3 Replies Latest reply on May 24, 2015 6:16 AM by 99jon

Apple Photos to LR

GigiMcL

I am new to LR and all my photos are in the Apple Photos.  I cannot get them into LR - is there an easy way to transfer all these photos without all the other stuff that is on my hard drive?

• 1. Re: Apple Photos to LR
          99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It’s probably best to export versions to the desktop or into named folders in Finder. They will contain any editing you have done in Photos or iPhoto. Then import the copies into LR using the “Add” function from the import dialog menu.

• 2. Re: Apple Photos to LR
            GigiMcL Level 1

Is it possible to export an entire folder and have them still be visible in Photos?  I don't want to take any chance of losing them!

• 3. Re: Apple Photos to LR
              99jon Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes of course. You are basically creating copies and that’s the point. In fact using Apple applications like Aperture and iPhoto, your images have already been duplicated and hidden in a folder called package contents, unless you are using a referenced library. The Apple system is designed for good reason to enable you to revert to an original, even if you have cropped or done other significant editing. With that understanding it’s always best to keep the two systems separate to avoid data corruption. You could keep all of your LR copies on an external hard drive but as you move forward you may wish to stick with one photo editing app. I keep all my masters (raw images) in LR and do all my editing in LR. I only export jpeg copies for use in iPhoto, for display purposes, typically the built in slideshows and events.