8 Replies Latest reply on May 23, 2015 9:01 AM by A.T. Romano

I am making a slideshow with titles and I want the titles to show above the slide in the timeline, how to do this?

ginnid50147490

I don't understand titles, sometimes they show above a black video in the timeline and sometimes they do not.  I would like to be able to control when they come into the frame and when they go out, but they don't always show up above the frame in the timeline.  Sometimes they are combined in the title of the frame itself.  Obviously I do not understand how titles work.  Can you help me understand?  Thanks

• 1. Re: I am making a slideshow with titles and I want the titles to show above the slide in the timeline, how to do this?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

ginnid

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

Where are you creating this slideshow...in the Elements Organizer of the Premiere Elements version that you have or just in the Premiere Elements Editor workspace? If just in Premiere Elements Editor workspace, which workspace....Expert workspace or Quick workspace (if version 11, 12, or 13) or Timeline workspace or Sceneline workspace (in version 10 and earlier)?

Generalizing for now....you create your titles in the Titler workspace of the program. Your title goes automatically to the place where you have the Timeline Indicator positioned on the Timeline. Title goes on Video Track 2 when your video is on Video Track 1. When you want the title to fade in or out, you can apply shortcut Fade In Video and/or Fade Out Video to the title clip on Video Track 2. Right click the clip, select Fade, and then Fade In Video or Fade Out Video.

When you create a title, you have text on a black background. The black is not the color black. It is black used to represent transparency. Anything below the title file will show through that transparent area. When you deal with "Black Video" (from New Item), the black is the color black. If that were on Video Track 2, you would not see what is on Video Track 1.

Please review and consider the following Adobe document on titles.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/using/creating-trimming-titles.html

We will be watching for your reply with further details for your question.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: I am making a slideshow with titles and I want the titles to show above the slide in the timeline, how to do this?
            ginnid50147490 Level 1

I am working with Premier Elements 10 on a PC with Windows 8.1.  I am working in Timeline so that I can edit the length to match the music in my soundtrack.

Can you walk me through the steps.

What first?  Create the black video, then create the title? How do you insert them into the timeline to show as separate objects, the title showing in Video 2?  Then, how do the red brackets work when editing the length of the frame/title?  Do you start with the clip on the left or the right?  Do you start with the title or the black video?

In other words, can you give me a play by play just for these first few steps?

Thank you for your help

• 3. Re: I am making a slideshow with titles and I want the titles to show above the slide in the timeline, how to do this?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

ginnid

The basic question is what you want to do specifically or generally?

If you want to create a title page as a specialty page to start the lineup of files on the Timeline, then look to the beginning of the Timeline in the following screenshot. There I have

1. Placed a Black Video from New Item at the beginning of Video Track 1.

2. With Timeline Indicator, at the beginning of the Timeline, I went to Title Menu/New Titles/Default Title. When I clicked on Default Title, a title file was automatically placed on Video Track 2 directly above the Black Video on Video Track 1.

3. I replaced the default text "Add Text" with the text content wanted. Closed out of the Titler.

4. Then I right clicked the title file on Video Track 2, selected Fade from the pop up menu, and then Fade In Video. That placed two "Opacity keyframes" - first at the beginning for 0% Opacity (that means nothing from Video Track 2 can be seen - the second was placed at 1 second from the beginning, and this allowed for the text to be seen at 100% Opacity. Between 0 and 1 second, the Opacity gradually increased from 0 to 100 to Fade In. You will see these two keyframes as white dots on a horizontal orange line that runs across the Timeline title clip. You can use your mouse cursor to move this second white dot so that the Fade in is from 0 to 3 or other seconds if you want. In other words, the Fade In is adjustable. For the Fade Out, right click the title file, select Fade from the pop up menu, and then Fade out Video. That placed two "Opacity keyframes" - first Opacity 100% at 1 second from the end of the clip and second Opacity 0% at the end of the title file to create the Fade Out effect.

Think of this Black Video as just a non transparent black background clip for your designed title on Video Track 2. Some think that using Black Video as a Black Background gives a better look. But you do not really need it. Judge for yourself if it give you a better look than if you just create and use the title file without it.

10 Titles.JPG

Do not need the Black Video Clip. You could just create the title file and have it on at the beginning of Video Track 1.

Look further down the Timeline to where I have the second kind of title possibility.

1. You place the Timeline Indicator where you want the title to begin.

2. Title Menu/New Title/Default Title which puts the title file automatically on the Timeline directly above the clip on Video Track 1 where you want text to present within the frame.

Compare Title Page

text1.JPG

versus text to caption a video

text 2.JPG

In each case, I have the Timeline Indicator to show you the look at 100% Opacity and before the Fade Out for each file.

Lots more details. But let us see how you do with the above. Please let me know if you have questions or need clarification on any of the above.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: I am making a slideshow with titles and I want the titles to show above the slide in the timeline, how to do this?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

ginnid

Thanks for the replies and looking at the Premiere Elements workflow suggestions.

Are you expanding the Timeline with the -+ slider above the Timeline and/or increasing the track size (right click near track name, select track size, then Large).

1. Do you see Opacity:Clip Opacity in the title bar of the Timeline clip?

Again10-1.jpg

2. Did you get the pop up menu with Fade/Fade In Video and Fade Out Video choices?

Untitled-1.jpg

When you clicked on Fade In Video, did you see not see the white dots (Opacity Keyframes)?

FadeInFor.jpg

Please check out the above and then let us know the outcome. Any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: I am making a slideshow with titles and I want the titles to show above the slide in the timeline, how to do this?
                  ginnid50147490 Level 1

Thank you so much for your help yesterday.  I had to stop working on my

project yesterday because my computer was "tired"....after hours of working

on the video, the computer started running very slow.  So I gave it a break.

I will be looking into these things today and let you know if I have any

clarifying questions.

Again thanks

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 7:53 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 8. Re: I am making a slideshow with titles and I want the titles to show above the slide in the timeline, how to do this?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

ginnid

Thanks for the follow up.

I will be visiting here as usual during the holiday weekend and will be watching for your progress as your schedule permits.

Best wishes

ATR