINT TO 86GB

2. Find the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Folder and determine if you have pile ups (in GB amounts) of preview files.         pREVIEW FOLDER SHOWS 435MB     SHOULD THESE EVER BE DELETED?

Find the Media Cache Files Folder and determine if you have pile ups of conformed audio files (cfa and pek files). I am not sure where these folders would be in Windows 7 32 bit. In my Windows 7 64 bit, they are found Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/13.0.    IN THE PROGRAM THERE IS AN AREA TO SET MEDIA CACHE SIZE AND IT IS SET FOR 5GB AND BUTTON TO CLEAN- SHOULD I?

Is there anyway to free up any hard drive space? DOING THAT NOW - HOW MUCH GB SHOULD I HAVE ON HARD DRIVE?

The imperfect factor here is that you said that this all worked before. YES INTERESTING- I'M ALSO GOING BACK THRU THE FILE- I HATE TO HAVE TO RECREATE IT - AND LOOKING AGAIN FOR SOMETHING THAT IS TRIPPING IT UP.

I am thinking about     THAT WILL BE NEXT IF NONE OF THIS OTHER HELPS... THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.... ONWARD!!!

uninstall

free ccleaner (regular cleaner and registry cleaner parts)

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

reinstall with antivirus and firewalls disabled.

And, then looking at the burn to as 13 and then updating 13 to 13.1 and looking at the burn to again.

But let us consider all of the above and then decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: DVD burning or ISO creation problems
              marys73689090 Level 1

Thanks for your help!

I have cleaned the computer and moved files off hard drive and now have 131 GB of freespace... hopefully this helps.

Meanwhile I'm trying to burn to ISO file again after going thru the file and tidying up things even more just in case....

listed below are the files in my current show which has project settings of editing mode HDV1080i, 29.97 frames, video 1440 x 1080, pixel HD anamorphic 1080 1.333

files in project: all videos     720x480  29.97; 1920x1080 60 pixel ration 1.0;     1920x1080  29.97; 1440x 1080 29.97 pixel ratio 1.333

these files combined came out fine via AVCHD to DVD and played on blu-ray great quality.

any suggestions to get a better quality regular DVD from these files?

• 4. Re: DVD burning or ISO creation problems
                A.T. Romano Level 7

marys

Thanks for the reply with more details.

1. You wrote

"...files in project: all videos    720 x 480 29.97, 1920 x 1080 60 pixel ratio 1.0, 1920 x 1080 29.97, 1440 x 1080 29.97 pixel ration 1.333..."

Could confirm if the following video are interlaced or progressive

720 x 480 @ 29.97 frames per second

1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 frames per second

I am understanding that the following are the progressive videos...

1920 x 1080 @ 59.94 or 60 progressive frames per second

I am understanding that the following is interlaced video

1440 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second

When the video has an interlaced frame rate, the frame consists of 2 fields (Upper or Lower).

When you create a DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, you get an interlaced frame rate with the scan order of the fields being Lower Field First.

When you have interlaced video on the Timeline and its scan order is Upper Field First, you might run into a problem if the Timeline destination is DVD-VIDEO with its specification for scan order Lower Field First. In that case, before export you can right click the interlaced video on the Timeline and select Field Options and then Reverse Field Dominance. This is not an issue with progressive video on the Timeline and the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc destination. You could also explore the other Field Options as well. Use of one of the Hard Disk Flash Memory Camcorders presets could be considered, but I would not in this particular case.

If you are limited in free hard drive space, management of the scratch disks may be very beneficial.

Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder

Here will be the preview files that are generated every time you Timeline render a video or still. You can delete these. The consequence you will need to Timeline render again in the opened project if and when needed for preview purposes.

Media Cache Files Folder

Here will be the conformed audio files (cfa and pek). These can be deleted. They will be automatically generated again when and if the project decides it needs them.

Media Cache

Here will be the conformed video files (mcdb). These can be deleted. They will be automatically generated agained when and if the project decides it needs them. (You can do the clearing on this via Edit Menu/Preferences/ Media and its Media Cache Database area "Clean Now" button.

The free hard drive space of 131 GB is better. But, ideally you should be thinking 500 GB or more. The 32 bit application and the 131 GB free space is going to be limiting you as your project increases.

Please review the above, and then let me know if you need clarification or more information of your Premiere Elements workflow.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: DVD burning or ISO creation problems
                  marys73689090 Level 1

THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT INFORMATION-

AFTER MOVING MORE FILES TO EXTERNAL AND GOING OVER THE PREMIERE FILE REPLACING THE LAST COUPLE OF FILES ADDED AND MORE CLEANING AND ADJUSTING I FINALLY WAS ABLE TO BURN TO ISO AND FIND THE ISO (ALTHOUGH IT ENDED UP IN DOCUMENTS INSTEAD OF WHERE I INDICATED) AND BURN TO DVD- JUST BEFORE BURN TO ISO IT SHOWED 2.53GB SPACE NEEDED AT 8. BITRATE.(USED CHECKED BOX) BUT THE ISO FILE INDICATED IT WAS 2.18GB? DID FIND TWO SMALL FILES MISSING (SOUND FILES)- THE WHOLE VIDEO PLAYED OK EXCEPT I DID HAVE A STOP SET FOR ANOTHER SMALL MOVIE AND IT IGNORED THE STOP ALTOGETHER AND PLAYED THRU IT (I WILL BE REMOVING THE STOP AND JUST LETTING IT RUN AT THE END AFTER THE CREDITS OF THE MAIN MOVIE - WHAT IS CONCERNING ME IS I'M STILL DEALING WITH LOW QUALITY IN LARGER SCALE FILES -  1920 AND 1440 FILES - WILL THE INTERLACED FILE HAVE BETTER APPEARANCE WHEN I FOLLOW YOUR ADVICE? DO YOU HAVE ANY FURTHER POINTERS OF GETTING THIS SHOW TO HAVE BETTER QUALITY?  I'VE GOT TO PRODUCE A BUNCH OF DVDS FOR A DANCE GROUP AND OF COURSE PRESSURED...WHATS NEW!

HOW CAN I FIND OUT WHETHER A FILE IS INTERLACED OR PROGRESSIVE? I'M NOT SURE ABOUT THE FILES YOU QUESTIONED. I'M READING INFO IN INTERLACE - YOU STATE "BEFORE EXPORT YOU CAN RIGHT CLICK INTERLACED VIDEO" DO YOU MEAN BEFORE BURNING TO ISO OR DVD? VIDEO CAMERAS HAVE THEIR OWN HARD DISK NO MEMORY CARD.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!

1. You wrote

"...files in project: all videos    720 x 480 29.97, 1920 x 1080 60 pixel ratio 1.0, 1920 x 1080 29.97, 1440 x 1080 29.97 pixel ration 1.333..."

Could confirm if the following video are interlaced or progressive

720 x 480 @ 29.97 frames per second

1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 frames per second

I am understanding that the following are the progressive videos...

1920 x 1080 @ 59.94 or 60 progressive frames per second

I am understanding that the following is interlaced video

1440 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second

When the video has an interlaced frame rate, the frame consists of 2 fields (Upper or Lower).

When you create a DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, you get an interlaced frame rate with the scan order of the fields being Lower Field First.

When you have interlaced video on the Timeline and its scan order is Upper Field First, you might run into a problem if the Timeline destination is DVD-VIDEO with its specification for scan order Lower Field First. In that case, before export you can right click the interlaced video on the Timeline and select Field Options and then Reverse Field Dominance. This is not an issue with progressive video on the Timeline and the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc destination. You could also explore the other Field Options as well. Use of one of the Hard Disk Flash Memory Camcorders presets could be considered, but I would not in this particular case.

If you are limited in free hard drive space, management of the scratch disks may be very beneficial.

Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder

Here will be the preview files that are generated every time you Timeline render a video or still. You can delete these. The consequence you will need to Timeline render again in the opened project if and when needed for preview purposes.

Media Cache Files Folder

Here will be the conformed audio files (cfa and pek). These can be deleted. They will be automatically generated again when and if the project decides it needs them.

Media Cache

Here will be the conformed video files (mcdb). These can be deleted. They will be automatically generated agained when and if the project decides it needs them. (You can do the clearing on this via Edit Menu/Preferences/ Media and its Media Cache Database area "Clean Now" button.

The free hard drive space of 131 GB is better. But, ideally you should be thinking 500 GB or more. The 32 bit application and the 131 GB free space is going to be limiting you as your project increases.

Please review the above, and then let me know if you need clarification or more information of your Premiere Elements workflow.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: DVD burning or ISO creation problems
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

marys

Sounds like you did great. Wonderful news.

1. If you cannot get the information about interlaced or progressive from the camera settings, the free video audio readout program named MediaInfo will show that information in its "Tree" view. But, you need to be very careful with your choices when you download and install the program. It often travels with unwanted baggage that can mess up your computer.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

For that reason, I would prefer to get the interlaced/progressive information from the camera setting.

2. Just be on guard with the .iso files that you produce from your Timeline content. There is a known problem with an .iso file from Premiere Elements if it is over 1 GB in file size. The problem is when the .iso (over 1 GB file size) is taken to disc in a 3rd party software, the player does not recognize the format.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13: ISO Image File Size Issue

3. When you are heading for DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc in Premiere Elements and Timeline's interlaced video with field order Upper Field First is a factor, you can right click the interlaced video on the Timeline and select Field Options from the pop up menu. Then select Reverse Field Dominance in the list of Field Options. See if it makes a difference in the export of that Timeline. The following Adobe documents includes details of the Field Options.

Working with aspect ratios and field options

4. Stop markers should work in Premiere Elements for burn to disc DVD-VIDEO. They do not work for AVCHD on DVD disc or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc. Just be sure not to put a stop marker at the end of the last item on the Timeline. You do not need it there, and its presence in that location leads to burn to failures.

5. Both 1920 x 1080 16:9 and 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 end up with display of 1920 x 1080 16:9. In the case of the 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9, the 16:9 flag stretches the 1440 x 1080 to 1920 x 1080 for display after encoding. We can talk about exact import and export suggestions once we have all the video details.

Please let me know if I have covered the details that you need and requested.

Sounding very good. Great job.

ATR

• 7. Re: DVD burning or ISO creation problems
                      marys73689090 Level 1

THANKS AGAIN FOR CONTINUING TO HELP ME! INVALUABLE..   I DOWNLOADED MEDIAINFO (NO WORRIES I UNCHECKED/DID NOT APPROVE THE ADDONS THEY WANTED TO PASS ON)  I STILL DON'T SEE THE INDICATOR FOR PROGRESSIVE OR INTERLACE (WHICH IS USUALLY INDICATED BY AN i OR p AFTER THE 1080 CORRECT?)... BUT HERE IS A SCREEN SHOT OF THE FIRST FILE (WHICH DIDNT COME FROM VIDEO CAMERA BUT STILL CAMERA (PHOTOS) AND PROCESSED IN pHOTODEX/PRODUCER FOR SLIDESHOW AND EXPORTED AS MPEG4 AND IMPORTED INTO PREMIERE AS SUCH. LOOK BELOW FOR A COUPLE MORE SCREEN SHOTS THAT MIGHT SHED SOME LIGHT- I WILL ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS BELOW THAT- THANKS!

HERE IS THE NEXT FILE COMING FROM SONY CAMERA TRANSFERRED VIA USB CONNECTION AND IMPORTED INTO PREMIERE

HERE IS THE NEXT FILE - IT IS A TWO FILES (BOTH 1440 X 1080) EDITED TOGETHER AS ONE FILE AND SAVED AS MPEG2 (PROCESSED IN PREMIERE 13) AND IMPORTED INTO THIS SHOW.

NEXT IS THE FINAL VID FILE SCREEN SHOT - THIS FOOTAGE CAME FROM THE CAMERA VIA USB CONNECTION AND IMPORTED INTO PREMIERE 13 SHOW FILE

Sounds like you did great. Wonderful news.

1. If you cannot get the information about interlaced or progressive from the camera settings, the free video audio readout program named MediaInfo will show that information in its "Tree" view. But, you need to be very careful with your choices when you download and install the program. It often travels with unwanted baggage that can mess up your computer.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/            GOT IT THANKS

For that reason, I would prefer to get the interlaced/progressive information from the camera setting.

2. Just be on guard with the .iso files that you produce from your Timeline content. There is a known problem with an .iso file from Premiere Elements if it is over 1 GB in file size. The problem is when the .iso (over 1 GB file size) is taken to disc in a 3rd party software, the player does not recognize the format.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13: ISO Image File Size Issue

THANKS I USED PREMIERE FOR EVERYTHING AND WILL TRY IT OUT ON MY THREE VARIOUS REGULAR DVD PLAYERS (FROM VERY OLD TO NEW) - I WILL ALSO TRY TO BURN TO DVD HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF NO PROBLEMS THEN?

3. When you are heading for DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc in Premiere Elements and Timeline's interlaced video with field order Upper Field First is a factor, you can right click the interlaced video on the Timeline and select Field Options from the pop up menu. Then select Reverse Field Dominance in the list of Field Options. See if it makes a difference in the export of that Timeline. The following Adobe documents includes details of the Field Options.             GUESS I BETTER KNOW WHICH ARE INTERLACED-DON'T TOUCH PROGRESSIVE VIDS CORRECT? JUST INTERLACED... GOT IT. WILL READ THIS NEXT FILE AFTER I POST THIS MESSAGE

Working with aspect ratios and field options

4. Stop markers should work in Premiere Elements for burn to disc DVD-VIDEO. They do not work for AVCHD on DVD disc or Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc. Just be sure not to put a stop marker at the end of the last item on the Timeline. You do not need it there, and its presence in that location leads to burn to failures.    INTERESTING AS I FIRST BURNED AVCHD TO DVD AND THE STOP MARKER WORKED FINE - I'M JUST GOING TO USE A COUPLE OF MENU MARKERS INSTEAD OR IF THEY WANT THEY CAN GET EVERYTHING BY PLAY MOVIE... TRYING TO TAKE OUT ANYTHING CAUSING PROBLEMS.

5. Both 1920 x 1080 16:9 and 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 end up with display of 1920 x 1080 16:9. In the case of the 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9, the 16:9 flag stretches the 1440 x 1080 to 1920 x 1080 for display after encoding. We can talk about exact import and export suggestions once we have all the video details.    STRETCHING FROM 1440 TO 1920 IS CAUSING THE DISTORTION OF THE VID...YES SURE SOUNDS LIKE I NEED SUGGESTIONS..

LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS INFO...THANKS AGAIN!

PS- WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT SCALING HD2SD? - THERE WAS A LINK TO VIEW A VIDEO ABOUT MAKING BETTER HD TO SD DVDS BUT IT INVOLVES MANY PROGRAMS AND SOUNDS COMPLICATED...BUT IF IT IS WORTH IT I WILL TRY ANYTHING. mARY

Please let me know if I have covered the details that you need and requested.

Sounding very good. Great job.

ATR

• 8. Re: DVD burning or ISO creation problems
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

marys

Thanks for the MediaInfo information.

To see the Scan Type and Scan Order information that we seeks, you need to be in the Tree view.

If progressive, you will just see Scan Type Progressive. If interlaced, the Scan Type Interlace and Scan Order either Top or Bottom Field First.

Top or Bottom Field is sometimes referred to as Upper or Lower Field First.

At the bottom of the screenshots is a Note: about the Tree view.

You can also switch to that Tree view by going to the View Menu at the top of that page and selecting Tree.

I just realized I have a tablet with Windows 8.1 32 bit. So, I installed Premiere Elements 13 on it to look how that 32 bit operating system places the program files on the hard drive at default installation.

ATR

• 9. Re: DVD burning or ISO creation problems
                          marys73689090 Level 1

Thanks again - i read tree view but thought i was in it - went under view and there it was.... since i think you only want to know whether Progressive or Interlaced here it is (if you need screen shots of all video info let me know and i can do)

all of the vids from cameras are Interlaced with Top Field

the vid from photos is Progressive

I tried reading the "working with aspect ratios" late last nite and will read about them now so that i can handle them better to hopefully help the DVD look better

I was advised by Photodex to output the photoshow vid to Mpeg4...1920x1080p  ....which came out clear and actually made the photos look better than they really are---- but perhaps too much to downsize to 720x480?

any further tips on helping the final DVD (regular) look better?   thank again for your ongoing help!

• 10. Re: DVD burning or ISO creation problems
                            marys73689090 Level 1

sorry additional concern: I found that the Photo vid file pixel is 1.0 but the whole show preference is 1.333 and anamorphic. would that affect the photo vid file?  thx

• 11. Re: DVD burning or ISO creation problems
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

marys

About your find of the HD2SD concept and how to....

Have you seen the following

HD2SD – A “Package” for AviSynth « David Esp Video Technical Blog

Bellune Digital Video Services - Play Video - hd2sd - High Quality Scaling From HD to SD

I would determine at the onset that you are dealing with a totally free converter - free beyond any tryout period.

I have not tried that converter so I am not sure how much you would gain from using it. The level of computer resources mentioned in the HD2SD video tutorial makes me concerned that you are going to run into a problem in that workflow in your Windows 32 bit computer environment, limited free hard drive space, with 4 GB Installed RAM.

Years ago there was always the argument whether or not HDV data capture gave a better result in Premiere Elements

a. it was recorded and captured firewire as HDV into the Premiere Elements capture window

or

b. it was recorded as HDV, converted to SD in the camera, and then captured firewire into the Premiere Elements capture window

Some results said better, some said same.

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 12. Re: DVD burning or ISO creation problems
                                marys73689090 Level 1

Thanks- i read about the free converter and the other programs i would need to go along with it and the process and I am like you believe my system would not be able to handle it all...with that said anything further i can do to make it all look better?

• 13. Re: DVD burning or ISO creation problems
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

marys

Regarding

sorry additional concern: I found that the Photo vid file pixel is 1.0 but the whole show preference is 1.333 and anamorphic. would that affect the photo vid file?  thx

Answer for now, you should be able to import a 1920 x 1080 photo into a project which uses a 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 project setting. When the project preset is set for 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9, the space in the Edit area monitor is for 1920 x 1080 display. So when you import the photo next into the project, the photo image will fit into that 1920 x 1080 space already established.

There is a distinction between frame aspect ratio and pixel aspect ratio (square versus rectangular for the pixel that make up the frame image) and Display Aspect Ratio. Pixel Aspect Ratio is typically a correction factor for the square to rectangular pixel situation. Please review the Adobe comments in

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/aspect-ratios-field-options.html

and also check out

http://blog.sharbor.com/blog/2010/07/anamorphic-widescreen-understanding-pixel-aspect-rati os-3/

Once we gather the information on what formats (including interlaced or progressive) are intended for the Timeline, I will go into details on project presets and related matters (suggestions on how to proceed in workflow planning with Timeline "fixed formats") in greater detail.

ATR

• 14. Re: DVD burning or ISO creation problems
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

marys

I think I am a bit out of sync with our posts.

With regard to your post 12 in your thread....

Thanks- i read about the free converter and the other programs i would need to go along with it and the process and I am like you believe my system would not be able to handle it all...with that said anything further i can do to make it all look better?

I was hoping we could make some gains in quality related to optimizing the project settings (import and export).

ATR

• 15. Re: DVD burning or ISO creation problems
                                      marys73689090 Level 1

I see that my info about interlaced vs progressive files didn't send.....I sent it at same time as last post....

I did the media info tree and found the following: I didn't do screen shots but if you need them let me know and I can do.

the the photo video is progressive

all the other videos are interlaced Top Field ...

now how to optimize hopefully helping the DVD video look better....

thanks for for your Help!

• 16. Re: DVD burning or ISO creation problems
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

marys

How have you been establishing your project preset for your project?

a. dragging a photo as the first file to the Timeline and then your videos

or

b. dragging the 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 as the first file to the Timeline and then importing the 1080p and photos

or

c. dragging the 1080p as the first file to the Timeline and then importing the photos and 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9?

This is what I would like you to try....

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                                        • In Change Settings, set the project preset to NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p30@29.97. Then OK out of there.
                                        • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
                                        • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice. At this point, it does not matter which format you import first. The project settings will be for what you have set manually, that is, 1080p.

For the 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic on the Timeline, you can experiment with and with Field Option Reverse Field Dominance.

For any of the items on the Timeline, you could explore if a "tiny bit of Sharpen" improves the situation. See Expert workspace fX Effects/Blur & Sharpen/Sharpen. Depending on the circumstances, you could look at applying AntiFliicker Filter for the interlaced video (select the Timeline interlaced video, go to Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded....at the bottom of the Motion Panel expanded is the AntiFlicker Filter slider.

Also, how are you handling the 720 x 480 with regard to frame size and potential black borders in a 1920 x 1080 frame size?

ATR

• 17. Re: DVD burning or ISO creation problems
                                          marys73689090 Level 1

Thanks Romano for helping me- i'm learning so much! see below

How have you been establishing your project preset for your project?  I never use photo files in my video shows.... I prefer to use Producer to do a wonderful slideshow of the photos and then save as Mpeg4 for Premiere.... I'm sorry I probably am loading the show pieces in all wrong I bet- I think with this show i started with several show pieces such as the smaller 720 file which is my produced by - which i stretch in the editing window to fit the entire window and looks fine - then i placed several small vids that are theatre curtains and such (they are in HD) then i placed the Producer vid of the photos and then the rest of the videos with introduction HD vids in between.....  generally when i make a show i start from the beginning of the show since i hate having to add things after the fact since that is how slivers of files remain and cause problems... I'm now going to read what you have below and give it a try....

a. dragging a photo as the first file to the Timeline and then your videos

or

b. dragging the 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9 as the first file to the Timeline and then importing the 1080p and photos

or

c. dragging the 1080p as the first file to the Timeline and then importing the photos and 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic 16:9?

This is what I would like you to try....

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                                          • In Change Settings, set the project preset to NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p30@29.97. Then OK out of there.
                                          • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
                                          • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice. At this point, it does not matter which format you import first. The project settings will be for what you have set manually, that is, 1080p.

For the 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic on the Timeline, you can experiment with and with Field Option Reverse Field Dominance.

For any of the items on the Timeline, you could explore if a "tiny bit of Sharpen" improves the situation. See Expert workspace fX Effects/Blur & Sharpen/Sharpen. Depending on the circumstances, you could look at applying AntiFliicker Filter for the interlaced video (select the Timeline interlaced video, go to Applied Effects Tab/Applied Effects Palette/Motion Panel expanded....at the bottom of the Motion Panel expanded is the AntiFlicker Filter slider.

Also, how are you handling the 720 x 480 with regard to frame size and potential black borders in a 1920 x 1080 frame size?

ATR

• 18. Re: DVD burning or ISO creation problems
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

marys

Thanks for the further details. Typically I recommend the DSLR setting for 1920 x 1080 photos that are going into a Premiere Elements Timeline. Reports seem to indicate you get a sharper image in the DVD-VIDEO on DVD end product playback of those photos when you use those settings and details.

Generalization...If video and photos are going into a project, then I suggest the use of the project preset that matches the properties of the video. Then if photos are involved, I size the photos to the frame size of the project preset based on the video's property. More specific details if needed.

I just wrote a blog post on Project Presets. I am posting a link to it just it case the content may be of interest. The focus is on the default project preset but there is some overall information on project presets in it as well.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 11, 12, 13: More About Project Presets

ATR

• 19. Re: DVD burning or ISO creation problems
                                              marys73689090 Level 1

Thanks for the link I will refer to it. I have been trying your techniques since I read your previous info and the DVDs are better in the project preset so I'm now testing more on anti flickering and sharpening for the interlaced files...I didn't notice any change reversing field dominance. But i I will keep at it  as I think is a lot closer than I have been! I appreciate all your help!

• 20. Re: DVD burning or ISO creation problems
                                                marys73689090 Level 1

Romano

what are your suggestions for sizing photos for premiere? Thanks

meanwhile I continue to apply sharpen and anti flickers to my vids burning to DVD a bit at a time till i get it just right. Thanks for all the information!

• 21. Re: DVD burning or ISO creation problems
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

marys

Sounding good.

Lots of considerations related to sizing of photos for Premiere Elements. Keep in mind that video is going to be 4:3 or 16:9, and you could have source photos 4:3, 16:9, or 3.2.

1. If you have videos in your project, then I would set the project settings to match the properties of the source video. And, then resize or resize crop the photos depending on the aspect ratio of your video source that defined the project settings.

2. Because of your computer resource situation and the 32 bit application, resizing is indicated for photos grossly over 1920 x 1080 16:9. Under other circumstances, you might have considered importing the photos as is (assuming that they were just oversized for the project in the first place) and let the project resize them automatically to the frame size of the project preset. Or, you could just scale them yourself in the Edit area monitor after import.

3. I would probably resize to 1920 x 1080 16:9 and not to exceed that by much or as indicated by project performance. In your case, using photos oversized for the project settings is not expected to give better quality, rather likely to stress out the project. When you have Premiere Elements 13/13.1 in Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit with advanced amounts of RAM, you have a 64 bit application running in a 64 bit system with advanced computer resources.  Under those conditions

you might expect to get away without having to resize high resolution originals.

4. If your photo size is compromising the project (even at 1920 x 1080 16:9), you could even resize/crop as 856 x 480 16:9 which is the display for NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD arrived at by the 16:9 flag stretching the video to 856 x 480 16:9 for display after encoding.

5. If you can maneuver yourself into a DSLR project setting, the photos should export sharper than if you had used another project preset. Nonetheless, please set up according to the video in a video - photo projects.

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 22. Re: DVD burning or ISO creation problems
                                                    marys73689090 Level 1

I'm printing out all this invaluable info you've given me and saving to refer to next projects. I am familiar with the photo settings from producer but was confused when combining with video. This cleared it all up.

meanwhile still testing my new project (with its new project setting thanks to you) almost there. Thx