4 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2015 7:50 AM by rob day

Master Page Issues: folios and guides

SCNav

I am having two issues with shuffling pages between documents. I design a 300+ page catalog, and have to revisit it twice a year. Which means twice a year I'm having to manually fix these two issues . . . not a good use of time. Any tips are appreciated.

Since these both address master pages, I'm including a screen shot showing how I have them set up. I have a facing page "master spread" set up with left and right master pages assigned to that master spread.

Folio Issue

I have folios set up on my master pages. They are black, so when the folio goes over a dark image, I unlock it on the spread itself and turn it white. However, when I shuffle the pages between documents, the white folio stays, but the black one from the master page gets added back on. So I end up having to go through each page and delete the black folio. I suppose a work around would be setting up two master pages (one with white folios and one with black), but I'm wondering if there is any other solution. Note, the folios are on their own layer — and I've tried this with that layer locked and unlocked. Same problem either way.

Guides Issue

Again, this issue arrises when I shuffle spreads between documents (but it is not a problem when I move spreads within a document). My left and right pages have different guides due to margins and such. When I move a spread from one document to another, both the left and right page of the spread end up having the right page guides. I have to manually reassign each left page to have the left page guides.

Thank you for your help!

• 1. Re: Master Page Issues: folios and guides
          SCNav Level 1

Here is a screen shot of the document set up.

Also worth mentioning . . . when I have the issue with the guides, the guides actually stay correct. But the margins (the purple guides on the screen shot) shift to both be the right page margins.

Screen Shot 2015-05-22 at 10.41.31 AM.png

• 2. Re: Master Page Issues: folios and guides
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I suppose a work around would be setting up two master pages (one with white folios and one with black), but I'm wondering if there is any other solution.

Yes, you would have to set up a different master for the white folio—it could be based on the black version. An overridden master page item continues to have a relationship to the master. So if you shuffle a right page with an overridden item to the left, the relationship is still with the masterpage item on the right page of the master spread. You can delete the overridden item or you can choose PagesPanel>Masterpages>Remove Selected Overrides

When you move pages between documents the source page's layout could change if there's a master spread with the same name in the destination document. Do the source and destination documents have identical Masterpages both in name and content?

• 3. Re: Master Page Issues: folios and guides
              SCNav Level 1

Yes, the master pages are identical. The documents were all started from the same template, but I had to split it apart because there were so many pages.

I never switch a page from a left page to a right page, though. So in theory there shouldn't be a switch with the margins like I'm getting.

• 4. Re: Master Page Issues: folios and guides
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you post an sample?